Mike Smith Shows - the last one!

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Mikey
17th September 1987

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/62d6728089543eef6ce3acdfc9af8cd520190426181903/82c048

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Gorgeous Daze
Thanks Mikey.

The static and concerned middle-aged dad pondering his son's future was one of the oddest things on TOTP for a long time. I suppose Matthew was a bit young to be there beside him in the studio. It was a welcome surprise hit as far as I was concerned, pure and atmospheric analogue synths were rarely heard by the late eighties.

I doubt Karel had much to worry about. I'd wager Matthew grew out of those macho career aspirations and he enjoys a comfortable middle class lifestyle in some form of consultancy, is a staunch Remainer, and the only street fighting he does is in the cause of climate change.

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Mikey
Yes GD was a little odd that one, but quite atmospheric at the same time, well i quite liked it.

They really had a problem representing House Music at the time, trying to set 'House Master Boyz' as some kind of band?? when really they are just studio producers, House Music isnt really for sitting down watching, its for dancing to 2am in some sweaty club (or even a non sweaty club), and thus the context is often going to be lost.

Anyhow since there are 4 B2B Smithy episodes the Beeb are leaping over, here is the next one from 24th September.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/3d75c8846898343ffcec6f671432974120190426182404/ad0ab5

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Mikey
1st October

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/09f59602cc8217a52d330d95a8a0be6020190426183613/858e22

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Mikey
And finally!, 8th October

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/1dcd4f746523c578962f53adb3d0c70520190426183945/d2a1d9

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Mikey
We are now reaching the end of Mikes shows with only 7 remaining, the last of which will be 31/3/88. By then Mike will have presented a total of 69 shows.

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Old Grey Whistler
With Mike Smith shows almost over with, it makes me wonder how BBC4 are going to fit 1988 into the rest of the year, assuming that there are no other banned presenters. I hope they don't resort to showing three a week.

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Mikey
If they start in June that would give them an extra month (or 8 shows therabouts), although there are bound to proms related gaps come the late summer.

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Legsfan
My theory is that they will show 2 per week and when the proms are on and The Sky At Night, they will show 2 on a Thursday and a Friday when they make up the time.
In 2021 (if the repeats are still going), I think they will revert back to the weekly editions and say "We go back 30 years to TOTP 1991. #TOTP"

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Mikey
5/11/87

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/585f827ffed45c4dddfc56d54a8fae6920190509050428/e85c85

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

zenon

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Mikey
Thanks Zenon, now we just need the xmas show to complete the set.

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Here's the 25/12/87 show.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/6012858413a983c967c12118c18318b020190530202510/27606a

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

zenon
Here's 17/12/87 in it's entirety including Mel and Kim which was cut last night.

https://we.tl/t-hA6pOu0jNR

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Mikey
28/01/88

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4e17c6d679c4d56a3ba3315598e610ab20190704051252/7b2636

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Andyb25
Amazing as always! Any idea when the 04.02.88 will be available. Silly BBC 4 and their surprise 3 episode week! 11.02 and 18.02 already aired!
Xxx

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Doc