Quantcast

MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

My Resistance is Low is a cover of a Hoagy Carmichael song from 1951 sung by Robin Sarstedt whose real first name is Clive, so of course he was born in India.  Clive was the youngest brother of Peter Sarstedt of "Where do you go to my Lovely" fame and was a one hit wonder in the Uk with this #3, although he did make the charts in the "Low Countries" with a couple of other songs (Vin you're in the "High Countries" in this context I guess).  Clive now lives in Andalusia. The Carmichael version was originally in the last segment of the Movie "Las Vegas Story" with Jane Russell, produced by Howard Hughes of Spruce Goose fame.  I'm sure this Movie did not glorify the Mob.  Howard Hughes suffered from OCD so he probably really did believe his resistance was low.

              MY RESISTANCE IS LOW   -   Robin Sarstedt                         May 6th 1976

                                    DANCERS:   Cherry, Lulu, Patti, Sue

      LINK:  http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26bmwk_ruby-flipper-my-resistance-is-low-version-2-totp-tx-20-05-1976_creation

  This is the four Flipper Ladies dancing on their first Show together and I think they look really good in their finery.  I admit I'm a bit of a sucker for long gloves and long dresses but I like the flowing moves and they certainly enhance this Performance mightily IMO.  Lulu gets pole position and we see more of this cute youngster than the others, who play more of a supporting role to my eye.  The massive hanging lanterns are very typically 70s gauche but I do like the camera work this time and it seems a good balance between singer and dancers.  Robin certainly looks thrilled with the ladies at the end of the piece and who wouldn't be?  Anyway I think Lulu deserves DotD once again in her first TOTPs and I am giving 8/10 to this Dance which is quite lovely in its own way .  Now what do you think?

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

bucksby
yes I would go along with Lulu as DOTD too, her performance is so confident which especially when you consider how young she was there, is amazing. The routine is pretty good, nothing earth shattering but does the business but I am not that keen on the song to be honest  I do like the dresses through, they remind me of a Psychedelic furs song "Pretty in pink". A 7 for the routine.

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

A retro-style routine that befits the track that it accompanies, if ever I saw one, the dancers in this all-girls Ruby Flipper formation, gracing the stage alongside Robin Sarstedt, dance away behind him, at times looking like his backing vocalists, dressed in matching full-length salmon-coloured dresses, & wearing white gloves, they really look the parts for a period drama, & they look so elegant with their mostly gentle dance movements, especially the pointing near the end.

9/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

Old Bill
Deary me, if this was TidyB's record of the week I dread to think what else was around at the time. I can only suppose his producers had had a very generous luncheon courtesy of the record label recently.
I just glad he managed to take his hand out of his pocket.

Anyways, enough of the song. The dance is so-so for me, all very poor man's Busby Berkeley. The girls look great though - those long dresses are exquisite!

I can't help thinking they missed a trick at around 2'10" when he's saying "come closer... come closer..." by not showing RF actually coming closer, which I'm sure they are as they did earlier on and was briefly shown.

Finally - this treacherous look that Lulu is giving Robin is unforgivable! Lulu - why hast thou forsaken me?!

6/10. And DotD is Lulu. Despite the above!

Jeremiah 31:13

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

A very pleasant song that was enhanced visually by the inclusion of the Flipperettes. Mr Sarsdedt was just one of about dozen or so male singers that our dancers accompanied on stage over the years. I wonder who made that choice, would Robin Nash for example take one look at these guys and immediately know that they would come over better to the viewers if they had female company with them. Ive often also wondered if the artist themselves asked for the dancers to be on stage, or indeed if they preferred them not to be but got over ruled by Nash ?

Anyhow, our four girls make lovely viewing, though this isn't one of the best Flippers. Think a rating of `7.5 out of 10` will suffice.

DOTD, dont you just love her, first night on the box and shes melting our hearts. Its gotta be the girl whos been placed by Flick in the prominent position, intentionally of course, and that's `Lulu`.

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

bucksby
Funnily enough Old Bill, the flop follow up Let's fall in love was also Tidybeard's record of the week

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

I don't know about the state of Mr Sarstedt's immune system, but those lanterns certainly look low. Thankfully there are no collisions here and it's all an optical illusion. With the dated sounding song and ballroom apparel, this is the kind of interlude I'd expect during an episode of 3-2-1 or such like, not on an episode of Top of the Pops.
There's no doubting that the belles give a much needed enhancement to proceedings and it's the young debutante Lulu who catches the eye most.

7/10      DOTD  Lulu.
WTH

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

PattiForPM
Thanks for your votes faithful posters.  I do sometimes mark down a Dance for dreary music content and I must admit I'm not overly keen on this song but I feel the Dancers really elevate this and the dated song becomes much more bearable with the smoothly moving ladies to watch.  I remember us discussing this issue of the appearance with Artists on stage before as Ryan mentions and I can't recall our conclusion (if indeed there was one) but I have an inkling it was the Producer's choice.  There must be a few more shillings of six pennies worth to come I hope....

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

BeautifulBabs
Likes
Its the girls
Gavin floyd and Phil are not interfering
complements singer well

Dislikes
singer has hand in pocket a bit distracting
there is no bikini version
not choreographically challenging

6 and dotd Lulu who leads the line so well

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

This song was one for the dads and mums. Well my dad and mum anyway. It was just the kind of thing they held up against the Rotten stuff that was round the corner. I wouldn't have touched it with a barge-pole, but nowadays, well, at least I don't mind it.

