NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS - September 1973

I think this one is well liked among Pan fans and I hope among flipper and legs fans too- but for me it’s not quite on my desert island choices ......

Dancers, Ruth Babs Louise and Cherry – note Deedee absent- a 4 girl routine

Routine performed to the record which reached no 4  you can watch it on here without the girls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipOz_k9zvzo

You can watch the girls' performance on here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW6H5HdGMPs
and here too I think
http://legsandco.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=nutbush
and here on our own youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Clydadw_vg

the versions without Tina are better........

I played it to my mum earlier & she observed that “they call it Nutbush “ lyrics are similar to the Rupert Bear theme  “and they call it Nutwood-“
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaC2K34SLhc
you can listen on here on the link above and  the lyrics in question are at 1.15 !

Likes
Pans trademark colours observed with the exception of Babs not in blue ! -Cherry purple , Ruth yellow , Louise green (baton carried later by Sue)and Babs picking up absent  Deedee’s red- Blue dress redundant ? see further comment
Lovely swishy hair enhanced by back lighting
Beautiful choreographed body moves
sexy raunchy whatever that means-it’s  fantastic
Maybe a low rehearsal effort – just get up and go for it direction from Flick
Cherry looks like she is not a ballet school head girl anymore and if she was she would be expelled.
Mary Whitehouse would have complained
Individual solo effort of girls at certain points to the camera it’s brilliant
Hooray it’s not wiped............
Louise, Louise and Louise
watch it – it’s seriously good- I had not watched this for a while and wow.............

Dislikes
No Deedee and only 4 girls
No bikini version
Not complex timing (but who cares)

Conclusion :
Dancer of the Day: Louise much as I love Babs- the lovely departed Louise Clark leaves me needing a hose down
If Dee-dee had been there then i can’t help thinking the 5 girl routine would have been a 10.5 so a 9.75 from me.

Unknowns :
What happened to the Blue-Babs dress- was it ever made and discarded when Deedee went off sick ?
Was Deedee the same size as Babs so did  the red dress fitted and it didn’t matter ?
Was Babs happy to wear Deedee's colours or did she throw a diva strop ?
If Tina and Ike had not just got divorced before the release of the record would they both have turned up so we would never see this ?
possibly a frisbee routine?
surely Deedee was pissed off to miss this one
we’ll never know

Let me know what you think friends but a Pans Classic no doubt and sorry p4pm if this runs into ruby Wednesday

Re: Nutbush City Limits- September 1973

Colm
This is a relentless two-and-a-half minutes of glorious Pans, which I think is right to be held in high regard.

I love how each dancer gets a verse and a chorus to express themselves to the rhythm, and it's just the right side of sensual and suggestive without being smutty or sordid.

However, with no Dee Dee, I can't give it 10, so 9.5 is my score.

DotD: Has to be Louise, I feel her movements most closely match the song.

Re: Nutbush City Limits- September 1973

Andeebee
Rating: 9

DOTD: Cherry

So we are now abandoning using OFTD links now for this track completely.....my copy went up in feb 2013......but up to BB isn't it if you wanna use rival forum clips......

Re: Nutbush City Limits- September 1973

Pan's People, also afflicted by the cross-fading curse, I see, this really spoils the chances to see great close-up shots, of the dancers.
This routine's obviously one of the more traditional straight, that's to say non-literal routines, otherwise there could've featured some kind of sign-post pointing to a city's exit.
The costumes at least are rather pleasing to look at, each lady wearing a different coloured full body length dress, with, shall we say, the tops matching the bottoms.
The actual dancing was okay, but I felt that Babs looked a tad out of sorts.

7/10

DotD:-

Ruth

Re: Nutbush City Limits- September 1973

Here is the link to this on the

          `ONE FOR THE DADS` YOUTUBE CHANNEL.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Clydadw_vg

It might be better members from this site clicking this link, as its our official channel. But hey, thats your choice.

For a full listing of all the Pans People links on our Youtube channel, please check out this listing.
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Pans-People-TOTPs-dances-on-the-OFTDs-YT-channel-tp4013648.html

Yes the routine itself is not bad. Very colouful and a powerful song. Not a performance id choose to play to often, prefer my Pans a year on from this. For DOTD, then i will go for lovely `Louise`, a vision in green.

Rating, err, `7.5 out of 10`.

Re: Nutbush City Limits- September 1973

thanks Ryan and andy
l've added your suggested link to my original post and thanks for tidying
playing/ logging into youtube channel is blocked in the office so cant easily link unless its among the 1st hits that come up in a search
thought it would not be a crime to link to supalu's link !

Re: NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS - September 1973

A very raunchy routine that they did. The four ladies Babs,Ruth,Cherry and Louise are doing a fantastic dance. To great up tempo tune. And a great vocal by one and only Tina Turner. This autobiographical song about the home town she came from in Tennessee. The ladies in the sparkly coloured two piece costumes. All the ladies did raunchy solos, best of theses would have to go to the gorgeous green dressed Louise. The second best Cherry.

