MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 22/01/1976

It's Pan's Day again! And I guess I should be more careful with my clues next time because today’s featured routine is indeed:

Midnight Rider
Performed by Paul Davidson and reaching number 10 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 22/01/1976 Duration of dance - 1.55 mins
Dancers: Cherry, Lee, Mary, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKtlMp3pU7w
(Thanks to Andeebee for a fresh copy!)

'Paul who?' I hear you say. Well I don’t know much about the man himself except that he’s Jamaican and this was his only ever chart hit. „Midnight Rider“ was composed by Gregg Allman of the Allman Brothers and their recording dates back from 1970. Produced by Pluto Shervington (of "Dat" fame), Paul Davidson’s reggae treatment entered the charts in late 1975, moving rather slowly upwards until it made a surprising leap from number 25 to number 10 in the week ending 24/01/1976, and that was when Pan’s People were asked to dance to this song.

When this record came out, I immediately liked it and still today I think it sounds pretty good. But the BBC had wiped the episode with this routine, so for many years it seemed it would be lost forever. Enter David 'Diddy' Hamilton who had a habit of recording all TOTP shows which he hosted, and fortunately someone got in contact with him and he returned his recordings to the Beeb. We can’t thank 'Diddy' enough for preserving gems like this, and even though the picture quality is a bit below broadcast standard, it’s still excellent for a home recording.

The routine is a favourite of mine, I think the girls just look lovely in their 'Western' suits. Another reason I picked this one is that I posted a classic Pan’s routine last week and I thought it would be a good idea to feature one of the later routines this week, not just one including Sue but also Lee & Mary. Watching this dance, I can’t help but be a bit sad that we did not see more of them than the six months or so that they were part of Pan’s People.
The only downside of this routine is its length, it’s much too short and cut during the guitar solo, which may be the best part of the song.

My rating for this is nothing short of 10.0. As Dancer of the Day I’ve chosen Lee, who is confidently taking the lead during several parts of this song and I just love her smile at 1:09.

Now ladies, will you please detain me!
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

BeautifulBabs
wow this might be a babless ten - any word limit VV ?

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

I love the costumes in this dance.A very evocative set,you can just about imagine them riding the lonesome plains under a red moon.The dance fits the music well,there is a percussive instrument which mimics the horse hooves.No-one really sticks out for me but i'll pick Mary cos i like her.
9/10.

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

This is very much my brand of Pans People, with those young cuties Cherry, Sue, Mary, Lee and err Ruth adding her experience to the dance troupe. Very rarely do i enjoy watching TOTPs dancers dance to reggae songs, mainly Flicks interpretation of it seems odd sometimes. In this at least shes inventive with the horse movements. But who can resist these girls wearing those costumes, they look smokin hot. The `Midnight` theme to the dance with the black background and the annoying shadows do make it harder to enjoy. A very short routine also. I think if i was watching this on TV in glorious picture quality i would go well over nine, but my ratings for this is 8.75.

Dancer of the day--Well its hard to choose, but my Silver Dollar goes to that young gun slinger Mary.

Ruth was 29 when this routine was performed. Back then she would have been old in my eyes, now she'd be young, LOL. Wish I was 29 again!
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

BeautifulBabs, you asked about a word-limit. Does this mean you are going to treat us to a long and informative essay on this dance ?

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

VintageVideos wrote
RYAN wrote
This is very much my brand of Pans People, with those young cuties Cherry, Sue, Mary, Lee and err Ruth
Ruth was 29 when this routine was performed. Back then she would have been old in my eyes, now she'd be young, LOL. Wish I was 29 again!
Yes Vin, we all wish we were 29 again, because as you rightly infer, 29 is young. But she was so much older than the next in line who must have been Cherry aged what, about 20 ?

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

Likes :

Not over literal
Great Costumes
Best Mary routine - she looks really happy and probably the best Lee routine too- I know others have named mary dancer of the day and but I'm not copying- its really her best one.
Girls look really... dare I say 'fit' - beautiful hot pants and flat stomachs.
My favourite routine of the last Pans lineup.
Beautiful cowgirl/horserider movements- rocking actions in perfect time
Girls look really happy
Like the Song
My favourite surviving routine of the last Pans lineup.
I was over the moon when this routine turned up.

