NEW KID IN TOWN -- [January]

NEW KID IN TOWN Dance number 19 by Legs & Co
Performed by  The Eagles and reaching No 20 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 27/01/77 Duration of dance - 2.27 mins
Dancers - Gill,Lulu,Patti,Pauline,Rosie,Sue

Gill       19                Lulu     19               Pauline 19
Rosie    19                Sue      19              Patti     17
Link to the dance
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26cx0x_legs-co-new-kid-in-town-totp-tx-27-01-1977_creation

Not sure whether i like this one or not ? Its one of those wandering around routines that can divide opinions. A very innocent looking Lulu and her mates, all draped with dead furry creatures around their necks. I do quite like the Sue/Pauline and Rosie/Gill combos, Patti walks solo of course. But im not to sure if i like Lulus rather distant and lost look, much prefer her in smiley roles. The song is okay, but i prefer a lot of the other Eagles work. Hmm, i cant go more than 7 out of 10 for this one.

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN

bucksby
I like this a lot, yes there is a lot of wandering around but it is all about the expressions and I think it works well in that respect, Patti in particular looks great. I like the set too even though it is basic it fits the mood of the song well.  9 out of 10.
LNV

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN

LNV
An appreciative introduction by the much maligned TB, “Talking about lovely things we’ve got six lovely ladies for you to watch now…”  Tut tut, who can fault such an entrée to a Routine?
     In this we get to see the pronounced sulkiness of Lulu, still as adorable as ever but not in her usual cheerful cheekiness manner. Has Lulu seen some objet d'art in the shop windows that she cannot afford to buy perhaps? Maybe it's because those shop frontages do not seem to be the type of stores to sell such items. The Legs Ladies all do look like affluent emancipated women of the 1920’s out and about, either at a shopping spree or to see a divorce lawyer to divest their prosperous husbands of his wealth.
     Lulu is at the centre of the performance and undoubtedly she is waiting for her as in the lyrics, ‘Johnny come lately’ to arrive, which judging by Lulu’s dashed hopes exit he never does, or ever will. A sad song ultimately which emphasizes why Lulu appears as forlorn as she does which Lulu expresses brilliantly on further viewing. This is a Lulu we do not often encounter or expect and so it is a little disconcerting but what a star she is for putting it across so effectively.

7/10. Would liked to have seen the rest of the Legs Ladies getting more camera time, Patti pouts well and the others are graceful in their long dresses, if briefly glimpsed. Also the camera tracks back too far to reveal the studio setting, which was unnecessary.

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN

Paperboyplod
So it looks like Lulu's the 'new kid in town', she looks around what seems to be a strange new place, & finds some other girls who are a gang, & Lulu wonders how she's going to fit in, & whether she can make new friends. & maybe intigrate into the closely-knit girl-gang.
Judging by the attire, it's pretty cold in this neck of the woods, or maybe Flick was just trying to symbolise the coldness with, feeling lonely in an unfamiliar place.
I really like this routine. it's very retro-looking, like 1950's America, I guess that it could be in, ahem, California, where The Eagles liked to hang out!

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN

PattiforPM
This Eagles song does not rank highly with me and I think Flick and Legs did their level best with it.  I do like the camera time spent capturing their facial expressions, the shopfront set and outfits fit well and the story starring Lulu as the lost soul seems to hang together well too.  I guess for me it's all a little too laid back (yes, I know the song is too!)   It just doesn't grab me the way some of the other slow numbers do.  Also some of the themes seem like a slower, more classy version of the Movie "Mean Girls" or something.  Anyway I can watch it for the style and expressions but can't rate it higher than 5/10.

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN

SuPaLu
I love this one.It's interesting that it tries to tell a story rather than just let the girls dance.I think Lulu does a great job.We see her excitement at the start in anticipation,then at the end her sadness as she realizes the cad has let her down.Perhaps the others know him and know what he's like,or they may just be hanging around to see what happens.Don Henley explained that it's about the fleeting nature of love and romance - 9/10.

