Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Gorgeous Daze
Both screen-grabs reveal interesting costumes, kind of Pan's prototypes for Rainy Night In Georgia and Boogie Nights. Please Mr Postman being the night before Valentines.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

JEZ
It would be good to see a screen grab of The night ,just to give us an idea of what the girls were wearing for this dance ,I wonder if TV museum will post one.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Doc
Dancer provided this a few years back:
"7.  The Night - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.  Beautiful dance and Cherry's solo in the middle as she turns her head around in the spotlight all dressed in black was well choreographed."

I've asked them if this is correct or not and I'm awaiting a reply.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

PattiforPM
Ruth's smile alone on PMP is worth the price of admission

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Doc wrote
Dancer provided this a few years back:
"7.  The Night - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.  Beautiful dance and Cherry's solo in the middle as she turns her head around in the spotlight all dressed in black was well choreographed."

I've asked them if this is correct or not and I'm awaiting a reply.
To further clarify ask them to post a video of them recreating the dance in their spare bedroom.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

PattiforPM wrote
Ruth's smile alone on PMP is worth the price of admission
+ 1,000,000

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Gorgeous Daze wrote
To further clarify ask them to post a video of them recreating the dance in their spare bedroom.
Not sure that's something I ever want to see.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Doc wrote
Mikey wrote
Mikey wrote
Cherry in Red though?
And Ruth in Green?

The pic looks like Brighton station.
Too many tracks between the platforms, I’d take a guess at it being York.
They had good reason to venture as far as Wiltshire for The Green Manalishi, but surely a suitable train station would be found nearer Shepherd's Bush?

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Doc
I'm not convinced about York now as there were 4 track there not 3.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Has dancer got The night on video as well doc

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Mind you it looks like the train and track are stock footage back projection, so I guess it could be anywhere in Britain.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

He claims to have been given a tape with Fame on it that is too fragile to play. No evidence has been provided to back this up. If this is true it will eventually disintegrate and be lost so it's not a survivor yet.

Most London terminals only had 2 track between the platforms, however I've found a picture of St Pancras before the rebuild and that had 3, so that's a possible.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Doc wrote
He claims to have been given a tape with Fame on it that is too fragile to play. No evidence has been provided to back this up. If this is true it will eventually disintegrate and be lost so it's not a survivor yet.
To me it sounded credible that he had a (rather poor) copy of "Fame" as - it seems - he knew the steps to the routine and "performed" it at one of OFTD's meetings. He said he got it from a friend who had recorded it, but he promised not to share it with anyone else which is something I respect (and actually, as much as I'd like to see the clip, I'm glad when people keep their word, as there are too many who don't while striving for recognition - a certain YT channel that was recently mentioned here for posting a rare PP performance comes to mind).
Like Doc I haven't entered it as a 'surviving' routine in the Pan's list as there is no proof available, and the state of the tape is uncertain.
As far as I remember, he never mentioned he had a copy of "The Night".

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Doc
VintageVideos wrote
I respect (and actually, as much as I'd like to see the clip, I'm glad when people keep their word,
Yes I agree that if you gave your word you should keep it. But if you become aware that there is something unique then perhaps telling the originator of the tape that they have something the archives are looking for would be the right thing to do as they may be unaware that it is missing.
Unfortunately there are a few people that are withholding footage from the likes of Kaleidoscope in the belief that it is of high value. Kaleidoscope say that the only value of say a Pan's People routine is that maybe 100 people will turn up at a free event to watch it, any thought of legally selling it would be a loss making exercise. When the BFI charged to see half of the Vicars collection less than 20 people paid!
The PVL collection was withheld in the hope that it would generate it's owner a lot of money and this ended up with 95% of the tapes being thrown in the bin after his death. From what I've heard he didn't even get digital copies back from those that 'helped' him.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

VintageVideos
But you forgot to mention all the dealers on ioffer etc. who do make (a lot of?) money by selling their illegal DVDs. They are reason enough to keep rare clips off of YouTube and the likes.
And didn't the PVL prove that their clips had a certain value? They sold a lot of clips/shows for some decent money. Collectors will always be prepared to pay for something that is scarce. Think of Rare TVarchive which offered money on YT for rare clips.
Kaleidoscope say that the only value of say a Pan's People routine is that maybe 100 people will turn up at a free event to watch it, any thought of legally selling it would be a loss making exercise.
There's the difference. On the collectors' market, nothing is ever sold "legally".

Besides, it's not only the money that counts. Some collectors get a kick out of the feeling to be someone special if they have what they consider something 'unique'. Sharing it means to lose the uniqueness.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Doc
That's why I said legally and avoided mentioning the 'black market'.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Everything'sRosie
Just catching up with this.

Three routines recovered? Wow, what a start to the year. And With Sue's solo from DLTSGDOM also turning up last month, it just shows there's stuff still out there. I'd be very interested what else from British TV is in this collection, especially drama.

On a side note, I think the station might be Temple Meads in Bristol.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

ALEXMITCH1
From a sketchy memory, I believe 'The Night' routine may have had them dressing in witches outfits - cloaks and pointy-head hats (see Harry Potter/Disney movies).

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Doc
Hopefully we'll get an answer about it now.