NICE LEGS SHAME ABOUT HER FACE - XMAS VT TAPE 1979

NICE LEGS SHAME ABOUT HER FACE - XMAS VT TAPE 1979

Old Grey Whistler
NICE LEGS SHAME ABOUT THE FACE - XMAS VT TAPE 1979
Original Broadcast Date:  N/A
Troupe: Legs & Co
Dancers: Gill, Patti, Pauline, Lulu, Rosemary & Sue
Links: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2deo5m?playlist=x3zvs7

The 1978 Christmas VT tape had caused controversy when it was leaked to a tabloid newspaper who took offence at a joke at Princess Anne’s expense. Undeterred the VT engineers would be back for the following Christmas and so would Legs & Co…
The title for the 1979 tape was ‘Good King Memorex’. For the benefit of younger readers, Memorex was a leading manufacturer of videotapes. For the benefit of very young readers, videotapes were what we used back in the day when a stream was just a convenient place to dump a shopping trolley or a used car tyre. Legs and Co were once again invited back to the dingy offices of the VT suite, which don’t look as though they have been cleaned from the previous year. Judging by the girls reactions, neither have the engineers.
'Nice Legs Shame About Her Face' had been a minor hit for The Monks peaking at No 19 in the Hitsound Countdown as Kid Jensen would say. I’m not sure if a song like this would survive in the current snowflake and feminist climate but with altered lyrics it did give us the rare opportunity to listen to Legs & Co as well as watch them.

As you will all know, they are wearing their costumes from their routine to 'Star'. What is not known is when exactly it was filmed however writing on this forum in 2014, Sue said:
We filmed this whole section during the afternoon break on a Wednesday taping day, and before the 'dress rehearsal .'  All of it was done down in the bowels of the VT area in about an hour or so. That also included a very quick audio recording of us doing the 'Lyrics ' (??)  but not in a flash recording studio ! The final dressing room shots were done on a different day and when we had finished taping a show in the evening !

I have to admit that I had watched this several times before I really noticed that Gill appears in the dressing room sequence. I’m not totally surprised that she didn’t feature in the main part of this performance as I felt that she looked the least comfortable the previous year when they performed to 'Instant Replay'. Another thing to look out for is the 'Bad Girls' dance which is playing on one of the monitors.

Overall I think this is good entertainment and the girls show themselves to be good sports in allowing themselves to be sent up. I would imagine that there would be some female celebrities who wouldn’t agree to do it even allowing for the fact that it would never be broadcast.
Sadly this would be the final time that Legs & Co would feature on one of these tapes - such a shame.
I will give it a score of 8 out of 10 but what will you score it?

Re: NICE LEGS SHAME ABOUT HER FACE - XMAS VT TAPE 1979

Everything'sRosie
Absolutely love this. You've made my day, OGW, as I've never seen this before. I had to read your text again to discover that it really was the girls singing, thought they might have been lip-synching to someone else at first. Some great comic moments in the Benny Hill tradition, and, of course, they look gorgeous in those "Star" outfits. I prefer this to the previous effort, so much personality and fun. And what great sports. This has to be a TEN

Re: NICE LEGS SHAME ABOUT HER FACE - XMAS VT TAPE 1979

Mikey
Ah yes NLSATF, good to see the licence fee being put to good use . Unlike the previous year this a proper parody with what is i guess hilarious in jokes about working in TV, perhaps written by the engineers themselves?. Only five of the six leggers (who have raided the 'Star' outfits from costumes) are here for the main bit, and what a good fun time seems to be had. The girls are good sports as you would expect, did this count as overtime?. Some interesting accents, Sue sounds quite posh while Pauline does a good 'essex girl' probably just doing it for comedic effect, also i like Lulus high pitched 'operatic' singing, ok im just trying to be nice here. Difficult one again to give a score, but a good effort all round worth an 8/10.

Re: NICE LEGS SHAME ABOUT HER FACE - XMAS VT TAPE 1979

Old Grey Whistler wrote
The 1978 Christmas VT tape had caused controversy when it was leaked to a tabloid newspaper who took offence at a joke at Princess Anne’s expense.
Hence the t-shirt then.

Re: NICE LEGS SHAME ABOUT HER FACE - XMAS VT TAPE 1979

Very enjoyable end of year fun. I think i prefer this to the 1978 skit. I kinda get some satisfaction out of the fact that none of the VT guys are exactly Robert Redford types, yet Legs & Co, the good sports they are really mix well with these ordinary looking Joe's.

Just on the 78 effort, and after reading OGW's observation about Gill not looking so comfortable in it. You may have a point, on re-watching that one Gill dosen't appear much at all. Maybe shes not so at ease with ordinary Joe's !

I digress. Id like to award this 1979 fun filled effort 9 out of 10.

SOTD, smoker of the day, erm, Sue for having the thing stuck to her bottom lip.

Re: NICE LEGS SHAME ABOUT HER FACE - XMAS VT TAPE 1979

This is great fun, thanks OGW.  The ladies look great and are totally in fun mode for this skit.  I love the way we get to hear them for once even if they are speaking somewhat in tongues.  The VT lads acquit themselves pretty well too and the smoking relaxation room scene at the end shows how far the ladies were prepared to go for their art and for their VT buds.  Of course for me the highlight is that naughty Patti look down during the "parts are equalized" section but there are many highlights and the duet between Pauline and the VT lad shows how punters SHOULD handle a dance with a member of Legs & Co.  Anyway my score is 8.5/10 for some very good entertainment.

PS:  Such a pity the ladies didn't continue to star in 1980 as by my date-based calculations we might otherwise have seen them in the tight shiny Fashion suits or the very interesting and equally skimpy Same Old Scene outfits and surely they would have given us some other comedy highlights if only given the chance.

Re: NICE LEGS SHAME ABOUT HER FACE - XMAS VT TAPE 1979

Great fun and even better than the previous years VT send up so I'm also at 8.5 for this one.

Re: NICE LEGS SHAME ABOUT HER FACE - XMAS VT TAPE 1979

Gorgeous Daze
How often does a humorous hit containing 'Legs' come around? In 79 a cloistered Hudson Ford served up a once-in-a-blue-moon opportunity to mold into the festive larking around that was the in-house VT tape. And the girls and co certainly made the most of it!

I echo the suspicion that for one member this just wasn't for her. The rest however throw themselves headlong into the party spirit and palpably have a blast. It's a purer helping of Legs this Christmas VT than last. And naturally more legs, displayed by another premium re-use of outfits. Ironic they're in space age costumes in a studio that now looks antediluvian though! The girls were rarely heard so this finally being made public was extra special as they put on a genuinely amusing range of voices from across the social strata. Nowt north of Watford, mind!

A bronzed Patti brings thoughts of a tropical winter getaway and of tip-top beauty among the malodorous antics. Lucky lucky lads. But let's give them their due, the boys play their part well even if they can't exactly sing. Which only added to the mutual mirth, I suppose. I agree with P4PM that that's not a bad response to the Pauline shuffle.

By the end the girls have truly demonstrated what good sports they are, ultimately turning the joke back on themselves in a twist that would have done Roald Dahl proud.

Another Claire and Friends - Eight an' 'Arf.

Re: NICE LEGS SHAME ABOUT HER FACE - XMAS VT TAPE 1979

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks for all the reviews so far. Some interesting comments as always. I think I hold a minority view as I marginally prefer the 1978 VT Instant Replay performance, although that might be because I have always found those Sweet Talkin Woman costumes particularly appealing!