Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

Dancer
Hi Sue.  We were discussing the missing routines at our event yesterday and the one that springs to my mind is the Crystals dance Da Do Ron Ron - I remember you in your lovely Royal blue A-line dress.  Was the fixtures and fittings based around an early sixties launderette.  I can vaguely remember Ruth putting the coin in the washing machine at the commencement of the dance or was that the Wizzard song?   The routine was short and busy given the beat.  Many thanks.  Kind regards.

Re: Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

JEZ
What wizard song do you mean dancer ,was it one that you remember pp doing

Re: Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

Dancer
Hi Jez.  My memory of that is distant.  I remember Wizzard performing a song and also I remember some of this routine.  My question was really if the fixtures were of a launderette.  I remember someone putting a coin in the machine. It goes back too far and the dance was so fast and short.  Can you shed any light on it at all?

Re: Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

ALEXMITCH1
Hi Jez

I think it was an American Diner, with stools lined-up against the counter. Host Tony Blackburn introduced them from behind the counter. Can't say if he remained there for the entire routine though. Maybe Ruth was putting money in a juke box?

Alex.

Re: Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

Dancer
Got it.  Well done thanks Alex.  I remember it been so colourful.

Can you remember the Jimmy Ruffin track What becomes of the Broken Hearted?  I have on my inner sleeve "all walking towards the camera looking sad at chorus.  Dark lights and dark dresses".

Re: Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

ALEXMITCH1
Sorry that one escapes me and a few others for the later part of the year, such as, Samba Pi Ti & Happy Anniversary. Wonder if anything of these will every turn up. Never say never, I suppose.

Re: Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

Dancer
Did not know about the Happy Anniversary track.  Sounds like it could be Slim Whitman's track.  My first recollection really was R Dean Taylor and also Genesis, I Know What I like.  I can see them coming down the catwalk now but not in the normal way of walking - sort of tipsy.  I don't think they did that all through the routine though.  Let's Put it all Together was beautiful too most noted for Ruth's beautiful solo in the first verse.

Re: Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

Mikey
Happy Anniversary appeared only on the 17-10-74, and is listed as 'crowd dancing'. Alex, do you know if PP were featured in this?

Re: Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

ALEXMITCH1
Sorry got that one totally wrong. Might have seen a previous listing when this could have been a possible routine, but see that it was the same week as Samba pi ti. Only the Santana and the first Stylistics hit of '74 - Rock 'n' Roll baby would be the 2 from that year that I have no recollection of.

Re: Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

Mikey
No problem Alex, one other quick thing to see if you recall anything with these outfits around Aug/Sept of 1974 with the pic Hanway posted is a description which seems to indicate there were used on TOTP at the time.

      PAN'S PEOPLE PRESENT A CUE FOR A PARTY
      Girls who dream of looking amazing at parties should take their
      cue from Pan's People, television's top dancing team. These
      trendy birds really know what to wear to stop a show. The clothes
      for their shows are all specially created to blend with the pop
      songs the girls dance to. The styles look simple and they move
      well - a kind of sexy poetry in motion. Here, the dancers are
      modelling the outfits that have proved most popular with the
      viewers. They can't be bought in the shops, but they should give
      girls enough ideas to be sensational at their next party. Dee Dee
      Wilde, 27, one of the original PPs, said: "Flick Colby, our chore-
      ographer, listens to the records we will be dancing to and works
      out our outfits with a designer. No, it doesn't mean we all have
      hundreds of party dresses - those we wear on TV all belong to the
      British Broadcasting Corporation, except for the few we really
      like and buy for our cabaret act."

      PS: Two Pan's People dancers model pretty layered cotton dresses.
      This style is the one that viewing mums go for. But they have
      also had letters from girls who say they would love one just like
      it for their twenty-first birthday parties.
      SM: 74-5206-11                            September 1974

Those outfits look very cheesy and American.  I am thinking Annie's Song by John Denver but I think we have discussed that on another status or Baby Love, Supremes.  I remember them dancing to the latter but cannot remember the performance at all.

Re: Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

Mikey
Yes given the time period that does seem to be a likely choice as  there are not many to chose from, Jimmy Ruffin being probably the only other.

No Mikey, the Jimmy Ruffin dresses were dark and the lights were dimmed too.  The routine gave the impression of been morbid.  They walked to the camera with sad faces.  I presume that song has a "final" theme to it when you listen to the words and that is how Flick obviously did the lighting.  See what others think anyway but I do remember the Jimmy Ruffin dance.

If I had to make a choice of 'Baby Love' or 'Annie Song', I would opt for the later. My slight recollection of The Supreme's re-issue, was more of an evening dress with some kind of feather bower around each of their shoulders and possibly each dancer or a separate mini-circular platform.

Re: Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

Mikey
Well thats 2 picks for Annies Song that will do for me.

Re: Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

Hi there , according to the description given of the outfits on each routine danced to in 1974 ,Annie's song was done in green smock dresses ,baby love ,long pink dresses with large feathers .what becomes of brokenhearted says ,long green dresses and bikinis,it does say that the most beautiful girl routine ,was yellow dresses with flowers ,so this could match the outfits on the pic ,but that was early 74 ,and it could b completely a different outfit than the pic .

Re: Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

Dancer
JEZ wrote
Hi there , according to the description given of the outfits on each routine danced to in 1974 ,Annie's song was done in green smock dresses ,baby love ,long pink dresses with large feathers .what becomes of brokenhearted says ,long green dresses and bikinis,it does say that the most beautiful girl routine ,was yellow dresses with flowers ,so this could match the outfits on the pic ,but that was early 74 ,and it could b completely a different outfit than the pic .
Wow what a fantastic description.  For Annie's Song I seem to remember Sue in ballet pumps but I raised that one when I joined here so won't go there again.  Pretty sure she took the helm in that routine as she did likewise with the James Galway routine.  Alex mentions feather boas too for Baby Love.  Sounds lovely outfits but I just have no recollection of that dance at all.  I remember them dancing to it but nothing springs to mind.  Normally routines come in my head when the song is played on the radio but Baby Love has never done anything.   Interesting about Jimmy Ruffin track.  I may have watched that on Nan's Black and White TV.  Would love to see the Charlie Rich routine.  I think the outfits that are pictured above suit that song perfectly as they are so American and Waltons.

We have to move now to the Ms Grace, Tymes routine.  Don't remember that one at all.  Duane Eddy's track is a question mark that needs filling too.

There is a description of a lot of 1973 routines for costume wise ,plus most of 1974 routine costume wise ,on a thread on here dancer ,an aquantance of pans legs ,had give a brief description in writing on paperwork at the time , of who danced and what they were wearing ,on each dance ,he had got more info coming about earlier routines ,but he seems to have regrettably not posted on here for some time now

Re: Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

JEZ wrote
Annie's song was done in green smock dresses
Are those smock dresses in the pic? (im a fashion dunce )

Re: Miscellabeous Question for Sue - 1974

ALEXMITCH1
Ms Grace perhaps something in the line of 'southern belles' not too far away from 'Oh Lori' with L&C, over 2 years later and one of them, perhaps Cherry or Sue, doing a complete cartwheel near the end. The Duane Eddy, a short performance, only lasting after the second chorus, all of them in a type of rain wearing/knee-high leather coat with long belts, again all performing separately on an individual small spot, maybe a mini booth of sorts.
12