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN

Lookmacinanger
This post was updated on .
Another classic composition from the 'Frey Henley' songwriting partnership with input from long time collaborator J D Souther. This is a gentle tale told at the right pace and as with all Eagles tracks their lyrics always leave you painting a picture. I like way the mood of the routine is portrayed with the whispered glances and knowing looks of the 'in crowd' and the heartmelting moment Lulu realises she been tucked up! 9/10

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN

Suefan
All those close ups score highly and the set is just that bit out of the ordinary but less keen on those costumes, particularly the stoles the girls are saddled with.
Suefan
Stu

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN

Stu
Another one where I enjoyed the 'acting' and there's rarely anyone better than Lulu for this, but it doesn't leave me wanting to watch it again straight away.

6/10

Stuey

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN

Old Bill
I like this one, and I like the song. As everyone has said the girls get to do a bit of acting and they're loving it! Once I'd figured out that it was Lulu who was the new kid in town I was really hoping that at the end they'd group together and welcome her on board and they'd all go shopping together. Poor old Lulu - I'll be your friend!! :-)

I wonder what the "segars" are that you could also buy from the wine & liquor shop. Maybe some in the BBC paintshop wasn't a big smoker  - or had just lost his dictionary!

7/10
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN

Andeebee
well, Lulu looks lost as the new kid, but I like it  - 7

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN

VintageVideos
I always found this song a little boring, but the routine is good. Lulu is a star in this one. I quite enjoy it, and so I will award 8/10.

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN

Doc
Ok, very little dancing going on here. But so what, I quite like the performance so I'm giving it an 8.

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN

Who's That Hurll

New Kid iIn Town :  A period drama set in the American West. Lulu looks heartbroken and all the other belles can do is gossip and gawp!. I wasn't keen on some of the apparel, but the setting was authentic, although I'm in two minds about the time the camera is brought back to show Lulu dancing alone. I think it's the right thing to do, to give her room to breathe and show the emptiness of the situation. But, as someone said on another thread, does it destroy the image of the time and place we were supposed to be watching?.

8.25/10    DOTD Lulu.

I watched this again recently and noticed at 2.10 what looks like Sue's blue hat bobbing up and down at the window - obviously couldn't wait to get up and play her part!.

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN

Old Grey Whistler
This routine seems to be as much about acting as dancing but I quite like it.  The shop fronts look good, but they do take up a lot of space on the stage, which probably prevents any really complex dance manoeuvres. I do wonder if they could have been set out a bit differently, perhaps at the side of the stage to allow more space in the centre. The girls are nicely dressed even though it looks as though they are wearing some road kill around their necks! It helps that I like the song, so I will award this one 8 out of 10.

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN -- 1977

This routine of " New Kid in Town ", as a thirties feel in set and costumes The main dancer is Lulu in this routine. Who dose a nice solo, while the other ladies just stare through shop windows. This done with Sue and Pauline, then Gill and Rosie put in duos. And Patti going solo for this routine. The ladies are looking glamours in these thirties costumes all the way through. There do great stares to the camera all the ladies.

The score for this must be 6 out of 10.

Dotd will be Lulu.

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN -- 1977

Suefan
This suffers in my eyes from the costumes which just need a bit more pizzaz.  That said its different and Lulu plays a blinder so she is my Dotd in a routine which I'll score as a 7.

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN -- 1977

Colm
I love the storytelling in "New Kid in Town"; Lulu as the debutante, and the other girls as the long-standing residents.

And yes, Lulu's delightful solo spot is probably the only part you could regard as dancing; but as a choreographed piece, it's well performed and full of lovely facial reactions from everybody.

Score: 9

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN -- 1977

PaulF
Not my cup of tea, I prefer to see the girls in a more high tempo dance routine. However Flick and the girls prove yet again that whatever they are given to perform they are professionals and do an admirable job to the best of their ability, whilst still looking gorgeous. 5/10
Paul

Re: NEW KID IN TOWN -- 1977

Angie
Another one of my favourite routines! Love the direction, set and costumes......