MOVE YOUR BODY -- [April]

MOVE YOUR BODY      Dance/performance number 96 by Legs & Co
Performed by   Gene Farrow  and reaching number 33 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date   13/04/78   Duration of dance --  2.23 mins
Dancers --  Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 92           Sue 89
Lulu 89               Gill 88
Rosie 89             Patti 88
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23u90h_legs-co-move-your-body-totp-tx-13-04-1978_creation

  Legs & Co are sent to assist `Gentleman Gene` with his TOTPs debut and do their job quite proficiently, only one snag, the song after this performance didn't climb any higher than the number 33 position. Okay, guilty secret, after hearing this now for about the 8th time in the last 24 hours the song doesn't sound to bad, ive heard far worse. When i say far worse i may be referring to his next effort that Legs assisted him on `Don't Stop Now` which stopped at 71 in the hit parade.
  This is quite a difficult performance by the girls to score. I mean they are not performing a routine as such and are only there to aid the artist on stage. They have dug out the costumes they last wore for `Saturday Nite` some 14 months before, which seem to be even shorter and Gene is in his best `Saturday Night Fever` suit. The six dancers look totally scrummy and Gene is a very lucky boy to have these gals dancing around him, not once but twice.
   DOTD, well the blonde in blue at the back keeps catching my eye, so its `Gill` for me.

  As i say hard to score, so will play safe with a 7.75 out of 10

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

Doc
Despite being in the background for most of the dance, Sue looks very good in this one. Dotd for Miss M.

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

Paperboyplod
A taster of the sorts of Legs & Co. routines that we can expect to see quite often when the '80s arrive, where they're basically playing roles as backing dancers for actual musicians.
Here they have Gene Farrow surrounded, performing a fairly standard dance routine, but to be fair, there's not much leeway for a full-blown literal interpretation of a music track, unless you as a dancing act, have the whole stage to yourself.
There's been a costume change for the ladies, since Everybody Dance, earlier doors in this weeks edition, in this routine they're each wearing different coloured costumes, & really showing off their legs, but that crowded stage did look dangerous with the footwear the ladies were wearing.

5/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

When reviewing the list of dances to gather my initial thoughts, I skipped "Move Your Body" - and watching it again I can understand why.

The live orchestra remove any passion from the song, I'm not keen on Gene's voice, and the lighting is either inadequate or over-the-top - Lulu seems in constant profile, and when Pauline crosses Gene's path, she's blinded by the flashing backlights.

There also doesn't seem to be much a routine going on here, understandable though as the troupe are the on-stage support and not fully taking the spotlight. Maybe I've a preference for the routines where it's just the girls and the focus is on how the dance is conveyed - which will mean 1981 is going to be fun to judge.

Dancer of the Day, on the basis of who to me seems to be making it less of a chore to endure, goes to Patti.  My score, which doesn't truly reflect how L&C execute the routine - a paltry 3 out of 10.

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

I agree that selecting DOTDs and rating these performances where Legs & Co accompany the artists on stage is a difficult task. I wasn't really sure i should have included this for consideration, as its by no means a `Routine` as such.
RYAN
LNV

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

LNV
I find ‘Move Your Body’ to be a most enjoyable, happy experience to watch. That in itself must define my tastes. There are no complex choreographed movements involved with this Routine, so to hell with such High-Art and onwards and upwards with primitive Dance! To me it conveys the vitality and delight in life that ancient cultures did in their ritualistic dances. From whence I suppose Dance itself originated from before it became taken over as an Aristocratic Art with Ballet as its ultimate transmutation. Just as it is easily possible [likely too easily for those with cerebral inclinations] to enjoy music without knowing the techniques of composition, so it is with Dance. ‘Move Your Body’ well the title says it all doesn’t it! Definitely not a Routine where one should over analyse [ Though I probably am ]. One of Legs & Co’s accompanying dances, simple but very effective on this viewer! This could be a Routine you would join in doing at a school-disco, fun for all and no bad thing for so being. With Teacher dressed in his exceptionally clean White Suit for the occasion, willing to take the chance of making a fool of himself.
Lulu maybe always in profile here, but what a profile! One the best in tv dance land at that time for sure. I can only think of another five ladies to be her equal. Lulu’s great, end of. If I was in Flick’s position with Lulu at my disposal, I would consider myself  like Michelangelo in having such a fine piece of marble to work with in carving out my next choreographic masterpiece.

10/10. It is also introduced by the Tone himself. Now I ask you who could ask for anymore...

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

Andeebee
You echoed my sentiments Ben, I hated the song back then, hated it when DJing the thing, the only saving grace for this is the visions of loveliness, like angels on the dance-floor......sadly the clip gets a thumbs down, so a pittance 4 for me

Sue as always DOTD....yowsah yowsah yowsah (sorry wrong song)

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

LNV, though you didn't specify, i take it your fine assessment of Lulu is your DOTD selection.