Dislikes,:

Criminally short  &the shortest Pans routine on the blog- why go to all that trouble of an excellent choreography, beautiful costumes then give us less than 2 minutes- an extra minute would have got this into the best ever- Robin did you cut this because of Mary Whitehouse ?
You don't usually get a copper coloured moon at midnight
no Babs but then she was probably in Morocco filming or making Barney.

9 from me thank you Flick
could have written more on this friends ..........

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

Cherry was a few weeks before her 21st birthday, Sue & Lee were 20, and Mary was 17. Ruth once said that being (almost) 30 was a crucial factor why she stopped performing on TOTP.
Of course I quite understood what you said, she was a lot older than all the other girls. I only wanted to say a good word for her
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

But can i say its hardly noticeable that Ruth is much older than the other dancers in this. But i do think in a couple of other routines it does show. Please don't think im being unkind, just making an observation.

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

beautifulbabs wrote
9 from me thank you Flick
could have written more on this friends ..........
As long as I don't have to turn the page over to read your comments, that's fine with me. It's always interesting to read what others like or dislike.
No ten from you then, well I understand, no Babs here.

I hope one day the 'complete' 3 1/2 minute performance will turn up in the BBC archive on a lost tape...
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

I like the outfits, very Cadbury's Dairy Milk, in those light conditions, this though, is another routine with no descernable set, it's basically just a darkened stage with minimal props with only low-light showing up the ladies costumes. Apart from that, the actual dance routine's very good, I just love the swinging of hips, which to my mind, really befits the reggae-based music track, accompanying this routine.

7/10

DotD:-

Mary

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

BeautifulBabs
I love Ruth for saying in diggin the dancing queens she was nearly thirty when pans finished, that a dancers career is short and that the camera was not always kind then- some of her very best routines are wiped and in spite of this she could hold her own in this particular routine.

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

Of course a member of Legs & Co was 2 years older than Ruth when Legs stint on the programme ended. Yes i agree Ruth didn't look at all any different to the young uns in `Midnight Rider`. For me she looked, shall we say, a lot senior in age on `A Kind Of Hush`. But it was really nice of FC to give Ruth a good send off on `Silver Star`in which she turned the clock back a few years and looked quite sensational. Hey Vin, sorry ive turned this into a Ruth discussion, best get back on topic.

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

VintageVideos
No that's ok, Ryan, it's not too often we discuss Ruth here.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

Ryan I think Ruth would agree with you too but as you say back to topic and I'm not helping.

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

I like this one too.  Jolly good Reggae version of the song (dare I say better than the original although I like the Allmans' version too) and the ladies look mighty fine in their regalia, welll described by PBP as Cadbury's Chocolate I think.  The moves are smooth and the horses would be jolly lucky.  The focus could certainly be a little better and the cameras closer but overall I really enjoy this so I'd say 8.5/10.  DotD is tricky but any costume showing the midriff gives Cherry an unfair advantage in my book and as usual Deputy Gillespie is making some becoming faces too so I am awarding her the prize.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings but take it from me that, even though I agree all too brief, I am afraid this is all the Dance ever was and ever will be, unless Diddy turned off the VCR and quickly flicked it back on for Evil Woman just to frustrate us all (and this I doubt).

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

VintageVideos
PattiforPM wrote
I never doubted that this version is exactly what was broadcast. Watching it though, I tend to believe, it may not be live in the studio but a prerecorded routine which may exist longer somewhere....
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

Certainly one of my favourite Pans from 1976 - good moves, great costumes, just a bit more light and a little longer and this would score very very highly but still well worth an 8.5 from this viewer.

Re: MIDNIGHT RIDER -- 1976

full record is 3.05 mins and I'm sure Flick would have had that full single but we have is what was broadcast I'm sure just a bit frustrating friends we were robbed of a minute so the nine o'clock news could start on time.