Mike Smith Shows - the last one!

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

What a total disjointed mess the many dancers are when they perform on the Yewtree'd end credits (10/12/81) to `Yellow Pearl`.

Fortunately on the first show of 82, indeed the first performance of the year, five members of Zoo get to put that right with a superbly choreographed and executed performance.

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Just watched Xmas Day episode, really enjoyed it, I like the fact they gave all the Radio 1 DJ's a lick of the sauce bottle (Adrian Juste certainly a voice that brought back long-buried memories). Probably one of the last Xmas Day shows from the era when the lunchtime TOTP was THE centrepiece of Xmas Day.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

Doc
just bumping the thread.
Still living in 1979

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

Mikey
Those 2 girls are back

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

They are there most shows now, its just ive given up highlighting them. For example the blonde one was in shot when Batesy introduced Sue's final dance.

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

zenon
This post was updated on .
Didn't know which thread to place this but I compiled a list of tunes that Yewtree will cost us in 1982 and 21 songs will not be shown in any shape or form.

The Human League - Being Boiled (playout)
Mike Post feat Larry Carlton - Theme From Hill Street Blues (danced to by Zoo)
Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills (video)
The Associates - Club Country
Kid Creole and The Coconuts - It's a Wonderful Thing Baby
Stevie Wonder - Do I Do (video)
Diana Ross - Work That Body (video)
Status Quo - She Don't Fool Me
The Beatles - Beatles Movie Medley (video)
Sting - Spread a Little Happiness (video)
Gary Numan - White Boys and Heroes (video)
Showaddywaddy - Who Put The Bomp (In The Bomp-A-Bomp-A-Bomp)
Tom Tom Club - Under The Boardwalk (playout)
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Jackie Wilson Said (I’m In Heaven When You Smile)
Roxy Music - Take A Chance With Me (danced to by Zoo)
The Animals - House Of The Rising Sun (danced to by Zoo)
Musical Youth - Youth of Today (video)
Supertramp - It’s Raining Again (video)
Talk Talk - Talk Talk
Santa Claus and the Christmas Trees - Sing-A-Long-A-Santa
Cliff Richard - Little Town

These performances will also not be shown but the videos will be broadcast on other editions

Bucks Fizz - Now These Days are Gone
Joan Jett and The Blackhearts - I Love Rock 'n' Roll
Depeche Mode - Leave In Silence
Madness - Our House
Musical Youth - Pass The Dutchie

Kid Creole and the Coconuts' Annie I'm Not Your Daddy is another performance that will be missed but we will get the playout on a Peter Powell edition.

Only nine songs that had any performances will not be shown at all as the Savile/DLT episode reduction not only results in an obviously shorter list but it means more repeats of performances originally shown in the banned shows for the safe ones!

The biggest loss however is that we'll not see Anita and Mary's only appearance together due to the hosting of one Hairy Cornflake

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Astonishing work in compiling that list zenon, I will come back to it in the coming weeks and make sure I listen to them all somehow. Hopefully that will be on uploaded editions of Yewtree'd shows still, if not, I will find them on Youtube. I wouldn't like to miss out on a forgotten gem
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

zenon wrote
Didn't know which thread to place this but I compiled a list of tunes that Yewtree will cost us in 1982 and 21 songs will not be shown in any shape or form.

Dexy's Midnight Runners - Jackie Wilson Said (I’m In Heaven When You Smile)
Shame we don't get to see the Jocky Wilson joke.
Still living in 1979

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I cant believe that TOTP people thought this song could possibly have been about the current darts World Champion, when Van Morrison released the song in 1972!
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

Willoway
This was mentioned in the "Story Of" show, it was an in-joke amongst Dexy's, TOTP went along (knowingly) with putting up a picture of Jocky Wilson at their request, and when Michael Hurll discovered this, he was furious with all concerned and according to the documentary, blocked Dexy's from ever appearing on the show again. TBH, while an overreaction, I think he had a point, in-jokes only work if you're in on the joke, as the misrepresentation of this incident over 35 years has shown.
When two strangers said to my shock, "You're on the wrong block"

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

Doc
Willoway wrote
blocked Dexy's from ever appearing on the show again. TBH
Their lack of Top 10 records probably had more to do with not appearing than Hurll's anger. After all Madness were supposed to have been banned by him after the first show of 1980 when Lee Thompson fell into the crowd and they appeared many times after.
Still living in 1979

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

Willoway
The bit not included here in this rerun of the anecdote was that Mike Read 'fell for it', he mentioned it as a BBC mistake the following day. Any retelling in a programme with contributors 'telling the story' such as the Story Of programmes, is inevitably tailored for the programme in question with facts added/removed/fudged as necessary.
When two strangers said to my shock, "You're on the wrong block"

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

PattiforPM
Seems the Party Atmos was only skin deep.  Why couldn't the powers that be have even a slight sense of humour about things like this?

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

Mikey
The hunt is on for next weeks show, featuring the return of Mary

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

Mikey
Link is now up

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

Mary features quite a lot on the DLT hosted show from 14/01/82. I think Zoo's `Don't Walk Away` routine was filmed earlier in the day, as she can be seen dancing on quite a few songs but in different attire from The Four Tops routine.
Most noticeably in the Altered Images intro and dancing next to the Gorilla & The Stranglers when she is seen dancing with 3 others.

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

Wow.  She looks so much younger here than when she was in Pans People.  Her hair style is much better with fuller volume.  Obviously that was the key factor.  Thanks for showing this as I did not realise she came back.

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

I did really enjoy this show, the cheerleaders were toned down a bit for once, and Mary was a very good one, even giving the gorilla a hug at the end of Altered Images, and the Stranglers bonus performance was nice too.

Dancer, not sure i agree about her looking younger than the PP days, but for your info she also appears in ELOs Ticket to The Moon (good luck id'ing her in that) which should be on Thursdays BBC4 show and Theme From Hill Street Blues in Feb, although thats a DLT show.

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

Dancer
Many thanks Mikey.  Another ELO number?  They feature quite a lot in Zoo's early years.  Don't remember the music to Hill Street Blues at all and obviously we won't be seeing that one again.  I gather from another member on here that this is Anita's last dance to the latter.  Have I got that right?

Re: This Weeks Missing Shows

Thanks for the link Mikey.  Overall I thought one of the best shows there has been for quite a while.  The party atmos had been toned down, there was a nice mix of acts, and, whether in part down to Mary's frequent appearances I'm not sure, but a more coherent feel to the programme throughout.  Straightforward DJ presentation without excessive waffle also helped.
As well as looking stunning Mary does a fine dance job in the dedicated Zoo number, and so I can't now help but wonder whether Flick missed a trick by not issuing her with flippers.