Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Here is something for our Pans People fans to get their teeth into. I was wondering about the exact first time our dancers made any form of physical contact with a male during their time on TOTPs. That male could be a presenter, fellow dancer, performing artiste or audience member.

I guess this cant really be proved with the original six in the 60s for the obvious reason footage on the show is just not there anymore. So lets start with Cherry.

Im ready to be shot down in flames on this, so please forgive me if im wrong. But did Cherry really go 1,225 days from the beginning of her Pans tenure without making any form of physical contact with the male of the species ? I believe she didn't make contact with Mick Robertson on `The Tango Is Over`, though it was close and certainly no contact with `that` Mike Batt. Incidentally notice how Babs was offered up on both those performances to make full hand contact with both Messers Robertson & Batt yet the others didn't. But i digress.

By the way. The next to join Pans People, a certain Sue Menhenick lasted about 15 minutes before she made contact with a male when she laid her hand on Noel Edmond's hand who was holding the microphone when introducing the number one record by The Rubbettes.

Of course some routines are missing, so my theory on Cherry isn't completely watertight.

So i offer this. Was the first occasion on TOTPs that Cherry reached out to a male really on the 5th of May 1976 when she made hand contact with Floid ? Have i missed an open goal on this. Come on Pans fans, splatter egg on my face. Let me know.

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

On both occasions its was that lucky man Phil Haigh.

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

There's contact in the Who Do You Love video.

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Yes Doc, certainly so with Jimmy in full hands on action. But im discounting any of the original six for reasons we just cant be sure with so much footage from back then gone.

How about Mary & Lee, i cant think of any male contact with Pans, though im sure one of the guys here may know if Mary got any hands on action when she appeared in Zoo. Imagine that, waiting 6 years for it !!!

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Judging by the pictures it's very possible that did in Clive Dunn's Grandad, Babs is possibly touching him in one of the pictures.

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Also Ed Stewart famously got to shake the hands of the Pans ladies in the final show of 1971 and even got pecks on the cheek for his trouble. Though classy Flick resisted the cheek kissing i notice.

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

I'm pretty sure that Tony Blackburn & Noel Edmonds laid their hands on Cherry's, Lee's & Mary's shoulders at the end of the Christmas 75 show (25/12/75).

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Egg well and truly splattered Vin. Thats a great spot.

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Ive yet to move onto Gill, Pauline & Rosie, maybe someone else wants to do so. But here is something ive only just noticed this evening. Check out Legs & Co dancing to `Jungle Rock` and watch for Patti reaching out to the forlorn looking Tony Blackburn right at the very end of the routine.

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Doc
Leave him alone Sue!

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Maybe Fido here in 1973 was a male ?

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

You probably want to watch Your Gonna Get Next To Me again!

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Doc
Yep, I'm jealous!

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Doc wrote
You probably want to watch Your Gonna Get Next To Me again!
Yes i was hoping one of Sue & Rosie's playful fist pumps may have caught Kid Jensen in `Love Hit Me`, but no such luck.

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Gill gets a geeky looking bloke!

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Sue gets the beardy bloke, im sure she did again in a later routine too.

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Sue gets the beardy bloke, im sure she did again in a later routine too.
Yeah `Summer Nights`.

Re: Making Male contact on Top Of The Pops?

Doc
You'll have to ask her, beards or clean shaven! Just like one of those silly questions they used to ask pop stars in Smash Hits.