MORNING DANCE [August]

MORNING DANCE Dance/performance number 175 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Spyro Gyra  reaching number 17 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  09/08/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.45 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      158
Pauline 157
Rosie    155
Patti     154
Gill       151
Lulu      150
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21eb5i_legs-co-morning-dance-totp-tx-09-08-1979_creation

    Ive never had the foggiest who these Spryo Gyra geezers were so i googled em. Gotta say im still really none the wiser, seems the dudes are still around today, but i cant say i recognize any of their songs that they have made.
    As for this particular melody, well it has a funky Caribbean flavour to it and Legs dance a pleasant routine, if not a truely memorable or outstanding one. FC uses a favorite thing of hers, the hidden doorway of which our dancers emerge in different numbers. The girls each sporting a different coloured costume dance and prance about the black and white set (yes black and white was so 79 wasn't it) each putting on a good showing. Highlights of the routine, well Pauline & Rosie frolicking and having a laugh during to the xylophone middle eight section and Sues brief solo which will be used in the `Some Girls` Xmas clip, when it gets speeded up to make Sue look even more skillful.

Rating--The dancing is great on the eye, the girls as sexy as ever, the music does get on my nerves after a while though. Ive always classed this as a middle ranking routine, so im gonna give it `8 out of 10`.

DOTD--They all look great in their silky name emblazoned vests with those matching sexy silky drawers. But im once again lured in by pretty in pink, so its `Sue` for me.

Re: MORNING DANCE

Colm
Another cool summer tune which I'm slightly miffed is being missed out on a BBC Four repeat this time around.

The sequences are all perfect in my opinion, the personalised vests and the colours contrasting with the white set are fresh and funky, and the whole routine a great showcase of dancing and performing talent. I especially love Rosie and Pauline's double act and Sue's solo - our favourite lady is on a real roll in recent performance.

DotD: Sue - who is definitely building up a nice lead now...

Score: 9.5 - doesn't quite get a ten, but worthy of a high score.

Re: MORNING DANCE

Gorgeous Daze
This inoffensive summery instrumental is pleasant enough, if a little anodyne. It's the kind of thing a company would use to place a phone caller on hold and before long it would have the opposite to the soothing effect intended. In this small dose it would be ideal for a pretty garden scene illuminated by Auntie's rays of sunshine, and I find this sterile environment and harsh white light ill-suited. It's as if aliens have abducted six perfect specimens of womankind. However, the main thing is the very good visibility and that makes it so the set isn't a big issue.

It was an era of shiny sports-wear and our girls look super-fit, with the important addition of high heels. Again, the music doesn't exactly cry out for this look and again it's not a stylistic choice to complain about. Personalized gear is always met with approval and it's appreciated all the more because it's seldom seen. I'm assuming the sporting event is taking place at Peters Park, as Pauline's the only one in her home colour. Host lady's prerogative was probably the reason she reappeared getting on for a minute later after the off. In vivid red among the pastel shades Patti sticks out like whatever the opposite of a sore thumb is. Dancing is the name of the game and what's most important and that does suit the music perfectly. It could have encouraged coasting, but that isn't in evidence. The light and easy vibe is injected with playfulness, it's wonderfully smooth, and mastered to gold medal standard. With a changing roster of everything from one to six dancers to ensure rapt attention throughout. One of my favourite bits is Pauline and Rosie's mirror-dancing, which works a treat with the whimsicality of the xylophone. But DOTD goes to Sue for rising with impressive aplomb to the brisk jazz-tinkle challenge and winning.

My only criticism that matters a little is there are no more close-ups after the start; but as for the girls, take a lap of honour. Please.

Re: MORNING DANCE

PaulF
One of my favourites that I enjoy watching often. The girls do a fantastic graceful job in high heels and what looks like a slippery floor, and I watch with awe at Rosie and Paulines immaculate timing as they join Sue after her mesmerizing solo. No hesitation in giving a 10.

DOTD I would like to vote for all but as I have to pick one then its the lady in pink gets the medal with the others mentioned in dispatches
Paul

Re: MORNING DANCE

This dance routine looks like one that should've been performed after all of the dancers had returned from their holidays, what with the names being pinned onto their outfits, as if to re -introduce them in case they'd been forgotten about during their breaks.
It all seems to take place inside a gigantic light box, with the lid raised, exposing the darkness outside, it's also clever the way they all can emerge from behind a screen that we, the viewers can't see easily.

8/10

Rosie

Re: MORNING DANCE

Bright, light-footed and delightfully jazzy stuff; this one is just asking to be enjoyed with a cocktail on a Summer afternoon.   The setting is a little odd in a way but highlights the dancers perfectly on the other hand.  The ladies look just divine in their matching shorts and tops and the mood is happy and sweet.  I cannot resist Patti when she is in this warm smiling and ultra-lithe mode and I will not try so she's DotD although everyone is good here and it's just plain good entertainment.  It's dances like this that make me think it would have been such a shame if they had disappeared in a mere 3 minutes 35 years ago and of course we're making sure that doesn't happen (along with the continuing efforts of BBC4 I trust).  9.5/10 for me please.

Re: MORNING DANCE

Andeebee
Well crafted and joyful light jazzy 3 mins of glaring white fun, the colourful costumes against the white highlight the fabulous Legs & Co, those dazzling smiles and pins.  The namecheck vest tops just in case you forgot who was who.

