New chat thread 15

Locked 529 messages Options

New chat thread 15

Chat thread 14 is now at an end and its now locked. This is the new chat thread.

Re: New chat thread 15

That was a short chat thread. I have a feeling number 15 is going to be good one

I must add that after reading the thing I think you made the right decision.

Re: New chat thread 15

It has disappeared. I appear to have missed the excitement as always!

Edit: Ah I see now, not excitement at all. Good call.

Re: New chat thread 15

I was contacted by AC/PD last evening and he informed me that he felt this was the right time for him to relinquish his TOTPs previews, especially with the resident dance troupe Zoo in free-fall and hardly appearing these days. I have already thanked him by email for his diligent work over these years compiling the previews. We have been very fortunate having such an erudite writer on our team. So once again AC/PD, thanks from me.

I do though think that we ought to have some sort of thread to chat on for the TOTPs 1983. If anybody else wants to pick up the mantle, then fine, please do so. If not then i reckon i will copy and paste the `Popscene` line-up for each show and we can chat and make any observations on that. Maybe post that an hour before each show.

Even though the previews are gone i do intend to carry on with the weekly TOTPs polls, as i know they are very popular.

Re: New chat thread 15

Legsfan
All good things must come to an end .I very much enjoyed the previews and learned quite a lot about the performers and their backstorys. I will definitely look through the archive when re-watching TOTP's
Thanks for all the great previews AC/PD!

I would volunteer to maybe try something with it, but I think that would be some very big shoes to fill. If the opportunity does come up, maybe I would do something like a trial run to see if a new version is successful? What do you think?

Re: New chat thread 15

Yes Legsfan, any sort of preview would be most welcome. I wouldn't worry to much either about filling any shoes !

Re: New chat thread 15

The Rubberband Man
A great many thanks to AC/PD for the tremendous effort (and time spent) in producing weekly and then twice weekly reviews of each edition of Top Of The Pops. Your lyrical waxings were always a pleasure to read, and to get the additional background information, the anecdotes, the humour and very often the irony behind each edition of TOTPs was a very welcome addition to the viewing pleasure of the programme, and to the general ambiance of the OFTD's Forum.

Re: New chat thread 15

Yes, Legsfan, I think you would be the ideal choice to continue the previews and follow on the good work done by AC/PD. Your enthusiasm in doing the Xmas show thread and the Big Hits 83 thread shone through.

Re: New chat thread 15

So sad to hear that we will have no more previews from our friend AC/PD. Always great to read and always detailed.

Re: New chat thread 15

PattiForPM
I'm late to the party again but I too want to really thank ACPD for his entertaining and insight-filled reviews

Re: New chat thread 15

Everything'sRosie
I'd like to add my thanks to AC/PD too, I always found his reviews highly entertaining and informative. I hope this doesn't mean he will disappear off the forum.

Re: New chat thread 15

CoffeeThing
Even later to the party as ever, my thanks too AC/PD for all the enjoying reads. You never fail to make me smile review after review. They will be missed. Thank you to LegsFan for taking up the baton.

Re: New chat thread 15

VintageVideos
A real nice banner today, very colourful, very hippie-esque, very seventies!

Re: New chat thread 15

Everything'sRosie wrote
 I hope this doesn't mean he will disappear off the forum.
  My sources have confirmed a comforting (and surprisingly attractive) sighting of the venerable ACPD today

Re: New chat thread 15

After umm-ing and arr-ing for a while, I reckoned the time was right to cease with the Weekly previews. The main reason? Well, they were originally weekly but by racing through two archived years in half the time, the pattern is now doubled. With the horizon which lay ahead presenting itself with what can be charitably described as less-than-essential material for dance troupe fans, the relevance to OFTD of occasional editions amounting to spot-the-troupe statistical additions is, in my opinion, significantly diluted. Indeed, it could be argued as to which of the years (1983 and 1984) Zoo actually ceased appearing in. (It IS 1983 with half-a-dozen of the eleven editions they appeared in, which will be broadcast in the batch of 37 (out of 53) non-Yewtreed shows.
The only doubt in my mind about pulling the plug on the previews was because of the comments received on a regular basis. They may still have been of use or interest to some who prefer to read or glance at from time to time. Simply copying and pasting the Popscene listings and providing no additional text in the future? Takes longer to make a cup of tea.
Thanks very much for the very kind words . Gosh, it's good to have it confirmed in typing about the enjoyment the previews generated. So kind and so very much appreciated.

Re: New chat thread 15

Had a bit of an issue with the shoes - they're full of Legsfan,

Re: New chat thread 15

Legsfan
AC/PD wrote
Had a bit of an issue with the shoes - they're full of Legsfan,
 I don't know if that is a bad thing about me taking over?

Re: New chat thread 15

You're a game man, Legsfan.
Good on you for taking up the mantle with regard to the regular BBC4 repeats. With your young blood, youthfulness (grr...) and zest for OFTD and for shows which were aired before you were born - not many others on here can say that, if anyone - it'll be interesting to see your viewpoint towards the BBC's weekly forays into the pop music world.
Go for whichever style you feel comfortable with and adjust the levels of subjectivity and objectivity accordingly, balanced or imbalanced.
You can do it when you B&Q it.
Good luck!

Re: New chat thread 15

Legsfan wrote
AC/PD wrote
Had a bit of an issue with the shoes - they're full of Legsfan,
 I don't know if that is a bad thing about me taking over?
It's good and merely based on an earlier comment about filling shoes.  it means you're in them!

Re: New chat thread 15

It's a significant work load AC/PD when there are two shows per week.