Music people taking the stairway to heaven.

Re: Music people taking the stairway to heaven.

Everything'sRosie
Nearly saw The Beat before they hit the big time but I was still at school and wasn't sure if I could get home afterwards, so I didn't go. A couple of mates who went raved about the gig for days afterwards. Been kicking myself ever since. Ranking Roger was a big part of their energy and a very identifiable presence in the band. So sad to see we have lost him. RIP.

Re: Music people taking the stairway to heaven.

Michael
Boon Gould, Level 42’s original guitarist, died yesterday (30/4/19). He was only 62.

Quite a sad coincidence, given a few of us were discussing the band last night.

“ Searching for the magic in the universe
Guided by the stars that light my way
I have seen the sun shine bright in paradise
I am just a starchild born in space ”

Re: Music people taking the stairway to heaven.

AC/PD
True Hollywood icon Doris Day - name-checked with BB King in the Beatles' throwaway number Dig It - takes a wholesome bow at the grand old age of 97.

Re: Music people taking the stairway to heaven.

Willoway
This post was updated on .
AC/PD wrote
 name-checked with BB King in the Beatles' throwaway number Dig It
While not to be compared with late-period Beatles verbal scribble, she was one of six late-fifties icons name-checked in the Grease song "Look at me I'm Sandra Dee", and the last to die (the first, Elvis, died the day before the song was filmed)
When two strangers said to my shock, "You're on the wrong block"

Re: Music people taking the stairway to heaven.

Arlo
She started her career as a singer, and she had several number one songs in the U.S. in the late 1940s - early 1950s.

Her son Terry Melcher was also prominent in the music business, as I know he produced the early Byrds albums.

Re: Music people taking the stairway to heaven.

Everything'sRosie
Also name-checked in the Wham hit Wake Me Up Before You Go Go. You know you're famous when you get name-checked in a song and everyone instantly pictures your face. Does anyone remember a tawdry tabloid tale a few years back (totally untrue, of course) which suggested she had become a bag-lady? Ridiculous, but people actually believed it. Anyway, RIP Doris Day, forever linked to that halcyon wholesome 50s Americana which probably only really existed on 35mm film.

Re: Music people taking the stairway to heaven.

Arlo
New Orleans legend Dr. John passed away on June 6.  He created an amazing amount of music, but I will always remember "Right Place, Wrong Time", and his appearance in The Last Waltz.

Re: Music people taking the stairway to heaven.

Everything'sRosie
They gave him a mention on the lunch time news. An interesting man. RIP.