New chat thread 16

1 ... 30313233343536 ... 49

Re: New chat thread 16

Doc
The man just kept tinkering with the show in an attempt at chasing the ratings. I can't think of any of his ideas that had any real longevity or did much to improve it.

Re: New chat thread 16

I guess pointing a hypothetical machine gun at the audience in attempt to make them dance and look like they enjoyed being there could be considered a success. As much as i preferred 70s TOTPs, the kids towards the end of the decade (all our age by the way) were looking mighty bored and hardly danced.

I agree all his other ideas weren't up to much. Two of the worst ideas (apart from jettisoning Legs) were the guest presenter thing and the interview segments with artists who clearly didn't want any part of it.

Re: New chat thread 16

Doc
The cheerleaders from 82 to 84 livened up the audience and gave something to look at. So I thought that was an improvement but he unceremoniously dumped them as well.
I have to say I forgot how poor the 1985 clip shows were. The way they tried to pack so much in actually makes the show rather dull. I think static audience aside Robin Nash’s shows were probably superior.

Re: New chat thread 16

Just a reminder to our new friends that a full length colour version of today's featured routine "Love's Theme" can be found at the end of the Pan's People countdown which was posted here:
http://oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=2796

Re: New chat thread 16

He Hurll-ed all the good bits out. I'll get my coat .......

The 70s shows, despite the static style unconscious audience of our era, we're just more pleasurable for me, they had a feel good factor that went as we drifted into the Hurll era. In general, I preferred the music too.
This week, I are be mostly eating fish

Re: New chat thread 16

Mikey
New present on the blog folks!

Re: New chat thread 16

Doc
And no Y-M-G plastered all over it.

Re: New chat thread 16

VintageVideos
I hope this will now silence the discussion of the 'other' clip on 'that' channel...

Re: New chat thread 16

Legsfan
The YTFTLMY routine reminded me of a thought I had the other day.
The 21st March 1985 edition of Top of the Pops was archived, but the only copy "went out to an external facilities house in 1993 and never came back."

So, in 1978 the BBC Christmas tape has the Pan's People routine from the 5th December 1974 in immaculate condition, existing beyond the Top of the Pops wiped edition period.

So maybe there is a possibility that the 5th December 1974 wasn't wiped, but loaned and never given back which could mean that on a shelf somewhere the whole edition could exist waiting to be found with the 21st March 1985.

Re: New chat thread 16

Doc
One for the diaries: Sat 2nd June, Kaleidoscope music event in Birmingham.

Re: New chat thread 16

Gorgeous Daze
Thanks Doc. Fingers crossed it'll be a particular draw for OFTD!

Re: New chat thread 16

Doc
I'd give good odds on there being a PVL TOTP.

Re: New chat thread 16

Doc wrote
One for the diaries: Sat 2nd June, Kaleidoscope music event in Birmingham.
I'll be there. Looking forward to it already.
Another booking for Manzils?

Re: New chat thread 16

Gorgeous Daze
Yes, no Kal event is complete now without a visit to Manzils and another booking is advisable just in case.

Re: New chat thread 16

Okay, this maybe not be everyone's cup of tea, but the latest Hot Gossip offering on SuPaLu's YT channel is really worth a watch. They dance to Prince's `Girls & Boys'. So easily derided for the sexual nature of their performances, but that should not detract away from the fact these people were seriously fine dancers.

Have a look for yourself, though skip the 30 second Kenny intro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aXKThFd4bg

Re: New chat thread 16

Young Mister Grace
Okay, this maybe not be everyone's cup of tea, but the latest Hot Gossip offering on SuPaLu's YT channel is really worth a watch. They dance to Prince's `Girls & Boys'. So easily derided for the sexual nature of their performances, but that should not detract away from the fact these people were seriously fine dancers.

Have a look for yourself, though skip the 30 second Kenny intro.
Surely you mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aXKThFd4bg Ryan?

You've all done vey well!

Re: New chat thread 16

Hot stuff and an excellent quality upload.

Re: New chat thread 16

Gorgeous Daze
By weird coincidence soon after typing the word 'seismic' on another thread I've learnt we've had quite a powerful earthquake by British standards that's been felt in my region, though not at all by me. The epicentre was near RNOF's home turf, I believe.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/swansea-earthquake-south-west-england-wales-a8215521.html

Re: New chat thread 16

Did you feel the earth move GD

Re: New chat thread 16

Gorgeous Daze
Generally only when I'm doing a spot of gardening these days.
Steve
1 ... 30313233343536 ... 49