New chat thread 19

Time for a new chat thread me thinks. OFTDs is a very cosy place with a easy going outlook on things.
Use this thread to chat about anything (well within reason). The only subject that is not allowed is politics, OFTDs is not the place for that. The old thread is now in the archive.

Re: New chat thread 19

Dancer
Joined another Genesis facebook page today in the hope that one of their fans has the Pans footage from 1974.  I always envisaged their early fans would be very affluent, posh individuals where the latest technology would be chicken feed to them hence I would imagine that one of their fans has this footage hidden away in some attic, verandah or garage.  One can hope.

Re: New chat thread 19

Everything'sRosie
Best of luck on that, Dancer. I can see your thinking but many of those early fans are going to be 70+ now. Any recordings squirreled away in the attics of their Surrey mansions might only come to light when they shuffle off their mortal coils, only then to be thrown in a skip by their offspring. I was hoping many such treasures might exist in the Bob Monkhouse archive, but it seems our Bob was not much of a music fan.

Re: New chat thread 19

Doc
Ultimately a sad day in the header for tomorrow.  Ironically 38 years ago I was delighted when this came on the show, after all Sue was back. How little I knew, thanks to the producer no doubt stopping the DJs from highlighting the last appearances.
Still living in 1979

Re: New chat thread 19

Who's That Hurll
Someone on the Network FB page, has pointed out that the Eric Morecambe tribute evening (1984) has been posted on YT.
I noticed Cherry was listed in the credits at the end (as well as the Irving Davies Dancers). I'm busy this evening, so perhaps someone could investigate at what point(s) Cherry appears in the show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy2mzsoKmEM

Re: New chat thread 19

Who's That Hurll wrote
 I'm busy this evening, so perhaps someone could investigate at what point(s) Cherry appears in the show?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy2mzsoKmEM
Wayne Sleep & Cherry Gillespie at 1:28:45.

Re: New chat thread 19

Who's That Hurll
Thanks, I've just watched it. Is this appearance new to the Cherry files or has it already been well documented?

Re: New chat thread 19

Doc
No, it’s already listed on Cherry’s appearances.
Still living in 1979

Re: New chat thread 19

Dolly
Hey Y'all!
So I've finally finished the Pans Book. It was well worth the effort. I thought it was thoroughly written and full of info that I've been wondering about. My goodness! That lil Cherry is a lil pistol! I had a feeling she didn't like Ruby Flipper. Her heart just wasn't into it.
I'm wondering now, if there's a movie in the making? I'm pretty sure it won't show here in the states, but maybe you guys may know something about it? I think the story of Pans People would make a good tv movie! What do you guys think?
Take care!
Dolly💋

Re: New chat thread 19

Hanway2
  Hello Dolly!!!
  A movie is a very good idea. But who should play the parts of the dancers? Who is good enough to portray Flick, Ruth, Louise, Sue, Patti, Lulu and all to perfection. Another question for the Forum, perhaps?

Re: New chat thread 19

It is a very good book Dolly.  I only bought it when I joined this forum but would have so liked to have been at the launch.  I have read it once and delved into it again but feel I need to re-read it.  It certainly was so in-depth and one never realised what they had to do to get to the pinnacle of ToTPs.  A film would be good.  I have always thought we should have a two hour documentary or four parter to be fair as I am sure that would go down equally well.  I take it you have seen the Digging the Dancing Queens documentary which was televised here in the nineties.

Re: New chat thread 19

Doc
No new (old) Christmas TOTPs this year on BBC 4, just a random selection of old Christmas TOTP2s. Slade and Wizzard will no doubt be looking forward to the royalty cheques for being shown almost every night.
Still living in 1979

Re: New chat thread 19

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Just throwing one out there - does anyone else kind of hope 1989 is the last year of the TOTP repeats or am I just feeling grinchy today?
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: New chat thread 19

Old Grey Whistler
I don't mind if the repeats continue past 1989.  There was some good music in the 1990's, although I would rate it as less good than the 80's and 70's and probably the 60's as well.

Re: New chat thread 19

Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
Just throwing one out there - does anyone else kind of hope 1989 is the last year of the TOTP repeats or am I just feeling grinchy today?
Yes, put the thing out of its misery ASAP.

Re: New chat thread 19

Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
Just throwing one out there - does anyone else kind of hope 1989 is the last year of the TOTP repeats or am I just feeling grinchy today?
Viewing figures for the TOTPs reruns keep going up, so it's unlikely this will be the last year unless there is a sudden drop off. But with the likes of Soul II Soul, The Stone Roses, and The Happy Mondays coming up, I can't see that happening.
You only need one 'ism' in your life, and that's Luluism

Re: New chat thread 19

I agree with OGW!! There is good music in the nineties, though more thinly spread than previously.  I'll still be watching if the repeats continue beyond 89 although there will come a day (probably around the time Take That start appearing) when for the first time I'll get selective in which editions are worth it.

Re: New chat thread 19

Hanway2
    Take That, Westlife and Boyzone. Which one of these infiltrates- stagnates was my original choice of word- the TOTPs studio first? If the repeats go on that long I may need to be elsewhere when it happens. Counting the pebbles on Brighton beach feels a much more attractive proposition.

Re: New chat thread 19

Gorgeous Daze
Take That are first along. Strange for something that feels relatively recent, they can be considered the grandads of all British 'boybands'.

Re: New chat thread 19

Hanway2 wrote
 If the repeats go on that long I may need to be elsewhere when it happens.
Yes, thats the solution, simply do not watch. I packed in watching about 2 months ago and my TOTPs on BBC4 days are over. It got to the stage that i found i disliked TOTPs as much as i did when i originally watched back in 1988.