Quantcast

MORNING GLORY

   I may have shot my bolt here but by popular demand here is Morning Glory, a song written by McGarrick Dickins Gayden, a Country Slide Guitarist and Producer who actually recorded the song himself a couple of times in 1975 and 1995,  Interestingly he has a website with all sorts of bio details but it celebrates his bigger hit "Everlasting Love" (a #1 hit for Love Affair in the UK) and oddly doesn't even mention Morning Glory.  Here's his 1975 version which doesn't sound bad at all to me with some good slide guitar:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KakNupzs79o

  Morning Glory is a very cheerful little ditty celebrating life and the elated James and Bobby Purify who sung it were actually the real James Purify and a certain Ben Moore, who was in fact the second guy to take on the false identity of "Bobby Purify."  The first "Bobby Purify" was James' cousin Robert Lee Dickey and they had a big hit with I'm Your Puppet in the 1960s.  They wisely chose to be the Purify Brothers and not the Dickey Brothers.  Robert left the duo in 1971 and Ben joined in 1974 because James was lonely.  I hope I haven't confused anyone with all this.

                MORNING GLORY    -    James and Bobby Purify                       Aug 26th 1976

                                      DANCERS:     Cherry, Floid, Lulu, Phil, Patti, Sue

          LINK:    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26a9uk_ruby-flipper-morning-glory-totp-tx-26-08-1976_creation

   Mr Edmonds' classic ""Hardy Amies' Well-Dressed Exhibitionist" intro deserves mention I think.  Kudos to Phil for having the guts to show up in this absolutely outlandish outfit and still smiling throughout.  The whole Troupe performs well here with some really nice close-ups and solo moments, particularly the Cherry peekaboo episode.  I do like the change of tempo near the end and the lining up and asking for a decent tip is a nice touch too.  Is it my imagination or is Cherry's colour scheme much more attractive than the rest of the ladies?  She certainly seems to be highlighted here and I have to award her DotD despite spirited competition from her teammates.  I even thought about giving it to Phil until he crossed in front of Lulu.  Anyway I really enjoy this life-affirming outing and give it 9/10.  Now all that's left is finding out what you lot think......

   PS:  Bonus points if you can think of a good name for the green thing overhanging the proceedings

Re: MORNING GLORY

Re: MORNING GLORY

So many scenes in this i like. Patti with her finger wagging when someone comes along and steals the night. Phil doing his best Brucie impression, nice to say ya to see ya nice. A bit of a shame though Phil gets in the way of the uber-cute Lulu as she performs at the back of the stage half way through. But the best scene of all and so glad the camera caught it was Cherry getting caught up in her clothing, but even better was her escape and facial reaction. Terrific feel good song, love the clothing also.

Rating-Easily in my top 3 Ruby Flipper choices, so its `10 out of 10`.

DOTD, Really i should be giving this to Cherry, but i just cant on principal. Instead im giving it to the pink shirted, silver wellied, dare i say camp looking`Phil`.

Re: MORNING GLORY

Five years ago I saw this routine for the very first time on EinsFestival and was totally thrilled. Yes it was a crucial experience for me as from that moment on I was certain to be a fan of the TOTP dancers even though I knew almost nothing about them. But what happened there on the screen captivated me completely.

My feelings toward this routine haven't changed much since then. It's like meeting your first love and realizing that you still feel for her. What a great uplifting song! What a great colourful performance! I love just every second of it. The choreography is simply perfect. The nice little solos with moves that suit the lyrics, Cherry fighting with her apparel, the walking to the stage front near the end, there is never a dull moment in this routine. I could go on forever about this wonderful dance with its countless highlights. On top of that a totally underrated but fantastic song that should have been a much bigger hit. I could watch it over and over and never get tired of it. Maybe I'm seeing things through rose-coloured glasses because of my intense emotions for this dance. But I wouldn't want to see it any other way.

This is Ruby Flipper at their best. This is my favourite Ruby Flipper routine. This is

11 / 10

As DotD I picked Sue as she impersonates the spirit of the song so perfectly with her charming smiles that reflect the positive lyrics of the record

P.S.: Mac Gayden's main claim to fame as a guitarist is probably his playing of the wah-wah slide guitar on J.J. Cale's first album, including the single "Crazy Mama". Top-notch!

