New chat thread 17

1 ... 27282930313233 ... 36

Re: New chat thread 17

Everything'sRosie
Hey, great find Mikey. At first I thought they had spelt her name wrong with a "J" but another look revealed it said "Jif". She looks to be enjoying herself, and win or lose there was a tasty snack to be had at the end, providing she didn't drop the pancake, naturally.

Re: New chat thread 17

Gill looks a whole year younger to me. If that was Shrove Tuesday 1977, then here she is the next day. Seems older some how.

Re: New chat thread 17

Doc
It's only 14 seconds long, but The Drifters - Saturday Night At The Movies (11/05/72) has joined the list of Pan's People surviving routines.
Still living in 1979

Re: New chat thread 17

Gill looks a whole year younger to me. If that was Shrove Tuesday 1977, then here she is the next day. Seems older some how.
Based on the age of the winner at the time of her subsequent sacking from her job as an Air-Hostess for bashing a fellow crew member over the head with a packet of cream-crackers, it's definitely 1977.

Re: New chat thread 17

VintageVideos wrote
Some interesting articles about Lee in the picture section (thanks AC/PD!) which seem to indicate that Pan's People planned to dance as seven at the end of September 1975!
Yes.
However, it seems such plans were almost instantaneously scuppered by Babs' surprise decision to marry Robert Powell on the day Lee and Mary's hiring was announced. According to the book, Babs followed Robert Powell to Morocco for his film work just a month later by which point she'd decided to depart PP.

Re: New chat thread 17

This might help with the date as its taken from the 1976 event, Susan Cuff was the 1975 Miss Great Britain winner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Great_Britain

Re: New chat thread 17

Gill does seem to look unprecedentedly petite. And judging by the way she faded she should benefit from running over a shorter distance next time!

Great nugget you've unearthed Mikey.

Re: New chat thread 17

Everything'sRosie
...and it's probably the last time a white girl beat a black girl in a 100 metre dash!

Re: New chat thread 17

Suefan
Yulia Nestsiarenka

Re: New chat thread 17

Okay, 1977 it is then. But here are some things that do surprise me.

1-Gill is only a couple of months away from her 18th birthday, but ive never seen her look so young at any time in Legs & Co.

2-Im really surprised how short in height she is in comparison to the other beauty queens.

3-Strange that she now has a television dancing career, thats been in progress 4 months or so, she decides to once again hang around with her beauty queen mates to do this on a cold February day. The all expenses weekend trip to Paris im guessing was just to tempting, though im wondering if that was a bit of narration bluff as the race looked very disorganised?

4-Presumably this only took an hour out of Gill's day but i had it in my head that Legs & Co dancers on Monday's & Tuesday's were only concentrating on making sure the dance routine was rehearsed to the full in readiness for the Wednesday. I suppose if everything was in order, the dancers maybe had the Tuesday afternoon off ?

Re: New chat thread 17

Who's That Hurll
Hello Ryan, the text on the left-hand picture of the header needs a little adjustment.

Re: New chat thread 17

Who's That Hurll wrote
Hello Ryan, the text on the left-hand picture of the header needs a little adjustment.
Ah yes it certainly does ! Thanks. Its to much trouble to do that, so i've ditched the header for today.

Re: New chat thread 17

3-Strange that she now has a television dancing career, thats been in progress 4 months or so, she decides to once again hang around with her beauty queen mates to do this on a cold February day. The all expenses weekend trip to Paris im guessing was just to tempting, though im wondering if that was a bit of narration bluff as the race looked very disorganised?
Looking at various photos of the time it does seem this was an annual tradition that beauty contest winners were invited back for this event the year after.

Stupid me, when i first saw this i thought the Jif sponsership was for the cleaning product and not the lemon juice

Re: New chat thread 17

Hanway2
Ryan, many thanks for the lovely Mahogany header to finish off the day, forcing  me watch the routine again. And making the effort of getting ready to go to work tonight that little bit more palatable.

Re: New chat thread 17

Mikey
Message for AC/PD there are 2 PP articles in the Reading Evening Post dated Saturday 07 December 1974 and Monday 09 December 1974 detailing an appearance in Reading (ad below), is it possible you can post those i dont have access currently. Thanks.

Re: New chat thread 17

AC/PD
Gladly, Mikey.
Subsequently, the latter image dates the "Flarey Types" picture posted previously and, thanks to the written article, we get a description of the costumes - red lurex!

Re: New chat thread 17

VintageVideos
I think the costumes were the ones from Truck On Tyke:

And when the stewardess is near do not show any fear

Re: New chat thread 17

AC/PD
Agreed.

Re: New chat thread 17

Mikey
Thats the same outfits also seen at the Brighton Toy Fair in January, i wouldnt have guessed they were red. Thanks for the article AC/PD.

Re: New chat thread 17

Dancer
Message to Ryan:-

Could we have a poll with least favoured routines for Ruby Flipper and Pans People.  Would make for good reading.
1 ... 27282930313233 ... 36