NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH)  Dance/performance number 189 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Barbra Streisand & Donna Summer  reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  15/11/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.40 mins
Dancers--Gill,  Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Sue

Sue      171
Pauline 170
Rosie    167
Patti     166
Gill       164
Lulu      162
Links to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2arcia_legs-co-no-more-tears-enough-is-enough-totp-tx-15-11-1979-29-11-1979_creation

http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=28

Another of those `two routines in one`, as black and white is joined by orange. Special agents Hammond & Menhenick are called on again to bring their obvious terpsichorean talents to the fore to open up the routine. But i say Enough Is Enough. I think Flick played her best two cards rather to often and it now stands out a mile she used that pairing in prominent positions in routines and in instances like this which required that extra bit of style and grace. Surely Gill & Pauline could have undertaken this particular role, but once again FC takes the safe route. I'm not suggesting for one minute that any of the others could have made a better job than PH/SM, but we shall never know. Still, Pauline gets to bang hell out of a drum soon with her mate Rosie, not much style and grace needed for that !

Just also on the opening, i know i shouldn't highlight stuff like this, but Sues ankles look a bit wobbly dont they when she balances on one leg just before the fast bit. I better stop picking faults, i can already sense the charger is out of the stable and coming over the hill.

Once the faster part of the song begins, the troupe (minus Rosie on a well earned break) spring into life. On-screen positions have gone a bit predictable, with Lulu and her range of faces bagging lots of camera time. Shes flanked by the two star pupils and the lovely Gill, with Pauline playing her defensive sweeper role that she did so well 12 months previously. The set does have a few things in the way, which does impair the viewing and once the black and white gals come back, the routine goes into overlay mode and tails of a bit for me.

As for the song. Well i cant be doing with this feminist claptrap. As Harry Enfield once said "Women: Know Your Limits!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Dancer of the day--Patti or Sue, or Sue or Patti.  Neither, like a real sucker, i've fallen for Flicks positioning and im selecting for `Lulu` and her impish charms. Just shows Flick was right, she usually was.

Rating--Well as you can tell from my somewhat downbeat assessment of this, its not one of my favourites. But i cant ignore how well all five of the dancers performed and the routine mirrored the songs mood very well. So i will give it a `6 out of 10`.

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

Colm
I'm going to have be partisan too and vote for the delightful Lulu as Dancer of the Day, as I literally can't prize apart the two lead dancers in terms of performance and skill.

I, however, love this routine - the black/white parts are elegant and perfectly mirror each other, and this is one of those routines where the movement gracefully matches the rhythm of the vocals. Then, when the tempo changes, the contrast isn't too jarring, and Lulu is at her scene-stealing best, especially when she uses her hands, rather than her lips, to convey for "him" to "just get out". A shame Gill and Pauline don't get more screen time.

Score: 9

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

Andy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

This a not a favourite of mine either but the ladies are not to blame.  The moves are great and I like both the black and white victims of ennui and the frantic flame-dressed feminists but the combination is a bit much for me somehow and I find myself straining to see more of the ladies in red to be honest even though Patti and Sue are so perfect together.  Also it all seems to be over far too quickly.  Anyway I do like the two principal Dancers and Lulu has some great moments in front of the red formation as has been noted already but for me the White Queen narrowly bests the Black Queen so Sue gets DotD and I just think she captures the whole essence of this Dance the best.  As for a mark, it's 6.5/10

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

That's a curious scene, at the start, with Sue & Patti, a black & white split scene, depicting maybe nighttime & daytime, but it all comes to life when these scenes are combined & we get all dancers together wearing fiery red dresses, & doesn't Lulu look flaming hot, with those facial expressions.
Everybody gets their (high) kicks, & after a brief re-visit to the opening scene, the ladies in red finish the dance routine on a high.

9/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

AC/PD
Polar opposites reign supreme, firstly with the negative effect for the lengthy intro. Then a flash, no bang and a puff of smoke takes us into an entirely different territory, which is slightly jarring despite reflecting the nature of the song.
Although the floor looks slightly slippery, I think that particular environment would have sufficed through the remainder of the routine, with the flaming dresses worn by Gill Lulu and Pauline contrasting nicely with the monochrome. Some nice breast-stroke moves carried out by the elegant-looking pairing of Patti and Sue but I fear the choreography throughout parts of the 'lively' section was not entirely uniform. Excess overlay and a few set obstructions for the viewer too. Lulu and the camera - they were definitely flirting with each other. I wonder if Rosie offered advice on the back-arches carried out by Patti and Sue and in doing so, put her own back out and had to give it a miss.
6/10
DOTD: Lulu

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

Although not a routine I watch very often that is down to my copy being from the UKGold broadcast, and therefore of only average quality, rather than to the content of the dance itself.
The initial slow movement, where both the white and the black queen need all their powers of balance and concentration to cope with what looks like a rather shiny floor (perhaps that was the topic of the animated discussion between Patti and Sue), contrasts nicely with the more hectic section.  I also rather like the superimposed breaststroke arm linking segment and my only quibble is that the broadcast ends so soon.  I shall make enquiries but I'd be surprised not to discover that there was at least another thirty seconds worth that was cut from this one.
Lulu and Sue enjoy the bulk of the closeups and for me it is Sue who better captures the emotional stress behind the song so an 8.5 for the dance with Sue my Dotd.

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

Gorgeous Daze
Imagine if you will two stentorian blokes duetting on a song inciting other men to throw their woman out of the home if they feel she has gone boring like the rest of 'em...No more a lure to the dance-floor than 'It's Raining Men' this one and not a top-tune either. This routine with its slow burning monochrome duet before (fumes) bursting into a shredded rosé red conflagration captures this number quite well, however. Patti and Sue are an always-visible Mrs & Mrs Weather, each other's negative image. The tasteful but unadventurous set and costumes reflecting mid-life ennui. I find it a good opening only it lacks close-ups for pathos, which suckers that we are would have helped get us on-side, considering the Bolshie attitude! Good to see there's no letting-up on the old polishing, anyway girls.