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

Yes the song and singer suck a bit (latter worse than former IMO) but the ladies look hot and make this a watchable few minutes of our lives.  I like the circling around the singer and is it just me or is he a little too attentive to the beautiful Patti Hammond?  Anyway this certainly doesn't rank with the worst Dances but is not the best either adn the glaring lights are a bit annoying too.  I think 5/10 is reasonable and I find DotD very very difficult as some others have suggested but Patti does seem to be really in the groove and perhaps Mr Farrows distraction is understandable so another vote for my idol is my decision.
LNV

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

LNV
I didn’t offer a DotD as I truly think they are all equally on top form. Really like to award DotD to the Troupe itself. There I go again pushing against the rules and not playing the game as I should. Sorry for that. Legs & Co are a complete unit here without any stand out solo spot or anyone dancer being better or worse than another. All six ladies provided a spectacle of glamour, sexiness and jollity.

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

Okay, no probs. Will remove Lulu`s Dotd i put on for you.

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

Well I like it, and although Gene has had some stick I'd swap places with him, white suit and all so an 8 from me.

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

AC/PD
This routine could almost be a precursor to that round from Larry Grayson's Generation Game from late 78 where the contestants had to dance to a disco hit and then get rated by Flick Colby. It's so similar, with Legs & Co as the steady accompaniments and a John Travolta white suit on display. Let's face it: Gene Farrow IS a nervy contestant, isn't he: check out the demeanour of the hunched shoulders. His voice isn't really all that strong and although the song's not A+ in the Disco stakes, it still gets the head bopping away (well mine does). This is more of a B-, in my opinion.
I'd also query whether having Legs & Co accompany him to calm his nerves didn't have an adverse effect, to be honest. They look lovely with those neckerchiefs and dresses although they really are far too short, what with their briefs being clearly on display, but then again, 'Hey! It was the Seventies'. Like PBP, I too worried about the elevated stage being too cramped and it looks to me as if both Lulu and Pauline were one false dance step away from falling off the thing.
P4PM, I think Gene Farrow showed remarkable restraint when Patti danced in front of him. If he was that distracted, I reckon he'd have taken DLT's lead from the end of Best Of My Love and chased her across the floor.
Scores on the Doors, Isla?
Legs & Co. score 7 : Gene and Farrow score 4.
DOTD : Rosemary.

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

VintageVideos
Can't help thinking this record actually sounds like a KC & The Sunshine Band B-side, which isn't a bad thing in the first place. Ok Gene is a bit out of place for us Legs fans, but the song is cheerful albeit simple, and the dancing (by the ladies, mind you) is pleasant for the eyes. Can't say I don't like it, it's 2 1/2 mins of fun, so I'll give it 7.5. DotD: Gill

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

Andeebee
wait till you see the follow up single, man that is awful.....whoo whoo indeed

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
So it's another night down Disco Du Jour. Though this nightspot would have done better with a no Genes policy. Like Ryan I've found this less-than-great song has somehow wormed its way in to my head, damn it.

Yes, Gene Farrow is rather stiff, but that's understandable...it was his TOTPs debut. The routine does have the feel of a learn-the-moves demonstration, and I cannot better PD's very amusing Generation Game analogy. But Oohh those daring little dresses, they alone ensure this could never be a turkey. It is quite funny to watch the girls take it in turns to encircle the labouring Mr Farrow. The Miss Chief of tease is Patti. If a girl like her came on to me on the dancefloor like that (in my dreams) I would think I'd pulled! Steady on Gene, it's just a show.

DOTD: Patti.

Stu

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

Stu
Don't usually like our girls playing second fiddle to anyone else, but in reality they really don't here as you barely notice the Travolta wannabe in the middle.  Overall I really liked it, with nice moves to another catchy disco number, and the blonde beauty, despite lingering at the back, catches my eye the most.

8.5/10

DOTD - Gill

Stuey

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

Old Bill
I'm half expecting a disco duck to turn up half-way through this one.

It would have been so much better with less of Gene - if only he'd realised who the real stars are here and taken more of a back seat!

But the short skirts and pelvic thrusts are all very appealing to us Dads, with L&P at the front giving the old micers plenty to feast on. Rosie does well too half way back - and what a super hair-flick at the end of her solo.
But the DotD for me is Sue. I think she edges it - other than a tip top performance - but because her gold outfit stands out better on the dark background, so afore-said feasting eyes are drawn towards here.

6/10 the overall. Would be higher if Gene wasn't there.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: MOVE YOUR BODY -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
No man should be left to plough his own farrow in life, but in this instance Genie I politely suggest could have stayed out in the field until sundown and let dancers do the talking. The songs not bad but how could this man be allowed on the hallowed turf where Everybody Dance routine had just been recorded, what a liberty! 7/10

Dotd Sue
12