Quantcast

Mike Smith's TOTP's

I have checked the BBC website for upcoming TOTP's and Mike Smith's editions will NOT be shown. This means we have now lost three presenters and that means more skipped editions. This wasn't exactly a surprise, but it seems like the only way we're going to see those editions again is if someone recorded them or his widow passes. Hopefully DLT is back for '83 then

This also means we will miss only one in 1982, but 5 editions which all have one other host which makes it particularly unfair, included in the five is the 25/12/83 which would have been the first xmas day TOTP since 1979

If TOTP continues through the 1980's we will miss 66 editions in total.
1982 - 3 Editions (including 2 with both banned presenters)
1983 - 5 Editions
1984 - 8 Editions (including 1 with Jimmy Savile)
1985 - 16 Editions
1986 - 16 Editions
1987 - 16 Editions
1988 - 4 Editions
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
For future reference
The Rubberband Man wrote
Here is an update from the BBC on the Mike smith fronted episodes :

Thanks for getting in touch about Top of the Pops.

While he was alive, Mike Smith decided not to sign the licence extension that would allow the BBC to repeat the Top of the Pops episodes that he presented. Since his passing, the BBC is continuing to respect his wishes.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you.
Best wishes,
Richard Carey
BBC Enquiries Team

Re: Tragic News

AC/PD
LF, your headline adjective is truly worrying and gives the impression of something deeply tragic having occurred.

Re: Tragic News

Legsfan
I'm extremely sorry AC/PD I have changed the header. Please accept my apologies and everyone who I may have worried
Sorry

Re: Tragic News

AC/PD
Much less likely now to give the heart cause to skip a beat, LF!

Re: Tragic News

zenon
Just as well Savile and DLT were no longer presenting it after 1984 or we would miss half of 85, 86 and 87.

Re: Tragic News

Gorgeous Daze
Indeed disappointing and frustrating news. Often in these situations families find some comfort in their loved one's continued onscreen life ensuring they don't fade in the collective memory. And like someone else mentioned I wouldn't have thought they have the power of veto anyway.

Re: Tragic News

PattiForPM
Sorry maybe I've forgotten but can someone remind me what the nature of Mr and Mrs Smith's concern was with showing old TOTP Shows?

Re: Mike Smith's TOTP's

Legsfan wrote
I have checked the BBC website for upcoming TOTP's and Mike Smith's editions will NOT be shown.
Is it definitive that all his editions won't be shown? As far as I'm aware of we only know of one.

I don't really buy into the story about his family preventing the repeats. I can't believe that this is possible at all.
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: Mike Smith's TOTP's

Legsfan
VintageVideos wrote
Legsfan wrote
I have checked the BBC website for upcoming TOTP's and Mike Smith's editions will NOT be shown.
Is it definitive that all his editions won't be shown? As far as I'm aware of we only know of one.

I don't really buy into the story about his family preventing the repeats. I can't believe that this is possible at all.
We'll have to wait until the end of December to find out if the 6/1/83 is being skipped, but I haven't seen anything official yet.

Re: Mike Smith's TOTP's

VintageVideos wrote
I don't really buy into the story about his family preventing the repeats. I can't believe that this is possible at all.
Yes the sage of Popscene Keith explained very well the other day how family members cannot simply block BBC programmes that are aired on the BBC channels.
3rd post in on this thread.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/popscene/index.php?showtopic=14077

Re: Mike Smith's TOTP's

Old Grey Whistler
I think it is a little too soon for panic. It could just be that there is a technical issue with the November 1982 episode preventing its transmission.
I'm not 100% on this but as I understand it, the BBC have the right to repeat a programme for a certain number of years. After that time there is a loophole where if a performer or their estate object then they can veto a repeat. There is a precedent over at ITV where both David Jason and Martin Shaw have blocked repeats of their programmes. It would probably depend on what the small print on their contracts state. Normally it wouldn't be in the interests of a performer to veto a repeat as they would be depriving themselves of repeat fees.
Mike Smith's helicopter company, which I think his widow Sarah Greene still has an involvement with, does quite a lot of work for the BBC assisting them with aerial filming, so it would seem surprising if the relationship between the BBC and the Smith estate was that bad. We shall have to wait and see.

Re: Mike Smith's TOTP's

ALEXMITCH1
Hi Folks

I've been in contact with BBC Technical Department, whom I sent recently copies of the July & August editions, that had muted DJ links. They inform me,  that they have no knowledge of any problems with this edition. If it isn't to be screened, then we can only assume there is a more personal reason.

Alex.

Re: Mike Smith's TOTP's

Legsfan
Thanks for the information Alex. It's a shame to be skipping more editions, but I now fear this is the beginning of the end for the repeats.

Re: Mike Smith's TOTP's

PattiForPM
I just watched my old copy of this Show and it looks fine to me too.  Even though we hear from reliable authorities that BBC-copyrighted Shows can be aired without permission from the performers I suppose that doesn't mean that the Beeb might not voluntarily miss out a Show (or ten) if someone who had some influence requested this

Re: Mike Smith's TOTP's

The Rubberband Man
If Mike Smith's family have made a specific request to not show editions of Top Of The Pops that feature Mike Smith, then I would rightly expect the BBC to respect their wishes.

Re: Mike Smith's TOTP's

Legsfan
If Mike Smith's fanily can do that then so could DLT. Maybe thats why DLT is not being reshown because of all the bad things that have been said about him.

Re: Mike Smith's TOTP's

I sympathise with your point of view RBM but the other side of the coin is Mike Smith must inevitably have appeared on shows with other people who have since departed, whose families might actually WANT to see them repeated. And where do you draw the line? Suppose, say, that the family of Edward Sinclair (who played the verger) decided belatedly they wanted a veto on Dad's Army. It's a difficult one and you're always going to get aggrieved parties.

Re: Mike Smith's TOTP's

Legsfan wrote
Thanks for the information Alex. It's a shame to be skipping more editions, but I now fear this is the beginning of the end for the repeats.
I don't think this will affect the long term future of the repeats as it is not anything to do with Yewtree, and TOTP reputation hasn't been affected. All that will happen is that the BBC will scoot through 1983 at a rate of knots and then move on to 1984. Towards the end of 1984, two of the three affected presenters will no longer be an issue.

Re: Mike Smith's TOTP's

Gorgeous Daze wrote
I sympathise with your point of view RBM but the other side of the coin is Mike Smith must inevitably have appeared on shows with other people who have since departed, whose families might actually WANT to see them repeated. And where do you draw the line? Suppose, say, that the family of Edward Sinclair (who played the verger) decided belatedly they wanted a veto on Dad's Army. It's a difficult one and you're always going to get aggrieved parties.
Certainly when Martin Shaw blocked repeats of The Professionals , it didn't go down at all well with Lewis Collins who lost a lot of money in repeat fees. Mind you from all accounts they didn't get on well at the best of times!

Re: Mike Smith's TOTP's

Gorgeous Daze wrote
 families might actually WANT to see them repeated.....you're always going to get aggrieved parties.
 I agree GD but I suspect it's a bit like ethics in Medicine;  you can refuse whatever treatment you wish but you can't insist on a treatment if the Doc has reasons not to follow it.   I would also suspect that whether a Show gets omitted might depend on your Rank in said Show so the DJ would be high on that list (as would Capt Mainwaring but perhaps not the lowly Verger!)