What a diverse collection of routines RF gave us in their relatively short time on TOTPs. Today is Ladies Day at Royal Ascot, and here on another Thursday all those years ago - on their very first show - is an outing exclusively for the Ruby Fillies in their finery. This isn't my kind of thing, but there's no denying the ball-gowns and period-select dance fit the song like a hand in a silky glove. Superficially there's a mismatch between the Spartan set and the opulent dress. But the imaginative might fancy that the dancers have beamed through the darkness into the studio from another place and time. And such a set always has the advantage that the girls aren't going to be obscured. With her age-of-elegance hairstyle and innocence Lulu is exceptionally well suited to her dress and the decorous routine. My, she had climbed a long way from her humble ancestor who made carts. And it's impressive to see in one so young that any nerves she may have had resulting from her uncertain start earlier as one of the 'fools' rushing in do not seem at all in evidence.

I like the courtly playfulness of the girls twirling to and from the comfort zone of he of the low resistance. But I'm sorry OB but your dismay is well-founded. The eyes that Lulu, and Cherry, are making have the clear aim of robbin' Sarstedt of his heart.

6/10 for enjoyment. 9/10 for the performance. So I'll join them in the middle and give it 7.5/10.  DOTD Lulu.

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

PattiForPM
Thanks BB and GD.  Come to think of it they certainly could have dressed up Mr Sarstedt himself a little more to make him at least look a bit more worthy of the Dancers' attention.  As for a "bikini version" it's difficult to imagine but I'm sure Mr Sarstedt in a speedo would have altered these reviews too.  With interactive TV on the way maybe there could be a standard Dance Troupe dance and a "scandalous" or "explicit" version available for the adventurous and difficult to offend viewer on pay per view.  I'm off to dream while hopefully more of our regulars comment on here...

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

Andeebee
Well, I'm gonna pick Lulu for this and the song is ok nothing special but certainly not cringe worthy....

DOTD: Lulu

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

Colm
My DotD is Lulu - she nails the routine while retaining some of those first-day butterflies and is the only one who, to my eye, suits those pink ballgowns.

My score: 5.5

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

PattiForPM
Our Resistance is getting so low that we now qualify as immunosuppressed and require reverse barrier nursing (sorry, little in-joke there).  Thankyou friends and nice to see Lulu mounting some kind of early semblance of a challenge to the mighty Sue on the DotD scoring too.  Every time I re-watch this performance I am more drawn to the expressive glove movements of our gorgeous quartet.  Quickly someone, distract me with more comments, I implore you

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

VintageVideos
Ruby Flipper go Pan's!

By the end of 1975 and in early 1976 there seems to have been some kind of pre-rock'n'roll revival, given the number of records in the charts that were remakes of old songs: I Only Have Eyes For You, Baby Face, How High The Moon, The Continental, Deep Purple, Answer Me & Tuxedo Junction, and add to those the releases of songs like The Trail of the Lonesome Pine or Moonlight Serenade. Nostalgia was in full swing, and Robin Sarstedt jumped on the bandwagon with this number.
Most of the remakes were actually quite good, some with a disco treatment and some closer to the original. "My Resistance Is Low" is not a bad record with lyrics that are a bit tongue in cheek like many songs from that time.
Robin Sarstedt obviously did not feel very comfortable on stage though, judging from his appearance, so it seemed natural for Ruby Flipper to lend him their support. The dance itself looks a lot like a Pan's People routine, all synchronous dancing, and the dresses reflect the nostalgia. I have to say I'm really a fan of those dresses, I think they sit very well on the ladies. Makes me want to get up and ask for the next dance!
I'm not that fond of Mr. Sarstedt though who looks a bit lost at times. Without his presence this routine would deserve quite a high rating from me. But it's still enough for

8 /10
DotD: Lulu

P.S. Robin's follow up single "Let's Fall In Love" still made No. 23 in the Netherlands, but that was his final hit there as well. In Germany, none of his records charted at all (and compared to the Netherlands, Germany certainly is a High Country....)

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

PattiForPM
Glad you made the Pans connection Vin and I totally agree that this is very much an RF salute to their forebears.  I thought of this too when I was having a lot of trouble choosing DotD as I often do with Pans performances.  I guess Lulu is Mary and Patti is Ruth so to speak.

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

The producers decision to have the Flipperettes give RS a bit of support was a fine one as this works well and gets a 7.5 from me.

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

Lookmacinanger
I’m not sure about his resistance being low his voice certainly is. The routine is fine and captures the essence of the track but I would rather these artists who need assistance for their performance filmed a short promo and let the dancers enjoy the limelight in their own right. 7/10.
Dotd, Lulu for being brave enough to get close to that Hawaiian shirt and green suit combination of Mr Sarstedt.

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

Gorgeous Daze
It must be rare for a dancer to get a clean sweep of DOTDs in a synchronous routine with no solo, as Lulu is doing up to now. Well done young lady!

Re: MY RESISTANCE IS LOW

PattiForPM
Thanks for your comments Mac and I agree Lulu is a courageous young woman, although Sue's fortitude in putting up with that Racey guy several times still stands out to me as the best ever performance under extreme duress.  GD you're quite right this Lulu sweep seems remarkable to me too.