MORE, MORE, MORE -- 29/04/1976

More, More, More
Performed by The Andrea True Connection and reaching number 5 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 29/04/1976 Duration of dance - 2.08 mins
Dancers: Cherry, Mary, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdcFVi3xDzY

But if you want to know how I really feel, get the cameras rollin', get the action goin'

Andrea Marie Truden, better known by her stage name Andrea True, was an American actress and singer, who sadly passed away in November 2011. Seeking fame as a film star, she incidentally took part in the making of an adult movie and ended up performing in more than 50 hardcore porn films until the mid 80's.

In 1975, Andrea recorded the song "More, More, More" with producer Gregg Diamond during a stay on the island of Jamaica. After the track had been remixed by recording engineer Tom Moulton, it was released under the name "The Andrea True Connection". Starting from discos and nightclubs, the single became an instant smash, ultimately reaching the Top 5 on both sides of the Atlantic. It turned out to be her sole substantial hit though, as further 45's just troubled the lower regions of the charts.

Being an American, Andrea didn't appear on TOTP in person. When she was riding high at No. 5 in May 1976, TOTP showed a video - the same video that was aired on Musikladen later that month. But two weeks prior, Pan's People were dancing to her record as a foursome. As you all know by now, this was the last TOTP ever for Pan's People. Lee had left four weeks earlier, Ruth had decided to give up dancing, Mary would go on to join The Young Generation, and Sue & Cherry would be part of a new mixed troupe that was yet to be introduced to the general public.

Considering these circumstances, "More, More, More" is a stunning testimony of the dancers' professionalism. What we see is a cheerful performance with no signs of sadness, frustration or even dispute on display. Picture yourself stranded on a South Sea island, when suddenly you're struck by the sight of four native girls dressed in grass skirts and bikinis, dancing in a wooden cage. That's how I feel when I'm watching this routine. Granted, sometimes the wooden poles get in the way, but there are some lovely close-ups to make up for that.

This is one of my favourite routines from the final Pan's People incarnation, and as such deserves a rating of
9 / 10.

My Dancer of the Day is Sue who seems to brim over with self-confidence.

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

PansLegs
I tend to think of this final Pans line-up as the Fab Four! It almost seems that everyone knows the writing is on the wall for Pans and for whatever reason, there's a last hurrah of really fine performances. I can't quite put my finger on it but the end result is some great little routines and here the audience is even treated to a blown kiss - goodbye perhaps?

Lovely costumes which only serve to emphasis the natural beauty of these four lovely ladies and a simple but effective set design. This is one of those tracks where it was obviously extremely difficult not to end up singing along, with Ruth (as was often the case) having particular difficulty but even Cherry does as well in places.

Just as we hit the instrumental break the performance is cut criminally short! I strongly suspect that at least another minute was recorded but for whatever reason, possibly timings for the episode as a whole, it was later cut down.
9/10, Dotd Sue

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

mojo2007
I just looked for Andrea True , turns out she was  a porn star , and there quite tale behind this track.  What a farewell  for the lovely Ruth !

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

JEZ
i remember in 1989 a video to celebrate 25 years was bought out ,and i remember being so excited in the shop when i saw pans people were on the video ,as this was the first time since 1976 that pans people had ever been seen doing a routine ,it was long before the days of internet popularity and even if you had a computer there were certainley no pp dances there ,no nostalgia tv programmes featuring the girls had been made by then ,so as i say it was a real rare treat ,and the dance featured on the first totp video 25 year release was more more more ,i often wondered why the video release people chose the last line up of pans to represent the dance troupe ,but i would imagine whoever put the video together probably hadnt got a clue on pps line ups ,anyway back to the dance ,i love the song ,like the outfits and especially like the bit where the camera shows the girls faces one by one and they do that little arm movement ,the dance to me deserves a 9 ,and dancer is ruth

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

A double bill of Pan's People starts with this particular dance routine, & it looks like the ladies are behind bars, that they've tried to break away from, hence all of the gaps in them.
There's a burlesque theme happening as well, with some belly dancing which is a delight to watch.
The blowing if kisses for their audiences, is also a very pleasant touch.

9/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

Colm
A sad irony that there was just one more, more, more routine from Pan's People after this breath-taking and beautifully-choreographed routine. I like the spins, the arm movements, and the two kisses blown to the cameras.

DotD: Ruth - as she's clearly loving the moment, and this sets her up nicely for "Silver Star".

Score: 8.5

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

This one's fun.  These ladies look just delightful in the grass skirts, brief bikini tops and heels.  When they come towards us and end it with a blown kiss I all but collapse with glee.  Thankfully the poorly constructed shelter gives us a largely unobstructed view of the proceedings and the lighting and close ups are very well done indeed.  My sincere thanks go to the guy who removed the Tarpaulin.   For me Sue is the focus and I love her long wavy haired look and enthiusiasm in this one so she gets my nod for DotD.  It is all over a little too quickly but this is really my only criticism other than a mediocre song so this gets an easy 9/10 from me and I must say it does not look at all like a Troupe ready to retire!

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

Quite like the routine and song, do not like the obtrusive and unnecessary scenery. The irresistible `Sue` for my Dotd.

`8 out of 10`

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

PaulF
Like the song and routine, and I will resist my natural choice of typing those three little letters for DOTD. I think that this dance indicates that Ruth left too early and still had plenty of raunchiness to be able to continue in front of the camera. We were robbed.

9/10 DOTD RUTH
Paul

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

PaulF wrote
 I think that this dance indicates that Ruth left too early and still had plenty of raunchiness to be able to continue in front of the camera. We were robbed.

9/10 DOTD RUTH
Sorry Paul i totally disagree with that. In those last few weeks of Pans People with Ruth dancing with the 3 young uns, i think it became patently clear to her that her time was up and it was time to move on. Yes i hate to quote numbers but she was 9 years older than both Cherry & Sue and a dozen years older than Mary.

