NATIVE NEW YORKER - THE STUD

Old Grey Whistler
NATIVE NEW YORKER - THE STUD
Film Release Date:  30/04/1978
Troupe: Legs & Co + Floid
Dancers: Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosemary, Sue & Floid
Link - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mcn0r

We have had the intermission, bought some overpriced popcorn and now it is time to head back to The Stud. To bring you up to date, Fontaine has employed Tony to run her disco, on the proviso that he sleeps with her, but he is more interested in her step daughter – with hilarious consequences.
Shortly we will rustle some sweet papers to annoy those sat behind us, but what’s this! Legs & Co have returned for another night at the disco and once again they have brought their friend, Floid.
I find this performance more enjoyable than 'Let’s Go Disco' from the same film. This is partly because I much prefer this song. It was originally recorded as an album track by Frankie Valli, but Odyssey’s version is much the better known. It only got to No.5 in the UK though so won’t feature in the 1977 poll.
The other good thing is that we don’t have the band hogging the camera as they did in the previous dance.

This is obviously a choreographed routine and yet it has a spontaneous exhilarating feel to it. Although the dancers have changed outfits from their previous performance, the extras are still wearing the same clothes. There is a man in a check shirt who seems to be enjoying Lulu's company until Floid steals her off him. There is also a bloke wearing overalls who catches my eye. Perhaps he was there to fix the U bend in the gents toilets and just got caught up in the moment.
This is a real tour de force performance from Floid, possibly his finest with either Ruby Flipper or Legs & Co, and there is no doubt that he would be DOTD (Dancer Of The Disco). It’s not just about him though. The girls play their roles superbly, right down to the admiring glances that they give to our 'stud'. They are all wearing nice frocks and I can't pick a favourite. Patti acts distressed when he first lets her go but soon perks up when he starts swinging her around. Gill’s affectionate little head bump being another nice moment.
The only thing I have against this production is that the camera is often pointing directly at the bright lights and the glare has ruined some potentially good screencaps.
Out of all the miscellaneous dances, this is probably the one that I watch the most. I’m not sure if the rest of you will share my enthusiasm, but I am going in high at 9.5 out of 10.

Although The Stud was widely panned by the critics, it did spawn a sequel – The Bitch – which features a dance performance from a certain Cherry Gillespie. I am not intending to feature that in this series as she is only on screen for a short time, but it is on Andee’s YT channel for anyone who wants to see it.
Amazon are selling a box set of the two films, though at £19 it is rather on the expensive side, considering there is only about 5 minutes that I am really interested in.

Re: NATIVE NEW YORKER - THE STUD

Everything'sRosie
It must have been fantastic for fans back then to see the girls up on the big screen. And no doubt there were many who simply said, "eh, Petunia, it them off Top of the Pops!".

With its reputation, it's unlikely The Stud will ever make it back to the big screen as part of some reappraisal of its merits, but I'd go and see it! Nevertheless, we have Legs on glorious 35mm film, and with its potential for a hi-def upgrade, let's face it, it's the nearest any of us will ever get to sharing a dance floor with them. And yet, with the glossier quality of film over their usual videotaped performances, they somehow feel more distant. As if they are inhabiting a world out of reach.

This makes a fine curio to the Legs canon, but I can't help feeling excluded by it. Not a feeling I ever got from Top of the Pops routines. Having said that, the quality of the picture earns this a 9/10

Thanks for uploading OGW

Re: NATIVE NEW YORKER - THE STUD

Thanks OGW for picking this one out for us. You know its a tough job being a fan of Legs & Co these days. With precisely zilch to look forward to, no new routines to be discovered, not even the odd new picture, its so good to be reminded of this seldom talked about performance.

So which dancer would i say makes this so special ? Well ive given Floid more than his fair share of stick in his far to frequent forays back to Television Centre circa 77 & 78, but the guy in this is nothing short of magnificent. Its very obvious the six dancers are at ease with him and i guess that was why he got the call from FC very often. Right from the off im having feelings of envy as Sue is looking longingly into his eyes. Damn the man, hes got them at his beck and call.

But my favourite stuff in this by a mile is his by-play with Patti. The way he dismisses her at the end of their dance and again when he nears her a little time later. There is good chemistry between the two which was so evident in Lonely Boy the previous year.

I dont mind the orangeness of the set and the song by Odyssey is great also. A bit disorganised at the end, but i mustn't forget this is from a movie, so thats beyond FCs control.

Id certainly rank this one in my top three `not from TOTPs` Legs. When i first saw this one when it came onto OFTDs around 7 years ago i was immediately struck by it and played it a lot. I did consider a max for it, but im knocking that back to `9.5 out of 10`. Dunno if we do DOTD but old bob-a-job Floid would get my vote.

Re: NATIVE NEW YORKER - THE STUD

Watched this about 4 times tonight and i have to say it gets more ingratiating on every viewing. I know a lot of us have watched this over the years many times, but my tip for seasoned Legs fans is to look around and see whats occurring away from the main action. For example keep your eyes on Patti in her red dress towards the end.  After her dance with Floid she kind of struggles to get her bearings and has to search out her partner for the performance ending. Watch her hurry along to do this right at the finale.

