New chat thread 16

1 ... 55565758596061 ... 64

Re: New chat thread 16

Who's That Hurll
Bad luck, Shakira.

Re: New chat thread 16

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks Vin! Yes it's great that England have reached the semi finals which I think is better than a lot of us expected.
Got a feeling that either France or Belgium will win the cup though.

Re: New chat thread 16

PattiforPM
Let's really really hope Belgium

Re: New chat thread 16

I'm starting to wonder if 2018 will rival 1976 in terms of hot weather and lack of rain. The grass around where i live is starting to look very similar to the grass at Television Center when Ruby Flipper went alfresco.

Re: New chat thread 16

Who's That Hurll
We need these girls to do a rain dance for us.

Re: New chat thread 16

Everything'sRosie
My brother got chastised by a rather hysterical member of the great British public last week for pumping water out of the River Severn to give Worcester racecourse a soaking. "What a dreadful waste of a scarce resource!" fumed the nutter in self-righteous indignation, to which my brother calmly riposted: "the water table's high...and in case you didn't know, river water just drains into the sea anyway."
"That's not the point..." mumbled the prat as he scuttled off red-faced.

Re: New chat thread 16

Gorgeous Daze
Everything'sRosie wrote
My brother got chastised by a rather hysterical member of the great British public last week for pumping water out of the River Severn to give Worcester racecourse a soaking. "What a dreadful waste of a scarce resource!" fumed the nutter in self-righteous indignation, to which my brother calmly riposted: "the water table's high...and in case you didn't know, river water just drains into the sea anyway."
"That's not the point..." mumbled the prat as he scuttled off red-faced.
 I saw a report that Worcester were reviving a race that was once second only to the Grand National in steeplechasing prestige, and Princess Anne was the guest of honour. The term 'Naff 'orf' comes to mind regarding said prat.

Re: New chat thread 16

Everything'sRosie
That's interesting, GD. Worcester racecourse is a rather boring oval, so to have a Grand National type race there would require the nags going round it about three times. I'll mention it to my brother who is usually in the know about these things, when he's not trying to rationalise with passing plonkers that is.

Re: New chat thread 16

Gorgeous Daze
I got the impression that the revived race was more the Cheltenham Gold Cup of its day, marked by the quality of the field. Although being mid-summer with the classiest horses turned out in their fields, last week's renewal would be in name only. I would imagine (and certainly hope with the weather we're experiencing) that it wasn't a test of endurance.

Re: New chat thread 16

Hanway2
I think the revived race at Worcester was the Worcester Grand Annual Steeplechase run at the course last week.
Wearing one of my other hats I can tell you that back in the 1830s and 1840s most of the then courses had a Grand Annual Steeplechase, or such like, as the main race for their once a year meeting. The Cheltenham Grand Annual Steeplechase started in 1834 and was run at various locations near that town until the present Cheltenham course opened much later. I think the Worcester Grand Annual started in 1841 and was always over a four mile course in and around the Worcester Racecourse by the River Severn. I doubt if it was more important than the Cheltenham or Warwick ones though, for example.
Also, I thought I should let you know that there is at least one person on this Forum who is not a ‘righty’.

Re: New chat thread 16

Old Grey Whistler
Aghhh, the pain of the World Cup knockout. But we have played well and got much further than I expected. We will probably win it  in 4 years time. Or maybe 8.

Re: New chat thread 16

CoffeeThing
Or maybe next time Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Germany, Portugal, Brazil & Argentina all either fail to qualify or simultaneously do inexplicably badly. Halley's Comet comes to mind and I fear we shall not see the like again. I felt we were missing a creative midfielder that could just cut through and provide that decisive pass against tricky opposition throughout. With Adam Lallana getting over injury and Alex Ox having done so well until his injury, along with the crocked enigma that is Jack Wilshire, there wasn't much left to choose from in that department, or so it seems. Dele Alli might have been the man but his form hasn't really been up to his usual standard all season.

