MORE THAN A WOMAN -- [May]

MORE THAN A WOMAN  Dance/performance number 101 by Legs & Co
Performed by   Tavares   and reaching number 7 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  11/05/78  Duration of dance --  2.23 mins
Dancers --  Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie,Sue

Pauline 97           Gill 93
Lulu 94               Patti 93
Rosie 94              Sue 92
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2389t7_legs-co-more-than-a-woman-totp-tx-11-05-1978_creation

Song=Great, Dancers=Great, Routine=Great, Camera work=Awful. Yes my only gripe about this one is the shoddy camera work. The dance troupe is named Legs & Co yet for large chunks of this we only see them above knee height only, this has always irked me somewhat about this routine. Instead the cameraman, obviously under instructions from the production team treats us to views of the ornate TOTPs ceiling, note the pic below.

Apart from that its a superb routine. The unfussy scenery is perfect, with the orange coloured backdrop, and the row of lights. My favourite scene is when they approach the camera with index finger raised like a cricket umpire. I have to admit i much prefer the original recording by the brothers Gibb, but this version is pretty good. Was there ever a set of lyrics that suited our dancers better than this ?

DOTD. The ever impressive Rosemary again stakes a claim here, for me she is rapidly climbing my personal favourite chart and is challenging Lulu for number two spot. But there can only be one on this and for me its `Patti`. Okay shes been given the lead in this, but takes full advantage and looks mightily impressive with some splendid moves.

Rating, well because of the production woes i mentioned above, im going to give this 8.75 out of 10.

**EDIT**--I forgot to mention this is one we wont be seeing on BBC4.

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

Doc
I think I know who'll get dotd just by looking at the pictures. But I'll watch it later just to make sure.

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

It's criminal that this is not being shown 'to protect the public' as I'm sure it would look even better for an improvement in the picture quality. I have to agree that it could have been worthy of a 10 had the camera man not been so interested in the ceiling!
As for dotd, I knew who that was going to be about 3 seconds in and I wasn't disappointed. The song title is certainly apt, For me Rosemary's 1978 hot streak continues!
Stu

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

Stu
I've always liked this song so when I saw the thread I eagerly clicked the link with great anticipation, and I wasn't disappointed.  Great routine, very sexy, the girls look amazing, and DOTD was an easy choice.

9/10

DOTD - Patti

Stuey

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

VintageVideos
Sigh... this could have been so much better but I have to agree that the camera work is very bad here. Nevertheless I enjoy this one, and the song is good as well, so I'm giving it an 8.5 out of 10.
DotD: Patti

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

I totally agree with all that has been said about the camera's preoccupation with the Yin and Yang ceiling feature here but I also don't like the lighting and background colour which seem curiously unflattering in what could easily have been a piping hot visual experience wih the ladies dressed like this and moving so well.  Ths song isn't top of my pops either and I prefer the Bee Gees own version.  Having griped so much though the Troupe does look fantastic and the 3-2-1 dancers on stage is a technique I always like when Flick designs it and, yes, when the "1" is Patti it's impossible to resist giving this poetess in motion DotD so Patti it is and the mark is 6/10.

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

Paperboyplod
The sort of routine where you're naturally going to exploit to sexual allure of the female species, to compliment this particular song, the ladies here are are almost naked compared with the recent Back In Love Again routine, the only really visible clothing is the bikini tops, their limbs are all completely bare.
But they still look very classy, the kind of girls that you'd feel calm about bringing home to your parents.
The dancing itself is fairly ordinary, with an almost empty set, with a yang/yin symbol decoration hanging over the stage, providing at least something interesting amongst the stage furniture, & with a reddish hue bathing the dancers.

7/10

DotD:-

Rosie

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

great song, marred camerawork, I disagree the Bside original version by the Bee gees is awful.

This could of been so much better and alot more classy. Regardless it's still a routine we have in better quality than before as we won't see this one on BBC4, but on reflection I can't stop watching this

DOTD: yes the Patti praise machine jogs on.

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

Colm
I'll go with the consensus that the troupe barely put a foot wrong and that the mise-en-scene lets this routine down.

My score: 8 and my Dancer of the Day: the glorious Patti

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

Gorgeous Daze
After last week's modest look, here we see more of these women. I'm not complaining. Disco swim-suits and gold heels will do nicely. It's a similarly minimalist set, but frankly any adornments would have been a waste of license payers' money. We would hardly have taken much notice. I guess that having installed the mysterious ceiling feature they felt they better give us a good gander. However, it isn't overly shown. And when in view it doesn't for me cause the cutting off of enough of the ladies to spoil the routine. Happy faces, lots of arm movements and spins, arched backs, sashaying in and out of shot, it's all executed without a hitch and it flows along just fine. DOTD is Patti who as usual provides a sterling performance in the central role.

