New chat thread 17

Re: New chat thread 17

Thats all fine, but 14 days will be the timescale they remain on the first page. Thats my administrative decision.

Re: New chat thread 17

Doc wrote
Supernature has just passed 200 views, something only about 3 other posts from 1978 have done. Normally they get about 100-150.
Thats probably because the countless people that come across this forum during their web sessions will most likely view the topics on the main page. The regulars know the home of the 40th anniversary threads, though putting it on the main page in my opinion makes finding them slightly more difficult.

Re: New chat thread 17

Doc
Legsfan wrote
Doc wrote
Supernature has just passed 200 views, something only about 3 other posts from 1978 have done. Normally they get about 100-150.
Thats probably because the countless people that come across this forum during their web sessions will most likely view the topics on the main page. The regulars know the home of the 40th anniversary threads, though putting it on the main page in my opinion makes finding them slightly more difficult.
Good, I’m quite happy to have the countless people looking at the posts.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: New chat thread 17

Doc wrote
The others posts are:
Music poll
TOTP poll
Quiz
Chat
Pictures of Girls
TOTP Poll
Screen grabs
House pictures
Dead people
Quiz
Really good music poll to see which number two record is voted our favourite
The long running fun poll to see which record from Top of the Pops we liked best.
Really fun quiz that is going to make October a fun month
The popular chat thread with the wonderful members of this site.
Pictures of lovely women from the 70s
Another poll to see which record we liked best from a different week
Screen grabs of the lovely ladies that made Top of the Pops the best show on TV
A lovely thread abour the wonderful Babs and the lovely house she once lived in
Famous people that are unfortunately no longer with us
The former quiz which was so much fun

Thats how I would have worded it.

Re: New chat thread 17

Thats all fine, but 14 days will be the timescale they remain on the first page. Thats my administrative decision.
I’m fine with that, 2 weeks is more than enough, but if you insist on being that precise I’ll let you do it. I was going to move them when they dropped to near the bottom.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: New chat thread 17

I think 14 days is quite fair. I move my TOTPs polls and number 2 stuff after just 7 days. They have served their purpose by then and need sending on their merry way to the archives. Of course if the 40th threads on the front page were still active and attracting posts on the 14th day, then yes, they can remain until that activity dies down.

But you must remember its my job to administer the forum and keep the thing in order. Sometimes i make decisions that may not be popular, but thats just the way it is.

While we are at it, you may be wondering why i have ceased taking part in the 40th stuff. I became a little disillusioned a while back at the fact that you as host on a thread in which you are asking folk to spot things, then go and list half a dozen or more your self. I just couldn't be bothered to then watch the routines and try and spot stuff that you hadn't. Some folk on here to their credit could and three cheers to them for doing so.

I did say to you on the Brighton jaunt how i looked forward to every new 40th you posted and i was quite proud of the fact that i never missed any from its conception until a few weeks ago. Interesting though isn't it how some Legs & Co fans on here have never contributed a thing to your 40th thread. Maybe they should consider doing so.

Re: New chat thread 17

Doc
As I said I'm happy with 14 days, that's fine.
With the spotted I took notice of what was said and started not to state any. However so few were taking part I've started picking one. I'm happy to not list any until people have had chance if that's what every one wants.
Like you I want to keep this forum alive because I'm a big fan of the subject.but it's frustrating when almost no one wants to join in.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: New chat thread 17

