Quantcast

NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1978

NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1978

NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1978
Original Broadcast Date:  11/04/1979
Troupe: Legs & Co
Dancers: Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosemary & Sue
Links: http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=82
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiKQJz34xv0

This time we are off to the Café Royal in London to attend the British Rock & Pop awards held in April 1979, which celebrates all of the best British music of, erm, 1978. Don’t worry if you haven’t got your tuxedo with you, casual dress is acceptable. This was a joint collaboration between BBC1 programme Nationwide, Radio 1 and also the Daily Mirror newspaper. Thus we have the unusual combination of David Jensen paired with Nationwide’s Bob Wellings.  We should at least be thankful that Piers Morgan wasn’t editor of the Mirror at this time.  Now I am not saying that Bob Wellings was a fish out of water but he did arrive together with some chips and mushy peas!  Personally I really dislike watching award ceremonies but this programme was made a lot more palatable by the presence of Legs & Co…

Earlier in the programme, Legs & Co had performed to a medley of hits but this particular dance was performed at the end of the show.  This means that we do lose some of the dance to footage of the award winners and the end credits, but we still get to see a fair bit of it. The costumes are fine with sparkling tops and disco trousers but the lighting is not that great really. The dance moves are fairly standard and not too taxing for dancers as good as these.  Overall there isn’t too much wrong with it but the problem is that it is difficult not to compare it with ‘Nightie’ Fever performed almost exactly a year earlier on TOTP, and it does pale in comparison with that.
Lulu seems to fare best when it comes to getting some close ups and would be my DOTD. By contrast Gill probably fares worst and we only really see her from a distance.
I am giving it a score of 8 out of 10 but what will the rest of the forum think?

Re: NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1979

AC/PD
Legs & Co. are slightly up against it in this particularly staid environment, battling against an ornate setting and dining attendees comfortably glued to the chairs, full of stomach having consumed a course or two from the menu. The musical weaponry of classic disco hit is a little on the blunt side, performed as it is by an in-house orchestra which happens to be more in keeping with the hanging chandeliers than spinning disco lights.
Still, a gig's a gig and Legs & Co. are more than welcome to replicate the dance manoeuvres of a year previously. Although perhaps short in supporting numbers, an argument could be made that the costumes of sparkly tops and tight trousers are more appropriate to the number than those slips of a garment as seen in the classic Nightie Fever routine. So long as they're clothed, it's always good to see Legs & Co.

Re: NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1979

Comments removed due to a foolish misunderstanding.

`7 out of 10`. Edited.

Re: NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1979

Everything'sRosie
I presume this is what evolved into the Brit Awards. Very low-key and 1970s, but at least I've heard of all the artists being honoured! Which is more than can be said for, er...Bob Wellings, who looked about as animated as a plank. The "Kid" looked like he had his work cut out breathing some life into this. So too a certain dance troupe who give us this new take on NIGHT FEVER curtesy of Ronnie Hazelhurst. It would have been interesting to hear what the solitary Bee Gee present (the one who lived in Oxfordshire, unsurprisingly) thought of this cabaret night arrangement. The girls do their best but the moves are watered down Travolta rather than the classic Colby choreography. Still, it's a routine I had no idea existed until today so a nice surprise and I'll give it a seven

Re: NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1979

Suefan
Given the setting this could never be as punchy as the TOTP offering but its another nice morsel for us Legs fans so I'll award it a generous seven.

Re: NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1979

Thanks for your review, Ryan.  Just to clarify though that I will be doing a separate thread at a future point for the medley which included the Rod Stewart and Brian and Michael songs. This is just for Night Fever which featured over the end credits.

Re: NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1979

Oh sorry, i rather cocked that up then. If its just the end credits we are discussing, then i will knock my score back to seven and remove my earlier comments.

Re: NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1979

The ladies look slinky and sleek and it's fun to watch them in a different setting but the lighting and the orchestral music are no bargain and the lack of close ups is hurtful as others have mentioned.  The pop awards were I suppose in their infancy and it all seems rather casual as a result.  I am a 6/10  for this one and I would have struggled for a DotD so I won't choose this time.