8.5/10. Impossible not to like but it doesn't quite have the wow factor of my very favourite routines.

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

I like this one even if the background colour seems a little at odds with the choice for the costumes.  Not a big fan of dark outfits though so it isn't one I play very often.  GD's final remark fits the bill for me as well but I'd only go up to a 7.5.

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

Old Bill
Readying Ryan's preview I was a bit worried... the lack of Legs & Co's legs wasn't quite as bad as I thought it might. Sure the obsession with the ceiling was a bit annoying, but it did nicely show-off the set, which I think we all agree was rather nice.
In fact the ceiling shots do make a bit of a visual break from the screen just being our beloved dancers. Maybe something that's missed on us but perhaps making for a better piece of entertainment to the everyday viewing LC-neutral public back then?

But boy, when we see legs do we see legs! Perhaps the higher-shots were there to give the older's pulses amongst us a chance to slow down.

A great dance, and a catchy song. My biggest gripe though is that they all don't get the chance of a solo. Not there's anything wrong with the young lady that did get to hog the solo spot.

I really like the hairs of Pauline and Rosie. Pauline's for volume and Rosie's for flicky-flyiness. (That's a hairdressing term)

I have to say that Sue looks absolutely breathtaking here. Just totally lovely, lithe and totally on top her game.

But my DotD has to go to the aforementioned solo-hogger : Patti. Totally deserved anyways with some lovely moves - but with all that time with the camera to herself how could it not be??

And 8.5/10 for a smashing dance.

Jeremiah 31:13

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

PaulF
I really wanted to vote for Sue, looking beautiful and usual faultless performance, but I have to agree with the majority and say Patti really looked stunning and nailed her solo performances. Routine good music good 8/10

Sorry Sue DOTD Patti.
Paul

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

Lookmacinanger
Tough assignment for this cameraman, (Does he go in close or move back and keep calm)

A no win situation!

An effortless performance by everyone

8/10

Dotd, Patti
LNV

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

LNV
Kinda looks like it was filmed for an old newsreel, with its sepia tone that sweeps over the whole presentation.  Patti has the solo piece and that can be a double-edged sword, and here it is. If you’ve been given the solo spot in a Routine it is a win it or lose it moment. To either show us a sparkling solo or a dismal dance; no one can fault Patti’s ability. Oh my, how that past ballet training came in handy for Patti’s high kicks, I mean she almost touches her nose with her toes! The heel clicks too are technically perfect no doubt, though in that area I am not qualified to judge. What I can say is like Shania Twain, “It don’t impress me much.” In terms of a wow factor, comes across as looking a little silly, but so has Rosie with her solo moments in a troupe dance, [How Deep is your Love].

Now I can understand why Flick had Sue M as her favoured solo artiste, can’t recall Sue being anything other than totally assured and dignified at these moments.
My interest wanders towards Lulu often,  I am surprised that I don’t ditch Rosie as my favourite as Lulu is on many occasions such a sexy little minx! Lulu gets the idea of what tv dancing is about, aware that the public are not keen devotes of the terpsichorean art, the TOTPs dance segment is an after-school or after-work pick me up for the fatigued multitude.

6/10 I’ll be stricter with my points, I felt let down...again. As a consumer of the Legs & Co product I didn’t feel like I had got my money’s worth, not enough thrilling ‘bang for my buck.’ And where was Pauline? Her face at times was swamped by her black crowns nest of a hair-do, just looks silly...again.

DotD: Patti. Did what was asked of her, and does an efficient job, that no one else could have bettered, unless Sue of course; but that is unknowable.

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

PattiforPM
I just don't know, LNV.  You're still original even after ten others have already commented.  I find myself agreeing with much of what you say and then wanting to argue about a few issues too.  I sense that old Patti-ambivalence of yours  and it always makes me want to reply but not sure I know what to say here.  Your forthrightness still has the ability to throw me off balance I think.

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

Adorable Gillusion
This post was updated on .
Really like the idea of the girls coming and going off the stage...works well. I think Gill's experience as a former beauty queen shines through as her poses are delish. Rosie's lovely long legs are another highlight, but Patti's solos are the main attraction for me, although quite basic moves for such a talented lady, Patti looks divine and her high kicking is amazing....mmmm dreamy! 7.5/10

DOTD....Patti

P4PM....Think LNV is just teasing you

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

Any chance of a score rating for this one AG ?

Re: MORE THAN A WOMAN (1978)

Adorable Gillusion
Sorry Ryan, I was dreaming
12