VintageVideos
Actually I intended to keep out of this conversation but I decided to put in my two pennies worth anyway.
Firstly I'd like to say that I did not expect that this forum would still be running with so much activity years after we've seen the last of Legs & Co. on BBC4. I think this is down to two factors: It's only fair to mention Ryan first here, who has started ever so many threads during the past years and still keeps on doing so. Somehow he has managed to keep us all interested and involved, I figure that without him this forum would nearly be dead by now. Secondly though, he could have started zillions of threads but they would all have gone nowhere without the involvement of, let's say, about 20 regular members and contributors. All of them spend a fair amount of time here and thus help to keep this forum alive just as well.
But I also think it cannot be denied that this forum has changed from the days when comments and ratings on routines were the main attraction. It seems that polls, picture threads and quizzes have taken the winner's podium pushing the comments sections to the fourth place maybe. As a host of a comment section I could surely lament over the decline of activity on the PPCT, but I've tried to come to terms with the fact that this forum has changed and that it is good the way it is - better than I expected a couple of years ago.
So, the bottom line is that in my estimation there isn't really a lack of activity on this forum. It's just that the interests have changed.

Re: New chat thread 17

Great post Vin and thanks for the kind words. Its fair to say the glory days of the forum coincided with the TOTPs re-runs that featured our dancers. My interest has never wavered, but even i nowadays struggle to think of new thread topics.

Re: New chat thread 17

Legsfan
Yes certainly a great post Vin. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this forum Ryan and it still is incredibly popular all these years later. I don’t see an end to the OFTDs and I hope all the regulars will stay regulars and we have many many more topics to discuss in the future.

I try and take an active part in everything on the forum, but I don’t seem to get much time these days.

Legs & Co and Pan’s People is something I will never lose interest in. Even watching their routines dozens of times, I still get the same feeling that I do when I watch them for the first time. I will be forever a fan, but my biggest worry is that nothing ever lasts forever, so I’ll be lost without all of your company when the time comes that I may well still be here in the 100 year anniversary of Pan’s People/ Legs & Co which is something I find very scary to think about.

Anyway, on a more positive subject now, watch the main page tomorrow. I have one question for members that I have never really found an answer to.

And I shall keep my lovely Sue avatar until tomorrow at 8pm

Re: New chat thread 17

Very true, very wise, and very well said Vin.

Re: New chat thread 17

Legsfan
Did I really write that?! It doesn’t seem the correct structure for me. I guess thats what happens when I write posts when I had match sticks holding my eyes open

I would like to say that I really feel at home on OFTDs and I really enjoy the company of all of you, especially on the Sunday monthly quizzes.

Re: New chat thread 17

I notice the dreaded Nabble `PEOPLE` counter list is stuck again. Plenty of green lights on but no one at home on most of them. I actually get rather stressed that it can take days to sort itself. I wonder if the anon count will reach a 1000 again ?

Re: New chat thread 17

PansLegs
VintageVideos wrote
As a host of a comment section I could surely lament over the decline of activity on the PPCT, but I've tried to come to terms with the fact that this forum has changed and that it is good the way it is - better than I expected a couple of years ago.
So, the bottom line is that in my estimation there isn't really a lack of activity on this forum. It's just that the interests have changed.
I'm sure they'd be renewed interest in the PPCT if the "recently found classics" (as termed on the blog) were featured as new routines to review.

Re: New chat thread 17

Legsfan
Is the Pan’s People Diary on hiatus or had it been discontinued?

Re: New chat thread 17

PansLegs wrote
I'm sure they'd be renewed interest in the PPCT if the "recently found classics" (as termed on the blog) were featured as new routines to review.
Yeah thanks for the reminder. I've not forgotten about this, and I do plan to feature them at some point during the 'darker' months.

Re: New chat thread 17

Legsfan wrote
Is the Pan’s People Diary on hiatus or had it been discontinued?
Modifying a famous quote by Björn Ulvaeus (ABBA), the PPD is making a pause but I don't know how long this pause is going to be (Björn said something similar in 1984 on a German TV Show when asked about the future of ABBA).

Re: New chat thread 17

Legsfan
Thanks for the info Vin. Would $1 billion be enough to tempt you

Re: New chat thread 17

Old Grey Whistler
Legsfan wrote
Thanks for the info Vin. Would $1 billion be enough to tempt you
I would do it for $100

Re: New chat thread 17

Legsfan
Ooh Vin has reached 11111 posts