On an aside, I see that Dejan Lovren has since the final whistle proclaimed himself to be one of the best defenders in the world. He can certainly be very good when he concentrates, but as a Liverpool fan, I fear Dejan's mishaps are something we shall definitely continue to see. Just not last night. Unfortunately. Well, the ref didn't anyway.
This week, I are be mostly too warm

Re: New chat thread 16

Everything'sRosie
CoffeeThing wrote
Or maybe next time Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Germany, Portugal, Brazil & Argentina all either fail to qualify or simultaneously do inexplicably badly. Halley's Comet comes to mind and I fear we shall not see the like again. I felt we were missing a creative midfielder that could just cut through and provide that decisive pass against tricky opposition throughout.
This. Don't want to go on a downer but we had a once in a lifetime chance to reach the final. The planets aligned for England this year and I doubt any team EVER has had a more favourable World Cup draw. The players will be numb for a couple of days, but then the full shock will hit them of the golden opportunity missed.

And remember, the last time England reached a World Cup semi-final they didn't even qualify for the next tournament, and we had Gascoigne back then.

Re: New chat thread 16

Old Grey Whistler
You're being too negative. The difference between now and 1990 is that we have a young squad most of whom will still be around in 4 years time and this experience will benefit them. Plus we are the under 20 world champions so there is hopefully more young talent to come through, so long as they can get spots at Premier League clubs. Although we had Gazza in 1990, he picked up his knee injury and didn't play much for a few years.

Re: New chat thread 16

Hanway2
    One thing we are encouraged to do as Forum members is to comment on the routines in the 'Have Your Say' section. Many long standing members have done this already, but some newer, and less frequently visiting, members have not really started- like myself. It does seem daunting and I never felt quite ready to do so before, but I think the time has arrived for me to get going on this.
  By my rough reckoning there are- at this moment- 478 routines we can rate- from Pan's, RF, Legs and Miscellaneous dances. ( Is there a reason why we do not comment on Zoo routines- lack of interest or too many different dancers, perhaps )? From all these dances I have often wondered the best way to tackle this subject. I could comment on them as I come across each dance but after a while I would forget which ones I had done, unless I kept meticulous records- which I do not think I would do. That means, for me, the best approach is to work in chronological order, beginning with the earliest Pan's People routine available, which is not Green River but Save Me by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich.
  How often to comment was another problem. If I did one a week, that would take me over 9 years- far too long! Even two a week would take 4 and a half. So, I will try one a day which in itself is nearly one and a half years!! How long I make each comment will depend on my time available and how I feel that day, so are unlikely to be very long and some days possibly not at all- if I cannot find the energy to do it.
  Although I have read many other members' comments already, I will stop doing so until I have passed my own judgement- so not to be influenced by others, but that may mean I might repeat an observation already offered by some one else- I am sure you will not mind that too much though.
   Therefore, some time very soon- today or tomorrow-  I will get cracking on this. And, at least, I will be able to enjoy all the routines available for commendation in this manner.
  Will my marks and awards for 'Dancer Of The Day' be included with all the others, I wonder?
     See you all at the other end!!

Re: New chat thread 16

PattiforPM
H Hanway, this would be much appreciated.  It is a bit of a daunting task to start with but is it ever a labour of love!  Just to let you know that each of the hosts posting these Troupes' Dances has devised their own way of helping reviewers remind themselves of which Dances have been rated already.  Ryan (the king of stats and head Legs man) has a "Have you rated it yet" Thread in each year.  Vin (Pans oracle) uses "How did you rate" and you can use his DOTD Thread as well to keep track.  P4PM (Born again Ruby convert) talks in the third person and has a "Dances you have yet to rate" Thread for those close to the end of the task and you can once again use DotD to keep track at earlier stages of your development.  Please correct me other venerable hosts but I know I speak for us all in saying that any comments are appreciated and thanks again for embarking on this journey Hanway

Re: New chat thread 16

VintageVideos
I agree, and just like to add that my new list of dances in chronological order might be of help.
A reminder to those new on the site that the table for DOTD in the Pan's section is frozen and won't be updated any longer.

Re: New chat thread 16

Hanway2
Yes, Vin. The chronological list of Pan’s dances for comment you created is a great help. It is from that I find that Save Me is the first to come.
Although my marks are not going to count to any totals, it seems, I will still give them. Safe in the knowledge that they are not affecting or skewing any others’ totals. I can feel free to award as many 10s to Pan’s as I feel fit, and a 0 to the one routine I have never liked, if it suits me.

Re: New chat thread 16

PattiforPM
Don't worry Art Garfunkel has thick skin

Re: New chat thread 16

Just to make it clear, only the DOTD (Dancer of the Day) table is frozen. The ratings table will of course continue to be updated, so all your ratings will have an effect on the overall average.
1 ... 55565758596061 ... 64