OFF THE WALL [December]

OFF THE WALL  Dance/performance number 190 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Michael Jackson  reaching number 7 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  06/12/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.36 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      172
Pauline 171
Rosie    168
Patti     167
Gill       165
Lulu      163
A link to the dance--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAaZQp0BP2s

Legs & Co fresh from their their break due to strike action return to TOTPs and perform a second song of the hugely successful `Off The Wall` album, this time to the title track. In an highly charged studio atmosphere (shoulda kept the studio mikes on for full effect), its the turn of Simon Bates to make his debut presenting the show. He was never a man i really took to. He looked more akin to being a Physics teacher or a assistant bank manager rather than being given the task of presenting a popular show aimed at the under 25s. But credit were its due, he went on to present a staggering 78 shows over nine year period. Just one last thing on old master Bates. How bizarre was it that on both his opening two shows, he manged to get his hands on our dear Rosie. Although the camera misses it on this dance, he defiantly got his index finger on her shoulder in his intro. In the next show he got much more than a single digit on her, but lets wait until then to discuss that a little more.

I said one last thing on Bates, but heres another. The more i listen to his intro the more it sounds like hes saying `Up The Wall` ? The man seemed to make a habit of announcing song titles wrong.

Ive often been very critical of plonking the audience down on rows of seats, as they do tend to look very static and uninterested. But my word, this particular audience seem to have been on the fizzy pop all afternoon as their excitable enjoyment of the routine is so noticeable. Loads of people to look at. Our friend in the red sweater on the end of the row is obviously having the time of his life, as he frantically claps away. Im sure the girls must have noticed him during the dance, i mean they could hardly miss him. He does remind me of a member who used to frequent these pages, but who chose to fall on his sword after a ill advised venture to the South coast, i reckon he was like him.

Its been long thought that the well known broadcaster Danny Baker is seated somewhere amongst this lot. Im not sure which one he is, maybe someone can identify him. I reckon hes sitting somewhere near pork-Pie hat man and that motley rabble. Not sure how the guy in that lot managed to fall of his seat, but it certainly brought a smile to Rosie's face. Indeed before that Rosie seemed to enjoy the happenings in that section of the rowdy crowd. Although i think she denied this in her Q&A, im sure she touched hands with a man in the crowd, it was over in about a quarter of a second. Infact after watching the footage on BBC i think so more than ever. What do you lot think, or are my eyes playing tricks on me. Remember ive only ever had a grainy copy of this dance.

The triangle layout is pleasing and it somehow helps to create an enclosed feel to proceedings. It also provides those run off areas and in one instance we see Sue racing off. I cant say im to enamored though with having passers by stationed in these gaps, who the hell was the woman wandering about with her jacket rapped around her shoulders and the man in white (who resembled Gerry Rafferty) getting an eyeful.

The routine itself gives the dancers an opportunity to clown about a bit with some funny facial expressions. I think Pauline wins the battle of faces in this. Theres so many facets to the choreography in this im not going to start trying to pick out individual moves, but my favourite bit is towards the end when the dancers reveal themselves in the line, with Patti the last to do so. The leather look jackets will be back in February, but again i wont let on which routine it will be.

DOTD. All the dancers are having a smashing time, but `Rosie` just stands out so much. What a fun lady she must of been and im sure still is.

Rating. Yes this is my 11 out of 10 choice for this year. So much to keep the viewer occupied apart from the great dancing and the record itself is a dance track just made for our girls. I have a feeling others wont share my enthusiasm and passion for this, but as i cant give it eleven, im giving it the max i can and thats `10 out of 10`

I hope this is the cover sleeve for the single ?

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

PattiforPM
Brilliant.  Love the enthusiastic lads on benches even though I'd have liked their heads out of the way several times to allow a better view of our lovely Dancers in their sparkly suits and leather jackets.  This triangular dance is really inventive and I just love it, with the ladies looking as if they're having as much fun as everyone else.  The MJ song is great too and as Ryan notes there's loads happening and entertainment is set to Maximum.   Rosie is undoubtedly funniest here and, let's face it, the whole Troupe is on fire but it's that mischevious look from Pauline that really catches my eye so DotD she is.  I've given a lot of 10/10  marks recently but I really can not give this one any less as it's truly great to watch.

