Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

The Rubberband Man
Kaleidoscope present a day celebrating the creative genius of puppeteers. Yes, that's right, and in addition to all the tv shows, there's chance to meet (and in one session perform with) Hartley Hare, Monkey, Zippy, Muffin the Mule, Emu, Orville, Muppets and look at a display of original models of iconic Gerry Anderson characters. Also coming along is Hacker The Dog, with the day compered by Tony Currie and Claire Bueno.

So much happening the day starts 30 minutes earlier than usual, and finishes an hour later @ Birmingham City University Curzon Building

Tickets: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/muppets-and-puppets-tickets-65248644452

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

Thanks for this TRBM, just registered. I of course will be in attendance as usual, though whether i will last out till 7pm watching puppets is a different story. I get the feeling i will be in the pub around 6ish.

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

Gorgeous Daze
Thanks TRBM. Sounds like good fun this one.

Hopefully Jeff and Scott Tracy will be among the Gerry Anderson contingent and somehow communicative enough to confirm who provided the Bomb The Bass sample.

Great to learn of another Tony Currie comeback. Never expected it!

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Great to learn of another Tony Currie comeback. Never expected it!
I reckon he would still get into the Sheffield United first team.

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

Everything'sRosie
Since legendary puppeteer Frank Oz is a fellow Herefordian, this is a must for me.

I remember seeing Hartley Hare at a Kaleidoscope back in the 1990s, and he looked a bit rough then. I see Orville is appearing too. He doesn't seem to have worked much since Keith Harris passed away.

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

PattiforPM
We should have a 'Best OFTDer selfie with Orville" contest

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

Everything'sRosie wrote
I see Orville is appearing too. He doesn't seem to have worked much since Keith Harris passed away.
The same happened with Muffin The Mule ER, but it was contractual issues - too many strings attached.

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

The Rubberband Man
The Basil Brush Show is no longer going to be shown at the BBC’s request. However, Sooty and Sweep are going to be attending.
This is wonderful news, but it looks like Soo won’t be with them, which is a real shame. Soo has loads of fans and she’s loved by everyone. I’m sure she would be hugely welcomed if she ever changes her mind and was to go.

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

PattiforPM
Is it my childish memory at fault or did Sooty and Sweep not tend to squabble over Soo a bit?  Maybe her absence is to keep the peace as the rivalry between these two old codgers might have festered over the years
GJB

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

GJB
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
GJB

CONTENTS DELETED

This event seems to be very popular and it's now sold out.

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

Gorgeous Daze
The Rubberband Man wrote
This event seems to be very popular and it's now sold out.
Wow! That's amazing, always quite a bit of space in my experience even at the best-attended events.

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

Everything'sRosie
Never underestimate the pulling power of The Muppets. Even after all these years. The fact it was produced in Brum probably had a bearing too.

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

Muppets & puppets. Why does this image of the place packed out with kids come to mind, rather like a Crackerjack audience.

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

Everything'sRosie
CRACKERJACK!

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

Just got back from the Kal event after my weekend away in the 2nd city. I hope i never see another Muppet or puppet again and prey that Kaleidoscope have cleared their archives of the darn things ! I guess not every subject matter will appeal every time but it became a bit of a chore to watch. No wonder then our usual hour lunch session turned into nearly 3 hours. Still great to meet up with the chaps again and take part in the rich and varied chat and banter that always abounds when we meet. Three more meets still to come in 2019 too, looking forward to the next time.

I'm usually jealous of these events and sad not to be able to attend but.. .

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

Everything'sRosie
Yes, that was a strange event. I too hope it's not to be repeated. I enjoyed the non-puppet stuff more. The Lew Grade interview with Wogan was excellent. What a remarkable man. And the most obscure pop show I've ever seen in my life, which qualified for a screening because Tingha & Tucker appeared on it for all of two minutes. Obscure, because literally I had never heard of a single act on it. Tommy Quickly? Anyone?

Having said that I really enjoyed yesterday.

Re: Muppets and Puppets Saturday 7 September 2019

AC/PD
The quirkily-named Quickly was given a Lennon/McCartney cast off which the Fab Four recorded on the day of their Please Please Me remake but gave up on.
In all these years, I've neither sought out nor heard Tip Of My Tongue played on the radio...which must say a lot.
12