Re: MORNING GLORY

Suefan
For all the reasons mentioned by Ryan this was long my favourite RF outing and although now nudged into second spot by HOMS it still rates a 10.  For entering into the spirit of the dance with such gusto whilst wearing big silver boots and a pink shirt Phil makes a strong play for Dotd but it is Sue, whose smile I took with me in my memory to SA soon after this routine, who will always be my Dotd.

Re: MORNING GLORY

It's another one that gives each of the dancers their own platforms to showcase their own individuality, that's also reflected in them all wearing differing clothes, presumably anything that they liked at the time, & I'm really liking that, it gives the whole performance a more laid back feel, reallymy only criticism is that considering the name of the backing track, it's feel pitch black, with obviously a clear sky, & as yet, no sign of the sun emerging from the eastern horizon.

9/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: MORNING GLORY

PattiForPM
Thanks for your votes guys and for the Mac Gayden info Vin.  Great scores so far I must say and we've finally found Vin's 11 (sadly dragged down to 10 by ) and a big fave of Ryan's and SF's too by the sound of it.  It'll be interesting to see if the rest of the gang think similarly or not.  I would say to all the rest of you; if you want a feel-good two and a half minutes you could do a lot worse than watch this performance and listen to this song

Re: MORNING GLORY

PaulF
Good simple enjoyable routine 8/10
DOTD - Although Phil is vying for centre stage and glittering in his silver boots and pink shirt he will never outshine Sue and her lovely smiles
Paul

Re: MORNING GLORY

Colm
Is it just me or is Floid a tad reserved here? He never seems to register much in terms of camera time, leaving Phil to take the "alpha male" spot here.

I much prefer the female costumes here, and the girls certainly outshine the boys in this performance. They are all truly delightful, but ripe for the picking for Dancer of the Day is...

Cherry

Score: 9

Re: MORNING GLORY

PattiForPM
Thanks again chaps.  Yes Phil does shine and Floid is indeed exceptionally quiet here although he does have silver trousers mind you!  Nevertheless the ladies do shine very brightly and I honestly might have bet on this being a Cherry clean sweep but that's why I don't make a living gambling.  I hope there are more reviewers out there

Re: MORNING GLORY

Mikey
An interesting one this. The blokes outfits are pretty awful, but the ladies look lovely, probably their best outfits of the Ruby Flipper time for me. I'd happy lose Floid and Phil on this one, and just watch the ladies. It seems Flick has adorned the routine with all kinds of crazy movements. Highlights?, well seeing Cherry's rare mishap actually made me chuckle, and Sue does some very cute expressions towards the end in the line out and is great throughout. More Lulu please director!

I don't get what the set is supposed to represent, looks like a discarded Dr Who set piece of some kind of creepy vine.

Good stuff 8.5/10
DOTD Cherry still has that showbiz sparkle, but Sue pips her to the post with a more understated performance that was my highlight of the routine.

Re: MORNING GLORY

JEZ
i love this song and routine ,its got a happy feel to it ,its not a dance or a song that i remembered at the time watching on totp ,but i dont usually pick dancer of the day but cherry stands out at one point in the routine ,an 8.5 for this one please

Re: MORNING GLORY

Mikey wrote
 a discarded Dr Who set piece of some kind of creepy vine.
 Mikey takes the lead in the quest to name the green hanging thing.  Thanks for the marks lads.  This one looks popular but perhaps not the chart topper it promised to be early on.  It still needs a few more ratings to enter said chart so please give generously folks...

Re: MORNING GLORY

Mikey
You want a name, i call it a VINEtage

Re: MORNING GLORY

Andeebee
leave the forum now

Re: MORNING GLORY

Mikey
Aw, thats one of my better puns

Re: MORNING GLORY

VintageVideos
don't worry Mikey it was a good one

Re: MORNING GLORY

PattiForPM
It's a winner with me

Re: MORNING GLORY

Andeebee
it certainly is a VINEtage Video

Re: MORNING GLORY

PattiForPM
Just a little nudge ADB, you haven't reviewed this one yet