Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Everything'sRosie
The Night is an amazing record, as good as anything The Four Seasons ever did, so to have the Pans dance would be incredible.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

JEZ
Well Alex is spot on again ,do you know Alex from the first time I spoke to you on message ,I've always had great faith in all the info you gave me about pans dances when I first tried to compile the pans people database when this forum began .thank you mate ,you helped tremendously to compile the database.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

JEZ
Alex if you can remember ,i think you once said that you seemed to remember ruby flipper doing a little bit more by Dr hook .only that's one ruby flipper dance that was never really sorted ,was it you Alex who confirmed this song being the dance

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Mikey
Wow, that Sue pic is awesome.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

I must agree with Mikey, what a great photo of Sue.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Another tape that has nothing for 18/12/75 then, not coincidence surely.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

ALEXMITCH1 wrote
From a sketchy memory, I believe 'The Night' routine may have had them dressing in witches outfits - cloaks and pointy-head hats (see Harry Potter/Disney movies).
Impressive memory!
Look how sharp my screen grab is!

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

VintageVideos
Is Babs missing from this routine?

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

PansLegs
Amazing luck to have plugged another 3 gaps in the missing routines list. What puzzles me though is if this tape is recorded off-air and the contents list is in order, why is the chronology all over the place? How can a tape start with late 1975 then 1976, and then three quarters of the way through go back to 1974? Unless the person decided to record over earlier routines with later ones.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Mikey
I wondered about that, it is all over the place, my thought was possibly a compilation made at a later date, but it is strange.

I realised earlier with regard to Cherry in red in NCSG that she actually wore red before when Dee Dee was away in Until You Come Back To Me.

I've added the pics so far for these to the 'TOTP routines that still exist' thread, as this one will eventually drop down the pages.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

I noticed the haphazard order of the routines as well. They say that the DJs have been cut out in all cases, but the starts are missing from some which suggests that the person was trying to record them Vicar style and has later edited them all together onto one tape (something that could easily have been done in the 1990s).
Look how sharp my screen grab is!

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Doc
It says something about their popularity that people were saving these compilations on their expensive video tapes. It’s a shame the current BBC don’t recognise that there is still a generation out there that in most cases secretly would love to see them again.
Look how sharp my screen grab is!

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

JEZ
It's seems such a great pity for me personally ,that most of us of our generation are probably the last generation who probably remember pans people from their totp days , because we are the ones just old enough to remember watching totp each week and waiting for pans people to come on .none of the younger generation will probably be interested whatsoever in years to come in viewing these dances again,if in future years to come they ever decide to make them available .I just think it's all well and good returning this stuff back to the BBC where it can be preserved with the rest of the archives ,but what the heck is the point ,when they obviously are never going to show them again .I'm sorry I know not many people agree with my point of view ,but if this had been recovered Dr who it would have been available very soon on dvd.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

ALEXMITCH1
Hi Jez.

Yes it was myself that remembered this routine from a lost episode. I believe it was a 'girl' only routine. Not sure if it was the four or perhaps 3 with Sue missing, as she had danced earlier with Floyd to 100 Ton & A Feather. Some lists also had a  group performance for 'leader of the pack' re-issue, but a newspaper listing for that show's appearances showed that was incorrect and a video was used.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Mikey wrote
Another tape that has nothing for 18/12/75 then, not coincidence surely.
I have a feeling that "Bus Stop" might have been recorded but wasn't considered worth keeping by the persons who taped just the routines. Tape was expensive so they only kept "full" routines. "Bus Stop" was possibly regarded as a second class back-up dance. Similarly "Summertime City" is also missing from both the Vicar tape and this newly found tape.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Doc
VintageVideos wrote
Mikey wrote
Another tape that has nothing for 18/12/75 then, not coincidence surely.
I have a feeling that "Bus Stop" might have been recorded but wasn't considered worth keeping by the persons who taped just the routines. Tape was expensive so they only kept "full" routines. "Bus Stop" was possibly regarded as a second class back-up dance. Similarly "Summertime City" is also missing from both the Vicar tape and this newly found tape.
I can remember a song where a few of Pan's People came on part way through on the bottom half of the screen, I think they came on and queued at a stand alone bus stop. I also think they disappeared and reappeared for each chorus. So if I'm remembering correctly the Bus Stop appearance was relatively minimal and would account for no one saving it. I'm definitely not remembering a proper Pan's routine (like No Woman No Cry) as I can recollect being surprised when they came on the screen. Of less help I was at my Aunt and Uncle's house and it was dark outside, which would put it around winter time.
Look how sharp my screen grab is!

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

JEZ
Hi Alex ,I remember you helped me with your memories of share la la ,Al green ,Annie's song ,it's been so long ,you are everything etc etc ,long before any of these were listed on popscene or anywhere else come to that ,and I remember you had said that ruby flipper had done a little bit more and another version of it only takes a minute ,even when some others were convinced it would have been leader of the pack .I have always been grateful Alex for the info and help you have given .many thanks once again.

Re: Never Can Say Goodbye (19/12/1974) screenshot

Thanks Doc, that's very similar to other descriptions I have read. I guess you don't remember whether it was December or January?