Mike Smith Shows - the last one!

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Mikey
10/03/88

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/fc052ae4a8a59c8f4cf9dd4e70137e8d20190712185226/3ac0be

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Mikey
The last one!

31-03-88

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/57535a6628edc88c56d5cacaab55ac1f20190718060347/ed4c96

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Doc
Hopefully no presenters considered undesirable now until 22/12/94 unless MS appears on the 25th anniversary show.
Still living in 1979

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

GaryH
Mike Smith was never banned. He just decided not to sign the licence extension that would allow repeats of the TOTP editions he presented and the BBC have (stupidly) continued to respect his wishes, indefinitely. How one person can have seemingly total hold over a show being repeated is beyond me. Don't mean to sound unkind but he's more of a nuisance dead than he was alive and that's taking into account the helicopter crash he nearly killed his wife in!

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

GaryH wrote
Don't mean to sound unkind
Don't mind to sound unkind either Gary, but most of us on here know all of that. What is of contention though is the real reason. I for one have never really bought into the licence extension theory and wonder if something darker is being hidden. Guess we will never know.

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

I never suggested he was, that’s why I called him undesirable.
Still living in 1979

Bearing in mind that he didn't let UK Gold repeat his shows either I just don't think he wanted his past shows to be repeated. Perhaps he was embarrassed by them.  I know you like a good conspiracy theory though!

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

GaryH
Nice counter-conspiracy OGW. It was embarrassing he was hosting 'em!

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Old Grey Whistler wrote
What power Mike Smith wielded then before and after his demise. Seemingly power that other presenters of TOTPs and indeed other BBC shows of yesteryear didn't possess.

Re: Yewtreed & Mike Smith Shows

Old Grey Whistler wrote
Bearing in mind that he didn't let UK Gold repeat his shows either I just don't think he wanted his past shows to be repeated. Perhaps he was embarrassed by them.
What power Mike Smith wielded then before and after his demise. Seemingly power that other presenters of TOTPs and indeed other BBC shows of yesteryear didn't possess.
On the contrary, all of the presenters have that power, it's part of the contract but Mike Smith was the only one who chose to invoke it, although Noel Edmonds also blocked UK Gold. Actors such as Martin Shaw and David Jason have also chosen to block repeats of their shows at various times. It is rare for it to happen as usually it is easy money for the actor / presenter. I guess Mike Smith wasn't bothered about the money as he had a successful helicopter business (which did a lot of work for the BBC by the way).