NIGHT FEVER -- [April]

NIGHT FEVER  Dance/performance number 97 by Legs & Co
Performed by  The Bee Gees  and reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  20/04/78 Duration of dance --  2.45 mins
Dancers --  Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 93           Sue 90
Lulu 90               Gill 89
Rosie 90             Patti 89
A link to the dance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vTyz5rnknc

  This is one of the jewels from 78 with all six girls in dazzling form. Probably the most iconic disco song of the era gets the Legs & Co treatment. The setting is spot on, with the long cat walk made to long even longer by the mirror at the end. But is it perfect, sadly no, i have a couple of minor gripes to make. The circular camera affect that they cut to 2 or 3 times certainly seemed unnecessary. The other gripe you can guess, the blooming dry ice just made certain scenes a little difficult to view.
  I dont know about you, but i just want to see the dancers, preferably close up and the intrusion of things like dry ice just frustrates me. Cant say i ever attended grown up discos in the 70s, was dry ice a regular feature in them, or did Flick just have a thing for it.
  Talking of Flick, we can thank her for one thing here. How tempting must it have been for her to recruit six John Travoltas to perform with the girls in this one, rather like the six she used in the Xmas 78 show. That would have been a bad move, luckily she gave us what we wanted, Legs & Co in skimpy nighties and performing girly dance moves.
  For some reason in some routines certain dancers just seem to not stand out, sadly Pauline, Sue & Patti are the three that occurs to in this for me. Leaving the other three who stand out from the crowd. But of the three, its little Lulu who wins my heart, this is the loveliest ive seen her since `I Believe You` in late 77. Oh and im now totally won over by her curly top, tell you the truth the thing suits her now so well. Yes `Lulu` is without doubt my DOTD here.
  Not going to give it full marks because of the slight niggles i have, but will award it 9.5 out of 10.

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

Andeebee
not much time to post, but 9.6

Lulu for me in her little nightie......

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

Doc
I think that I'm going to have to watch this routine many more times before I can possibly make a decision, just to be certain that I've made the right choice.

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

With these two dances on the one programme, it's as if Lulu has arisen from a winter hibernation - I love the close-up shot of her around the 1.30 mark.

Overall, I like the use of dry ice and the "globe" camera - it fits the almost-sparse sound of "Night Fever".  It's also nice that Flick took inspiration from *that* film, yet still added her own twist to it.  All the dancers are apparently flawless in their glides and posing - and I believe this routine is inclusive for the entire sestet.

DotD for me, however, is indeed Lulu and my score too is as high as Barry's falsetto - 9 out of 10.

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

Gorgeous Daze
That's high Col, but I wonder if anyone will score this high:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtNMhmRNsbI

One of the first records I ever bought.

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

Doc
With a little help from Flick for giving the stand out moves to her and for looking ultra cute I'm going for Lulu.

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

Old Bill
Fantastic stuff!! Great song and a great dance. The outfits are more sensual than easy-peasy sexy, and they're all having a blast.
I really like the way they whole group moves around as one.

An interesting set too - clever use of the fish-eye and a mirror making TC6 Tardis-like.

9/10 and Lulu for DotD.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

PattiForPM
Ok allow some facetiousness for a moment then I'll give my real opinion.

Producer:  Let's get six of the hottest females on the planet, dress them in skimpy silver smalls under sheer figure revealing nighties and get them to Dance perfectly to one of the best Disco Songs the Earth has ever seen.........then let's send the cameraman into the BBC carpark with a long disposable kitchen-towel roll over his lens and get one of the stage hands to set fire to one of the dressing rooms and waft smoke over the set with a huge blanket.

Flick;  Must we?

Yes it's bloody wonderful and the ladies must have caused dreams for weeks with this but there are some infuriating factors stopping me giving 10 and dragging it way down to 9.5.  And yes Lulu has surely been temporarily seconded from Heaven itself to achieve DotD.

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

The girls here look rather fetching in their night-dresses, & the dim lighting gives this routine quite a sultry feel to it. Added to that, the dry ice, the effect of that being, the look of steaminess, the dancing itself is fairly non-descript, there's some arm-waving, maybe cheer-leading the audience, who can be seen in the background.