Dotd would have to go Louise.

And the score for this wonderful raunchy routine 9 out of 10.

Just a shame Dee Dee was not in this routine.

Re: NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS - September 1973

PaulF
Good song and enjoyable routine but solo's ruined by the cross fading 8/10 DOTD raunchy Ruth.
Paul

Re: NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS - September 1973

BeautifulBabs
thanks PaulF maybe Raunchy Ruth aka RR is a good forum name yet to be claimed.......
I do think she is underrated on here and lacks credit as the longest serving Pan

Re: NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS - September 1973

Time to give this one a bump. Just seven sets of ratings, any chance of getting this to double figures. Thanks guys.

Re: NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS - September 1973

Suefan
I can understand the decision to leave the blue dress with the wardrobe mistress for such a hot number as this and Babs looks great in the red.  Indeed all four ladies are smashing but, as others have already said, there is too much cross fading or whatever it is called and the lack of Dee Dee is a real shame as she would have monstered this one.  So a restrained 7 from this juror.

Re: NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS - September 1973

VintageVideos
In theory this has all the ingredients to make it a favourite: a classic track, some great (and some raunchy) moves, the dresses are good... and yet it leaves me stone-cold. I've watched it several times in the past days to see if I can warm up to it, but it just doesn't happen. I can't even quite explain why. I'm clueless.

7 / 10   DotD: Louise

"Salt pork and molasses is all you get in jail"
Vin

Re: NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS - September 1973

Thanks for this one BB.  Sorry I wasn't here on First Night.  Anyway if 25 is the Speed Limit these ladies are speeding and liable to lose their licenses.  For me this is freestyle Heaven and the Dancers rip into this with abandon.  I love this song and its descriptive lyrics and this semi-structured attack is just what it demands IMHO.  I don't want to dwell on this in deference to our Host but it plays to the strengths of 3 out of the 4 ladies on Show but Babs just isn't as convincing in this kind of role to me.  She just seems to keep that little bit of reserve in these raunchy numbers and I think this would indeed have suited Dee Dee more.  Cherry, Ruth and Louise each score classic performances though and yes the lovely Louise takes the biscuit and the DotD with it.  Just love that little flick of the hanging cord to get it out of her way near the end.   I think BB's description of the Cherry expulsion from Ballet School is right on the money and she comes oh so close to taking the title from Louise.  Anyway the way I see it Flick did great work here in melding Dance and Music perfectly and I love watching this performance, which is one of my top three pre-Sue Pans Dances.  I give 9.75/10

Re: NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS - September 1973

Gorgeous Daze
I think this is one of those glittering-costumed, hair swishing, hip thrusting routines that would particularly benefit from being watched on a large screen. The overlays at once intensify the steaminess and dilute it by splitting our attention. I have to agree that Bab's is too reserved for the requirements of the performance. She's just not at the races. Ruth's early moves around the set are too much of a prance, though she does go on to redeem herself enough that she was on for my DOTD until Louise came and pipped her close home.

7.5/10

Re: NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS - September 1973

BeautifulBabs
this is really good routine friends please comment if you haven't already
without pans there wouldn't have been ruby and legs all Flick's brilliant progression

Re: NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS - September 1973

Doc
The lovely Louise for dotd.

Re: NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS - September 1973

bucksby
Yeah shame no Deedee but the girls do a good job. This record was my mum's favourite in the 70s so I should have got her to judge too! Anyway I like the costumes and the the ladies move well. Louise & Ruth are the standouts but I think Louise edges DOTD. The routine I would give an 8.

Re: NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS - September 1973

BeautifulBabs
Hi yes Bucksby get your mum on to vote this one deserves a ten from someone

Re: NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS - September 1973

JEZ
This is one of the most raunchy pans people routine that have survived the wipings ,the colours of the outfits and the style of them are perfect ,all the girls do a good job dance wise ,and i must admitt the long hair of the dancers just add to swishing and swirling of the dance ,i cant pick a dancer because i think they all perform well ,i cant really see that babs goes wrong at all in this dance ,i give it a well deserved 8.5

Re: NUTBUSH CITY LIMITS - September 1973

Lookmacinanger
A lot of pent up but controlled aggression seems pour out through this performance and the collaboration between Ike and Tina Turner’s ‘Nutbush City Limits’ and Pans People adds up to a unforgettable performance.

But being objective here for a moment I’m left wondering what to make of Ruth’s intro to centre stage and I’m even left a little underwhelmed by what Cherry was up to when she takes over. But once the statuesque beauties Babs and Louise take their turn in the limelight everything seems to settle into the splendid evocative routine I always remembered it to be.

Shame Dee Dee wasn’t around for this one but then the mercury wouldn’t have stayed in the thermometer with her personality made for this type of routine, but that a side the performance is still one of their most memorable. 10/10, Dotd Louise