The track itself is a grower, a airy breezy number that reminds you of hot summer days and sultry disco nights.  This routine is just pretty perfect in all ways. Overall alot of fun and the Legs look divine.

Scores: 10/10

DODTD: well it is the one and only Sue, just for that jazz free dance in the middle of the track, what fun

Re: MORNING DANCE

Doc
Legs and Co prove that they can make elevator music fun to watch, a real pity that the police history department has put a block on an HD viewing. 10/10
Dotd: Rosie

Re: MORNING DANCE

Andeebee
I have visions of Sting sat in a dark basement flicking through old U-matic tapes to censor

Re: MORNING DANCE

Mikey
I wonder what the cover artist was on.

Re: MORNING DANCE

Light, fun, frolicsome and bright as a button, this is a winner at any time of the day.  But for the lack of any good close-ups this would have been another of the years maximums but nonetheless gets a 9.5 with Sue for Dotd.

Re: MORNING DANCE

Old Grey Whistler
I keep thinking of Spirograph, the drawing aid and the girls are producing a few artistic curves of their own here.  It wouldn't take long for this piece of music to become irritating so it is just as well that the dancing is good to make listening to it a little more tolerable.
Most of the highlights come towards the end with Rosie and Pauline's interplay and Lulu, Patti and Gill emerging in slow motion from behind the screen, but it is Sue who gets DOTD for her solo.
8.5 out of 10.

Re: MORNING DANCE

For this routine we have a minimal black and white set, from the last set. We have a trick that Flick sometime uses the hidden doorway. That our ladies emerge in different numbers. This time behind a white wall in the middle of the set. The routine starts with the ladies in front of the wall. Dancing from side to side in front of the camera. And moving backwards towards the white wall were three of the ladies went behind it. Leaving Patti, Rosie and Lulu on the set doing high kicks into the air and spins. All the ladies are wearing Sports vests with embossed silver names on them of our ladies. And short shorts of the same colours. Then the three ladies goes off and Sue and Gill come back on. From behind the wall and do a nice duet to the song. And then go back behind the wall. Where from the other end of the wall Pauline appears and does a nice solo. Then is joined by Lulu, Rosie and Patti for few moment. Then go off, when Sue and Gill come back on to the floor and then joined by Lulu and Patti were they dances another section. And then again go behind the wall. Rosie and Pauline then does a nice Duet to a xylophone solo in the song. Then again go behind the wall, were Patti, Lulu and Gill come out and does a nice section.
The end of the routine is dominated by a wonderful solo by the lady in pink and does a great spin in it. Then all the ladies joins her to the finish of the routine.

The Dotd must go to the lady in pink. The wonderful spin queen Sue.

The score is 8 out of 10.

Re: MORNING DANCE

Lookmacinanger
Taken from one 1979’s epic LP’s, I’m surprised this track was so little known; but this sure was Spyro Gyra’s moment in the sun (before becoming the music of choice of telecoms providers soothing your call is important to us while you’re number three in the queue, before losing the will to live).

The outfits material remind me of that shiny Adidas kit worn by Nottingham Forest from their successful run to the European Cup final during this year to maintain English teams grip on this trophy.

Very enjoyable routine with all the players appearing to have a good day at the office, another classic worthy of joining 1979’s hall of fame. 10/10 Dotd Gill

Re: MORNING DANCE

VintageVideos
Ah that's more like it. How I'd love to do a morning dance in such lovely company! Great track, one of my favs at the time (I was a bit into jazzrock, granted), and reason enough for me to buy the whole album which proved to be a bit of a letdown though.
The dance looks so effortlessly, so easy, so smooth, it's just fantastic how our ladies move to the jazzy rhythms with smiles so bright, lifting my spirits. The part I like best is the marimba solo (around the 2 min mark) when Pauline & Rosie enter from the left side just as if their heels were playing the notes - terrific!
The routine gets better and better with each viewing. There can be no doubt that it deserves the top rating:

10 / 10

DotD is not an easy choice but Pauline gets my vote
Vin

Re: MORNING DANCE

Gorgeous Daze
VintageVideos wrote
The part I like best is the marimba solo (around the 2 min mark)
I'm impressed that at least one of us seems to be able to discern the subtle difference between the xylophone and marimba.

Re: MORNING DANCE

VintageVideos
The reason I've heard about marimbas at all is this song which probably contains the best marimba solo ever played in a pop record:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0zIvjxmFt8
Vin

Re: MORNING DANCE

Gorgeous Daze
Starbuck are new to me but that is a likeable record, particularly at this time of year. I agree that's an impressive marimba solo.

And good to see the spirit of Casey Kasem lives on.
Steve
Stu

Re: MORNING DANCE

Stu
Liked the outfits and the setting, and the routine worked really well for the song. The bit with Pauline and Rosie dancing side by side reminded me of Tom Hanks and that other fella on the giant piano keyboard in the film Big... not sure why, but there you go.

8.5/10

DOTD - Pauline

Stuey

Re: MORNING DANCE

bucksby
the type of music that used to be heard down the isles of places like Fine fare in the early 80.s Pleasant enough, the girls seem to be enjoying the song and all perform well. Have to say Patti stands out for me, maybe it is the colour red? the routine gets and 8.