8/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

AC/PD
What with the dry ice creating a steamy atmosphere and the ladies in those semi-transparent slips, this routine smoulders with heat, so maybe there was a fire alarm : it's certainly hot enough.
The vast mirror at the end of the catwalk certainly succeeds in creating the illusion of a space increase, although at one point I wondered if it was a gigantic screen.
Some of the dance moves certainly look like some of those seen in the Travolta film, but being so apt, it's a wise decision to incorporate them into the routine.
Although the disco ball video effect shrinks the action on a few occasions, I think it doesn't really detract from the spectacle, seeing as it's infrequent and fits in with the whole disco vibe.
The reviewers above have covered practically all the aspects above, but I must mention that Gill looks really attractive here, due in no small part to that hairstyle she's sporting.
However, the dancer who warrants the Day crown here is the strutting and confident Lulu. She's the outstanding one.
9/10
DOTD: Lulu

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

Just to say on `Strutting` PD, just take a look at Rosie, now if that not the best `Disco Strutt` ive ive seen, then id like to see one better !

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

Suefan
As has been said earlier this is a gem of a routine.  Music, moves, costume, and six gorgeous ladies all come together in the perfect little combo and while the fog and the fisheye are a minor intrusion this gets a 10 from me.
Suefan
LNV

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

LNV
Legs & Co should be immensely proud of themselves here in ‘Night Fever’. As being six of the loveliest ladies to be seen anywhere. Gorgeous and glamorous, wearing see-through slips and the skimpiest of silver knickers with nary a hint of impropriety among themselves but still deliciously delightful to look upon. That is some achievement. They are the nation’s favourites surely and any lingering memory of Pan’s as such should henceforth be consigned to the history books. It’s a Legs & Co world and deservedly so with this and other performances, they have given and yet to give. In ‘Night Fever’ their greatness over other dance troupes crystallises; is solidified and made clear. The making of a legend, for is this not what they are or can yet be, if not so thought of? Are we not from all diverse walks of life brought together  by our memories of them, however faint those maybe for some of us. The more one sees of Legs & Co, the more you know that they were the finest group of dance-girls on our screens. I do not want to argue that they are the best gymnastically or the most outstanding technically. I just don’t know how to judge such things, not do I really care for those are tangential issues, ultimately.

If music be what brings forth Love, then dance is its offspring and here are six terpsichorean Venuses who manage to shoot an arrow of desire and adoration into my heart repeatedly by their presence.

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

PattiForPM
Wow!

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

Great post LNV. But have you deciding not to enter a DOTD by choice on this or have you just forgot ?
RYAN
LNV

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

LNV
Lulu has arrived at that stage, signified by her curly-mop hairstyle; where she has the body confidence to knowingly press the buttons with the male audience. From now on Lulu's teenage-girl innocence of Ruby Flipper is less evident, not gone for good but Lulu plays the role more so within Legs & Co of the sexpot. Hardly surprising therefore that Lulu is the choice for DotD in 'Night Fever' and undoubtedly other Routines to come. In my estimation 'Night Fever' is a moment of brilliance for all, where each individual's beauty and charm shines out to the viewer, that I do not think it appropriate to pick a DotD.

Short answer: By choice.

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

Sorry if im being totally dense hear, but are you picking Lulu for your DOTD on `Night Fever`, im struggling to make heads nor tails of your last post. Please may i ask all members who take part in DOTDs to make your selections simple for me to decipher. Thanks.

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

JEZ
ive always thought this dance is excellent ,love it ,love the costumes and the settings,not sure if i can pick a dod in this routine ,but i can definitley give it a 9.5

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

VintageVideos
I agree that this is a real highlight, a good song and an excellent routine. All the girls are in top shape, it just makes you want to get up on the dancefloor.
Rating: 9.5
DotD: Gill
Vin
Stu

Re: NIGHT FEVER (1978)

Stu
I'd like to thank the Bee Gees for two things here, one for writing yet another brilliant song, and two for failing to cross the pond to appear on TOTP giving our girls the chance to show what they do better than any other dance troupe. Brilliant stuff and they all look as cute as cute can be, but it's Lulu that's in her element here and it's a no brainer for DOTD.

9.5/10

DOTD - Lulu

Stuey