New chat thread 16

Re: New chat thread 16

Who's That Hurll
Bad luck, Shakira.

Re: New chat thread 16

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks Vin! Yes it's great that England have reached the semi finals which I think is better than a lot of us expected.
Got a feeling that either France or Belgium will win the cup though.

Re: New chat thread 16

PattiforPM
Let's really really hope Belgium

Re: New chat thread 16

I'm starting to wonder if 2018 will rival 1976 in terms of hot weather and lack of rain. The grass around where i live is starting to look very similar to the grass at Television Center when Ruby Flipper went alfresco.

Re: New chat thread 16

Who's That Hurll
We need these girls to do a rain dance for us.

Re: New chat thread 16

Everything'sRosie
My brother got chastised by a rather hysterical member of the great British public last week for pumping water out of the River Severn to give Worcester racecourse a soaking. "What a dreadful waste of a scarce resource!" fumed the nutter in self-righteous indignation, to which my brother calmly riposted: "the water table's high...and in case you didn't know, river water just drains into the sea anyway."
"That's not the point..." mumbled the prat as he scuttled off red-faced.

Re: New chat thread 16

Gorgeous Daze
Everything'sRosie wrote
My brother got chastised by a rather hysterical member of the great British public last week for pumping water out of the River Severn to give Worcester racecourse a soaking. "What a dreadful waste of a scarce resource!" fumed the nutter in self-righteous indignation, to which my brother calmly riposted: "the water table's high...and in case you didn't know, river water just drains into the sea anyway."
"That's not the point..." mumbled the prat as he scuttled off red-faced.
 I saw a report that Worcester were reviving a race that was once second only to the Grand National in steeplechasing prestige, and Princess Anne was the guest of honour. The term 'Naff 'orf' comes to mind regarding said prat.

Re: New chat thread 16

Everything'sRosie
That's interesting, GD. Worcester racecourse is a rather boring oval, so to have a Grand National type race there would require the nags going round it about three times. I'll mention it to my brother who is usually in the know about these things, when he's not trying to rationalise with passing plonkers that is.

Re: New chat thread 16

Gorgeous Daze
I got the impression that the revived race was more the Cheltenham Gold Cup of its day, marked by the quality of the field. Although being mid-summer with the classiest horses turned out in their fields, last week's renewal would be in name only. I would imagine (and certainly hope with the weather we're experiencing) that it wasn't a test of endurance.

Re: New chat thread 16

Hanway2
I think the revived race at Worcester was the Worcester Grand Annual Steeplechase run at the course last week.
Wearing one of my other hats I can tell you that back in the 1830s and 1840s most of the then courses had a Grand Annual Steeplechase, or such like, as the main race for their once a year meeting. The Cheltenham Grand Annual Steeplechase started in 1834 and was run at various locations near that town until the present Cheltenham course opened much later. I think the Worcester Grand Annual started in 1841 and was always over a four mile course in and around the Worcester Racecourse by the River Severn. I doubt if it was more important than the Cheltenham or Warwick ones though, for example.
Also, I thought I should let you know that there is at least one person on this Forum who is not a ‘righty’.

Re: New chat thread 16

Old Grey Whistler
Aghhh, the pain of the World Cup knockout. But we have played well and got much further than I expected. We will probably win it  in 4 years time. Or maybe 8.

Re: New chat thread 16

CoffeeThing
Or maybe next time Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Germany, Portugal, Brazil & Argentina all either fail to qualify or simultaneously do inexplicably badly. Halley's Comet comes to mind and I fear we shall not see the like again. I felt we were missing a creative midfielder that could just cut through and provide that decisive pass against tricky opposition throughout. With Adam Lallana getting over injury and Alex Ox having done so well until his injury, along with the crocked enigma that is Jack Wilshire, there wasn't much left to choose from in that department, or so it seems. Dele Alli might have been the man but his form hasn't really been up to his usual standard all season.

On an aside, I see that Dejan Lovren has since the final whistle proclaimed himself to be one of the best defenders in the world. He can certainly be very good when he concentrates, but as a Liverpool fan, I fear Dejan's mishaps are something we shall definitely continue to see. Just not last night. Unfortunately. Well, the ref didn't anyway.
This week, I are be mostly watching the third place play-off

Re: New chat thread 16

Everything'sRosie
CoffeeThing wrote
Or maybe next time Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Germany, Portugal, Brazil & Argentina all either fail to qualify or simultaneously do inexplicably badly. Halley's Comet comes to mind and I fear we shall not see the like again. I felt we were missing a creative midfielder that could just cut through and provide that decisive pass against tricky opposition throughout.
This. Don't want to go on a downer but we had a once in a lifetime chance to reach the final. The planets aligned for England this year and I doubt any team EVER has had a more favourable World Cup draw. The players will be numb for a couple of days, but then the full shock will hit them of the golden opportunity missed.

And remember, the last time England reached a World Cup semi-final they didn't even qualify for the next tournament, and we had Gascoigne back then.

Re: New chat thread 16

Old Grey Whistler
You're being too negative. The difference between now and 1990 is that we have a young squad most of whom will still be around in 4 years time and this experience will benefit them. Plus we are the under 20 world champions so there is hopefully more young talent to come through, so long as they can get spots at Premier League clubs. Although we had Gazza in 1990, he picked up his knee injury and didn't play much for a few years.