MISTY BLUE

   Misty Blue is a Country and Western and R&B Classic written by Buddy Holly’s BFF Bob Montgomery in 1966.  He originally wrote it for the apparently rather opinionated Brenda Lee who refused to record it although several hundred decent to good singers  have disagreed with Ms Lee since then and recorded it quite willingly and with more than a modicum of success with the listening and record-buying Public.  It has crossed over from Country and Western to R&B and fine artists such as Eddy Arnold, Billy Jo Spears, Reba McEntire, Ella Fitzgerald (my favourite version), Mary J Blige, Connie Francis, Sheena Easton, Etta James and even an Artiste once associated with the Artist who used to be known as Prince (and then not for a while but now perhaps is again).
   Dorothy Moore recorded a version in 1973 and it was released and very successful in 1976 reaching #3 in the Hot 100 and #5 in the UK Charts.  Ms Moore is a renowned R&B singer born in Jackson Mississipppi and her favourite pastime is apparently fishing (honestly guys).

                    MISTY BLUE   -   Dorothy Moore                                        June 24th 1976

                                         DANCER:     Cherry

               LINK:    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26ailp_ruby-flipper-misty-blue-totp-tx-24-06-1976_creation

       A Cherry solo when she is dressed in a gossamer-thin blue dress in soft focus is hard not to admire and I’m not trying.  This emotionally charged performance does really appeal to me although I would have liked a few more close-ups of the this lovely Dancer.  I also like the set which is set up for Ms Gillespie to tug at our heart strings like a Fairy Princess dancing on an enchanted pond.  I do like the song too and I’m awarding 9/10  for this fine effort.  Please join me in commenting friends, at least any of you who have ever had someone in your life who fits the line “Just the thought of you turns my whole World Misty Blue” (yes, the lucky ones I think!)

Re: MISTY BLUE

Paperboyplod
How's that for a literal dance routine, practically the only visible objects that didn't appear to be Misty Blue, were Cherry's flesh, & her hair, but that made it look all the more mysterious, like an enigma, & the way that she seemed to float about the stage, alongside the soft focussing, made it also look like a dream sequence.

Re: MISTY BLUE

Suefan
A favourite from the Flipper era with one of the most effective of minimalist sets.  The ethereal lighting contrasts nicely with Cherry's vibrant performance so I'm giving this a 9.  A shame that on subsequent editions of the show they broadcast the promo rather than turning again to the Flippers.  Would have been great to see both Patti and Sue given the chance to perform this routine as well.

Re: MISTY BLUE

Yes its a pleasent enough dance with Cherry in full flow. But a bit of a boring song for me im affraid. Certainly not my favourite Ruby solo, and i can only offer up a `7 out of 10`

Re: MISTY BLUE

PaulF
Good routine, danced beautifully by Cherry 8/10
Paul

Re: MISTY BLUE

Mikey
Yes, a proper Cherry solo is just what the doctor ordered, and she does a sterling job in bringing life to this rather sedate track. The dance features some rather exaggerated body movements and theatrics, and her trademark hair flicking to maximum effect, all whilst covering a large area of the stage. The set guys have gone with a blue theme, and Cherry is of course wearing blue all a bit predictable but it looks nice, just a shame the camera is zoomed out most of the time.

Re: MISTY BLUE

VintageVideos
Nice routine, but not one that I watch often. I don't mind the song occasionally but the dance and the setup - sorry to say - I find a bit boring. The most exciting part is the rare namecheck by David Hamilton
It's not Cherry's fault though, she's giving her all.

7.5 / 10

Re: MISTY BLUE

VintageVideos wrote
The most exciting part is the rare namecheck by David Hamilton
I think it would be fair to say that DH gave more name checks to the dancers than any other host. I can immediately think of `Yesterday` were he mentions Cherry and `Silly Loves Songs` were the 3 girls also get the name check treatment. Are there any more ?

(sorry P4PM for deviating of topic)

Re: MISTY BLUE

PattiforPM
No worries Ryan.  I can' think of any other namechecks on RF apart from the silly Tidybeard postscripts for Patti.  If anyone else spots one feel free to post it here.  In the meantime, may I ask for more views on "the lovely Cherry" in Misty Blue please?

Re: MISTY BLUE

Andeebee
I do like this complete with the thinly veiled material just about covering Cheryl's charms......nice track, nice mood, too much blue, but hey lashings of sexiness..

The only Cherry routine that gets

10/10

er DOTD, er....mmm...get back to you

Re: MISTY BLUE

Colm
Of the few true solo routines we got to enjoy on TOTP, this is one of the best. Beautiful dancing, delightful setting, and I think Flick chose well with Cherry for this routine - a vindication of why she was part of two troupes for almost four years.

Also, this is another song that for me, makes the song a lot better.

Score: 10

Re: MISTY BLUE

Doubleday
Compare with 'My Father' from Pan's People In Concert - another fine Cherry solo in similar vein. 8.5 / 10

Re: MISTY BLUE

Gorgeous Daze
In this chilly underworld complete with icicle-like draping, with Cherry kept at a distance most of the time, this is more like Icy Blue. Cherry looks divine and excels in this expressive dance, which her long locks accentuate. The slowing down of the film provides lingering lovelorn moments. But how to score when it's like a supermodel: beautiful but boring? When Cherry's performance probably deserves a ten, but I find the song as dull as dish-water?

7/10 seems about right.

Re: MISTY BLUE

PattiforPM
Thanks for your votes friends.  Good point about the PP In Concert dance DD, I'm always so drawn to the Louise and Dee Dee duet on the cushions that I forget to watch the rest of the Dances but must give it another couple of look-throughs as it's been some time.  A little surprised the song is not universally popular.  I came across the "Lady Sings the Blues" CD on one of our Summer Cottage Rental stays and cranking it up each morning over coffee while looking out over misty Lake Huron has made this one of my favourites.  I hope there are still more opinions to hear folks

Re: MISTY BLUE

One of my favourite Flipper dances,and a great song too.The set and lighting are good,and i don't feel there is simply too much blue.Cherry's dancing is beautifully expressive,and it feels just right for the mood of the song.I love the close-ups of Cherry as her facial expressions add so much to her overall performance.10/10

Re: MISTY BLUE

Old Bill
GD's supermodel comparison sums it up perfectly.

Cherry's performance is faultless, sultry and seductive, emotional and heartfelt - especially towards the end where the song picks up. But all the time I'm wanting it to be more like Annie's Song.

The combo of a wonderful dance but very dull song result in a I'm sorry say bit a dull routine, but that takes nothing away from CG or FC.

7/10.

And any resemblance to Kenneth Williams is purely coincidental!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: MISTY BLUE

PattiforPM
Great to see comments from SuPALu and OB on here again, thanks lads.  Interesting how this performance and song seem perhaps a little sterile to some but really perfect to others.  As I've said I'm in the latter camp but I can see the alternative view too.  Vive la difference I say

Re: MISTY BLUE

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: MISTY BLUE

Paperboyplod
In which case we'd just be looking at an emply blue lit stage, depicting a wintery scene.

Re: MISTY BLUE

PattiforPM
LOL, priceless PBP