The dancing in the group part, though high-energy, I find somehow run-of-the-mill and not as emancipating as intended. Freedom from formation would have been more effective, Gill and Pauline might as well quit dreaming and get back to the ironing. Patti's streaked mascara tears are a good touch...Lulu's sleeves have a homonym. She's a front-rank tease is Lulu giving us those familiar eyes that could be signaling the bedroom even as she points to the door. It's a song of aching regret and intent, not result, so it's right the duet gets a reprise with Sue and Patti going back-to-back and joining up and this is the stage that's most elegant and in harmony with the song, and I think the vision mix works. Apart again, the arched backs provide a match for the vocal gymnastics in the battle of the tonsils.

Sue carries the pain throughout and and she's my DOTD, if I'm honest because it's about time I favoured her in a photo finish.  8/10

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

For this next routine we have two parts to this routine for me. This is dominated byour two leading ladies these are Sue and Patti. In the last few routines Sue and Patti have been put together. We now come to the first part of this routine. We have our to ladies in a black and white set or a positive and negative or a ying or yang. The set was cut in half, the Patti half is white and the Sue side is black. Sue and Patti are dressed in black and white. This means Patti was in a black with two strips of white ribbon on the dress. And Sue in white with black strips of black ribbon. These two ladies are brilliant through out this section. The slow dance movement are just right for the start of this song by BS and DS. One great moment is near the end of this part of the routine. When both Sue and Patti stand on one leg and the other leg brought up and pointed outward. And keep very still the strengh you need to do that his enormous and concnocentration on that movement. Sue as a moment, but as usually gets on top of it.

We now come to the next part, we add Gill, Lulu and Pauline to the routine. All the ladies are now wearing bright orange dresses. And the ladies go into overdrive as the tempo speed up in the song. Also in this section the vision mixer add the first part into the routine. We see more great movement by Sue and Patti. We also get some great looks to the camera by Lulu.

The Dotd is difficult because you have two great dancer on top form. By right Sue and Patti should be both the Dotd. But if I after to choose I would go for Sue because you saw her more.

The score must be 9 out of 10.

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

Andeebee
Great track, intro to long on this, and not so sure of the flame red dresses section, it looks over complicated to many moves that make it muddled.  Contrast that to the yin yang segment of Miss Menhenick & Hammond and intro is worlds away.

Lovely choreographed beginning, really like the two girls that converge to become one, with Patti in perfect line with Sue.  A few wobbly bits (certainly not on those delicious ladies thou), again the flame dress section is horribly marred by poor lighting.......

Lulu gives her trade mark 'mad' stare to camera (sorry).......end of routine......very quick

Overall not a bad affair, but rather limp when compared  to the previous months high voltage performances.

Scores: 7/10

DOTD: yin or yang, Sue or Patti, Sue it is edging over Patti but just, marginally just

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

PaulF
A nice start to the routine and  the professionalism and talent of the girls raises the score to a 7.

DOTD Not as black and white as I thought it was going to be........Lulu for her delightful cheekiness.
Paul

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

VintageVideos
I really love the first minute of this routine, it's got grace, it's got charme... but unfortunately it doesn't stay that way. Once the all-star dancers appear, the performance morphs into a rather conventional Legs & Co. disco dance (not that that's necessarily a bad thing!). Balancing those two parts, the whole thing ends about at

8 / 10

DotD: I'll be the one who gives Patti her first but well-deserved nomination here
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

I just noticed that on TOTP 29/11/79 this routine is a couple of seconds longer than on 15/11/79
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

Old Grey Whistler
To borrow a football cliché, this is a routine of two halves. I like the initial sequence with Patti and Sue. It 's just a shame that their second sequence was impaired by overlays of the group dance. As these two dancers had already featured prominently in the routine, it would have been nice if Pauline and Gill could have been placed in more prominent positions. As it is, Lulu steals the show and gets my DOTD vote.
It's not without its flaws but it still makes for pleasant viewing so I will score it 8 out of 10.

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

I'm warming a bit more to this routine.Interesting structure with the slow and fast bits being represented well.I prefer the fast dancing in which they all shine.8/10
DotD:Lulu

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

Adorable Gillusion
6.5/10   DOTD...Lulu

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

Mikey
Some neat ideas here, particularly with the two-tone mirror image intro. Here Patti and Sue perform some balletic moves seemingly controlled when either Barbara (Patti) or Donna (Sue) are singing, its elegant, graceful and visually excellent. Once the track gets going into full on disco mode the same set springs to life in a sea of red dresses, and now the full troupe are present (less Rosie of course). Its good but nothing outstanding, with Lulu leading from the front this time in 'Frantique mode' again, very nice to watch her expressiveness and natural charm on these occasions.

Its not my favourite song by either of them, but Flick delivers an interesting an engaging routine nonetheless, 7.5/10
DOTD Patti

Stu

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

Stu
7/10

DOTD  Lulu

Stuey

Re: NO MORE TEARS(ENOUGH IS ENOUGH) [November]

Doc
Both the song and the dance start off very slowly and I'm thinking that I'm not really going to enjoy this but after the preamble both develop into enjoyable performances which leaves me wishing that there was a bit more. But as the girls were faded out on a repetitive movement I think that this time we were not cheated out of much of the routine. Just shading a 9.
Dotd: Lulu certainly looks her usual cheeky self and it's nice to see but I feel that that it has to be a choice between black or white and I'm choosing white. Sue just edges this one.
Still living in 1979
12