Re: NATIVE NEW YORKER - THE STUD

I like this one too and indeed how could a professed big fan of Legs & Co not delight in an opportunity to see them on the big screen?  I do however wish the lighting and focus were better and this does detract for me, especially as the ladies are in their disco finery.  Floid is excellent as others have noted but I would not have been able to withhold DOTD from the wonderful Patti's depiction of a disco attendees emotional rollercoaster.  I am awarding 8.5/10 for this but it would certainly have been higher if I wasn't looking through someone else's rose coloured specs

Re: NATIVE NEW YORKER - THE STUD

The Rubberband Man
There’s not a huge amount of dancing in this – it’s more a boogie with Foid. Lots of happy smiles and affections towards Floid though, and he’s the one who's very much in command here. He happily nicks the girls from their fellas, and nobody bats an eyelid – all the blokes are quite happy and relaxed about it. I guess that’s a deliberate plot device, coupled with the close cropped camera angles, to emphaise a carefree fantasy aspect to the dance club.

Lulu’s bloke is a champion Dad Dancer, and he’s wearing a shirt similar to one I used to have. There’s a few moments I like, like Patti’s coyness, Pauline being the meat in the Floid / Gill sandwich, and the snub Floid gives to Patti so he dance with Lulu instead. I particularly like the DJ who gets over energetic towards the end and in his eagerness, his hat flops down over his eyes lol.

It’s a bit short of being a technical dance sequence and there’s a sync issue with the sound, so it’s 6/10 from me.

Re: NATIVE NEW YORKER - THE STUD

Gorgeous Daze
A true chicken in the basket classic to get down to now, raising the mood for romance and, even facelessly, leaving The Real Thing looking like warm-up entertainers. The ambience is primed, a night to remember is ensured.

And it all revolves around Himself, the lucky beggar! The master of all he surveys picking and discarding at his leisure, orchestrating the illusion of spontaneity where looseness and simplicity are the key and roles are blurred somewhere between their TOTP personae and a gang of unknowns. Right from the deep connection with a woozy Sue a tremendous chemistry and togetherness ensues, one could verily believe we're watching Legs & Co and their bestest friend letting their hair down apres getting the usual business of the day in the can. I can't help being a little ambivalent about His treatment of Patti, while still regarding those moments warmly for her adorably naturalistic performance.

Objectively someone couldn't be blamed for thinking that the all-out routine that is You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) deserves to outscore this, but - aside from the switch-off to glow stick mode - excellent though again Floid is he is not a lot more than, well, one of the girls and his dominance feels intrusive. Here he fulfills the part only a male can play, so there's no sense of being robbed. I do prefer the original selection of movie outfits and, like OGW notes, a little of what's gained from the absence of the band is diluted in a glare, but overall this shades the other appearance for me.

8.5/10

Re: NATIVE NEW YORKER - THE STUD

Suefan
There is a very enjoyable ambiance and camaraderie to this one even if the authentic cramped nature of the setting hampers the onlooker.  One to participate in than to observe, but even so its a strong 7.

Re: NATIVE NEW YORKER - THE STUD

AC/PD
Lovely tone set by Mr Old Grey Whistler's 'it's as if you were there' scene-setting intro.
Such is the naturalistic nature of this film sequence that it's less of a performed routine and more of a dance floor insight, what with Floid and The Legs melding so well into the boogieing activity. Deviating from the norm, the distraction of being required to make eye contact with and smile int the cameras is not required, which means that such connection becomes fully funnelled towards whoever's within close proximity - in this instance the enviable Floid - lending the dance a thoroughly easy-going nature with several thoroughly convincing dreamy eye-to-eye interactivity. Being shot on film adds as much to the realism as the close proximity of the images presented so instead of watching from a perched stool position with Cinzano Biancoin hand we're right there on the dance floor - up close and involved. If only the sound were live, we'd be party to the sound of Patti's laugh during her enjoyable second moment with Floid. Her brief 'first' commences with a "At last! How can I possibly refuse this dance?" expression, head cocked to one side. If Ms. Hammond's styled to be partnered with a white-suited Travolta, then Rosie may well be the one that he wants. Minor observations  - Lulu's flirtatious eye connection is tough to break away from; Gill's hairstyle brings her appearance much closer to her actual age and is the hair on Pauline's partner affixed with sweat-resistant glue?
To be honest, I could watch half an hour of this occasion, even allowing for Legs & Co. to individually slope off to the bar for a long cool drink and to the loos for a breather.

Re: NATIVE NEW YORKER - THE STUD

I really do love this clip pf Legs dancing with Floid on that film. About a year ago both films were on local London channel London Live, so I only scanned through to the Legs dances and though I must say that the colour was completely different to the Dailymotion version, much more light and a whiter appearance in the background in the TV broadcast.
Anyway, it is just a really fun routine and I must say that my favourite part was when Floid and Patti give a smile, the picture in the main post.
Truly amazing that a cinematic audience had the honour of watching Legs on a huge screen in a cinema.

Rating: 9/10

Re: NATIVE NEW YORKER - THE STUD

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks for all the ratings received so far.  It's all gone a bit quiet over the last few days though and I still need that elusive tenth rating.
It doesn't matter if you don't like this dance. I would rather have a bad review than no review.

Re: NATIVE NEW YORKER - THE STUD

VintageVideos
I've just watched this a couple of times to see why some members are so enthusiastic about it but i'm afraid I don't get it. It is entertaining but not spectacular. The best thing about it is the song - and the look of Sue right at the beginning. From then on, it just goes downwards in my view.

6.5 / 10

Re: NATIVE NEW YORKER - THE STUD

VintageVideos wrote
I've just watched this a couple of times to see why some members are so enthusiastic about it but i'm afraid I don't get it.
I think its just the fact that we get to see members of Legs & Co in such a different environment and they seem to be so relaxed as a consequence. Six girls having fun at the disco i suppose. I agree the song is excellent and goes a long way to making this even more enjoyable for this long standing Legs fan.
RYAN