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

BeautifulBabs
deserved vote for ruth but ruth made the decision with flick to wind down pans as she was retiring and in her own words( from diggin the dancing queens) a dancers career is short and the camera isn't so kind. I dont think ruth dancing in flipper would have worked and that wasnt her plan

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

PaulF
Fair enough and at least she stopped on a high, but as a Ruth fan just a little sad that this was her last performance.
Paul

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

A favourite from the final few months and if grass skirts don't quite pip string vests this still gets a 10 from me.  Fortunately whoever constructed that shelter wasn't expecting any storms on the desert island and it isn't too intrusive, while the dance flows with ease and style indicative of a troupe at the top of their game.  All four ladies are lovely and so as ever choosing a Dotd is difficult. In other circumstances Sue would be my pick but since this was Mary's last TOTP she is my Girl Friday.

PS.  I'm fairly sure there was More More More but sadly it landed on the edit room floor.

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

PattiforPM
Tragic to think that a piece of Mr Nicholas or a whole chunk of Laurie Lingo could have been on that same floor in its place SF

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

Old Grey Whistler
I don't really understand why it was necessary to have Pans People in a cage but thankfully the bars don't get in the way too much, as they are on top form performing a hugely enjoyable dance. I know they still had one more dance to do, but the blown kisses make me feel as though this was Pans People kissing us goodbye.
I have no hesitation at all in scoring this 10 out of 10.
Dancer of the day is tricky though. For sentimental reasons, I was tempted to vote for either Ruth or Mary with them both on their final show, but in the end I have tossed sentiment to one side and voted for Sue.

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

This is the penultimate dance routine of Pan's People. The ladies in this version of Pans was Ruth, Sue, Cherry and Mary. The routine itself is fabulous. The ladies are wearing red bikini tops and grass skirts. The ladies are dancing in a wooden cage, with the cameras going round and looking in. The ladies during the routine would come up to the camera. And then going back to the middle of the stage.

Why Sue for the Dotd well for the wonderful smile at the camera. As well as the wonderful dancing she does through out the routine.

The score will be 9 out of 10

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

Old Bill
More More More, or as Blacker's garbles it "More...... More-more". And after does he say "Pan's People must have been members of the rafia..."?? Buffoon.
**EDIT** or was he making some joke about raffia, and the bamboo cage looking like a 70s style arts & crafts type construction...? Still a buffoon.

Interesting as although PP are shortly about to leave the building it seems someone is trying to keep them imprisoned in TC6. But even those bamboo bars weren't to be sturdy enough.

A nice song, and nice dance. Of course they're the pros we know them to be, so whatever emotions they're going through they would never let them show on stage.

They look great, and the looks and smiles and kisses to camera are very welcomed!

A nice dance it is, but it's not the most fancy or challenging... so I'm dishing out a 7.5/10. And DotD is lovely sing-alonging Ruthie. Aging?? She's not past it! I don't really think that a relatively gentle and undemanding dance like this beyond the talents of a fit 29 year old dancer at all especially one of Miss Pearson's calibre!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

Old Bill wrote
And DotD is lovely sing-alonging Ruthie. Aging?? She's not past it! I don't really think that a relatively gentle and undemanding dance like this beyond the talents of a fit 29 year old dancer at all especially one of Miss Pearson's calibre!
No i agree if Ruth was still dancing with her mates Babs & Dee Dee she wouldn't be past it, infact she would top the three. But next to the youthful Cherry, Sue & Mary, hmm not so sure.
RYAN
LNV

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

LNV
A pleasant, agreeable dance from what was to be the final four to the finishing line of the Pans People era. Up to 1975 Pans’ to me were still for the most part at the forefront of where tv light-entertainment dance was at.
A year on and we are without Babs and Dee Dee and their absence makes me aware that we have arrived at the fading glow of the Pans’ halo.

Angelic as these four are, there is a lack of fire about their performances, the dance is too languid I suppose, which well done and all that yes; but nothing about this  dance really grabs my interest. A trifling concoction that looks good to the eye with the Girls midriffs on display and splashes of pop-out red colour with their bikini tops, flower in hair and flowery patterned Hawaii-like scarves to be seen around waist.

Dancing against an all too seen black backdrop, overused by those cheapskates at the ‘70’s BBC which straight away kills off any feeling of tropical warmth, so the nicely flowing dance moves as Pans’ offer up are made to look a little inappropriate and a bit silly.  That though defines the end of days Pans to me. Itchycoo Park being the absolute definition of such faded glory that I must witness.

I can’t get immersed in this Pans’ experience as I can with other dances. I like the music, the breathy vocals add a much needed Island Girl spice that is missing from this dance. If only Pans’ had taken the route of or been allowed to be, slightly raunchier as does befit the song; this may well have been a much more…more talked about classic.

Re: MORE, MORE, MORE -- 1976

Gorgeous Daze
I love this record, it's one of my favourites of 76. No need for direction when you can drift along with something this good. Its laid-back disco sound is as suited to a deckchair and cocktail as it is the dance-floor. The costumes are just right for it even without the Island back story, and the dance captures the feel of the song very well (at least the superficial feel!). The grouped kisses, whether sweet nothings or meaningful goodbyes, are guaranteed to melt hearts. It is then a pity that I find the breached cage more ugly and intrusive than most. A more aesthetically pleasing and open set to convey native life would have made a lot of difference. Perhaps this was a hurried B side of Silver Star. So frustrating do I find it I would have finally lost patience and shouted 'Cut!' right about the time it prematurely ends.

DOTD could have deservedly gone to any of them. Young Mary gets my nomination. Merits an 8/10 despite the bars.