Re: NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1979

The Rubberband Man
This is actually the British Rock & Pop Awards for 1978. Winners for that year included :-

• Best Single: Gerry Rafferty – Baker Street
• Best Album: ELO – Out of the Blue
• Best Male Singer: Leo Sayer
• Best Female Singer: Kate Bush
• Best Group: The Bee Gees
• Radio 1 DJs’ Award: Nick Lowe
• Daily Mirror Readers’ Award: Ian Dury
• Nationwide Golden Award: Barron Knights

However, while the above winners were doing the rounds of press interviews backstage, the real winners are the audience.... as they get to watch a grand performance from Legs & Co.

An orchestra more akin to playing backing and library music provides a disco soundtrack for the girls, chandeliers are hung from the ceiling instead of mirror balls, and a couple of lights above the stage flash and change colour from red to green in an effort to turn the Café Royal into a British Studio 54. Putting the environment aside, what we get is a simple and well-rehearsed routine that entertains the privileged guests in the room and the tv audience at home. The dance has classic Saturday Night Fever moves including the funky chicken, the rolling vine, the disco point and the hand roll, but none are particularly challenging for the professional L&C team. Nice costumes complement the set, but the Nightie Fever routine from 1978 is massively superior.

Re: NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1979

Legsfan
I like the fact that Legs were chosen to dance for something like this. The routine is spoiled by the credits and artists, but we still get to see our girls for a little screen time. They've danced to this song quite a few times now! The best is the original Top of the Pops version, but this one is still good.
Rating: 7.5/10
DOTD: All were good.

Re: NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1979

It's always good to see our girls on screen, and this is a real treat even if it doesn't quite live up to the original dance of 12 months earlier, due in part to the poor lighting and the music being performed by an orchestra. Nice enough though, the outfits look good and the moves are spot on too. I wonder if this show went out live, and if so had the girls just recorded the performance for Silly Thing for tomorrow nights TOTP's at the BBC studios, then dashed across town for this show, or was this also recorded the day before broadcast? Not important i know, but these things do tend to prey on my mind

Rating 8/10

DOTD Lulu

Re: NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1979

VintageVideos
Even though the girls look lovely, the dance is very basic and the music a bit lifeless. Looking at the clip I was somehow reminded of my dancing lessons some decades ago...
The whole thing is very nice but when you compare it with L&C's TOTP dances, it's really no more than

5 / 10

Re: NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1979

Gorgeous Daze
No more suitable entertainers than our girls to find sparkling away among the hirsute pop firmament. And no awards show was worth its salt without giving pop the sanitizing orchestral treatment in the requisite name of class. So Ronnie removes the groove, so Legs & Co decline to really get down, instead keeping in second gear and effectively giving a masterclass in beginners' disco dancing. Super outfits though, so it is that male weakness defeats the combined forces of unimaginative choreography and intrusive elements.

My countdown continues. 7/10

Re: NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1979

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks for all of your responses which are much appreciated.
The Rubberband Man is absolutely correct concerning the title of the programme and I have amended my earlier post accordingly. It is confusing as some websites refer to them as being the awards of 1979 (including YMG on his blog) but the Radio Times listing refers to them as the 1978 awards, so that is good enough for me.
Looking at that list of award winners makes me wonder just who The Barron Knights had to blackmail!

Re: NIGHT FEVER - THE BRITISH ROCK & POP AWARDS 1979

Mikey
I'm sure I've only played this a couple of times before, and looking at it again i can see why. While Legs & Co certainly sparkle unfortunately the dancing doesn't coming across as quite restrained, understandable seeing as they guests are on someone else show i guess. We are treated to some stock moves like rolling and flapping arms, and it all feels a bit...too...slow.

Given the chance to play the original track and perhaps a retread of the TOTPs routine would have been a bonus, but this seems like a wasted opportunity, I hate to be a meanie but its only a 5/10.