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

An upbeat routine and by a country mile the highlight of what was otherwise a dreadfully downbeat show.
The ladies were clearly having a lot of fun but audience participation, whether they be practically comatose or hyper-active, almost always detracts/distracts so despite the ladies best effort this is only a 7.5 with Rosie Dotd.

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

Colm
MJ never sounded so good as this, and the girls are equally appealing.

So many highlights here - the jackets are awesome, Lulu's ponytail is really cute, I love Sue's acting out the "Hee!" part in the last verse, quickly followed by Pauline's lovely bit of mischief. I have to say, Gill appears to be back on form here, and full of delightful smiles.

btw, I think Danny Baker is beside the guy who falls on his perch, he's the one wearing a cream coloured jacket.

Score: 10

DotD: For putting up with Simes' attention and errant audience members with a beautiful smile, Rosie

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

The ladies are decked out in leather, so it's a shame that their motorbikes & crash helmets were absent, but having said all of that, they're obviously in their elements, & really milking the audience, & don't they just love it, partularly the by not w famous man in the red jersey, having a bit of a posture malfunction.
Also aren't the pig tails looking rather cute.

9/10

DotD:-

Rosie

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

Possibly the highlight of the show this week.I love the off the wall dress-sense and pony-tails.I love the audience participation too as it certainly adds to the enjoyment overall of the performance.The dancing is great with no filler.10/10
DotD:Rosie

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

Andy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

Andy wrote
A wonderful fun routine the girls costumes look great are those the same jackets that will be used in “The Beat Goes On”
For our newer fans maybe its best to say its the second version, as not to cause confusion.

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

PaulF
A nice routine but felt the audience got in the way a bit. 8/10

DOTD Cracklin Rosie.
Paul

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

AC/PD
A dance which epitomises the instruction of the line '...just enjoy yourself' and also one obeyed by the audience too, particularly the row of young men who look as if they're on an evening out, with the man in the red jumper their enthusiastic tutor.
As previously mentioned, it's a shame the studio mics weren't kept on throughout the performance to enhance the live atmosphere even further. The ladies get a nice introduction after a fortnight off and their vigour and sparkle at returning to TOTPs is well-projected. They're all on form with only Patti getting less of a showing than the others who all look good in leather jackets a few sizes up from those worn in You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real). Lulu looks good with her hair up in a ponytail right from the start but Rosie provides just that little bit more all-round enjoyment from her moves through to her expressions during the amusing moments. Gill performs the old knee/hand swapover illusion and when it comes to Pauline's individual moment, I thought she was trying to hold back a sneeze. A curious occasion when Sue momentarily dashes off out of sight for no obvious reason, unless she ducks out for a quick sip of Campari and soda behind the pillar. Love the way Rosie casually strolls, hands in pockets, into her next position during Sue's spotlight moment and she also deserves praise for keeping going as the closest witness to Danny Baker's falling friend.
9/10
DOTD: Rosie

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

This routine is in a triangle shaped area, that is surrounded by the audience on chairs. The ladies start in a line. The camera moves down the line, from Rosie, Lulu, Sue, Pauline, Gill and then Patti last of all. The ladies are wearing black leather jackets over sparkly coloured leotards and black shoes. Again this another top notch routine from flick and the ladies. And some nice solos by our leading ladies. This routine as lots of incidents outside the dance its self. We have one of the audience fall off is chair. And then you have the mad guy in the red jumper. Getting carried away as Sue says in that interveiw. So all round a routine with excitement and incident. And the ladies are all looking great for me.

So the Dotd will after go to Rosie, but all the ladies were great in this routine.

The score is 10 out of 10.

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

In Rosie's Q&A i asked a second set of questions to her about the `Off The Wall` performance, as its always been one of my favourites. Ive copied and pasted my questions and Rosie reply.

Hi again Rosie. Id say my favourite routine from 1979 would have to be `Off The Wall`. The song was great and there was so much happening in it, an incident packed performance one may say. I have three more questions for you.

Were you aware of the shenanigans that was going on with the guy wearing the pork pie hat and his mate who fell of the chair at 0.59 seconds on the link below. They seemed to make you laugh.

Also did you ever so briefly touch hands with an audience member at 1.55 seconds or were my eyes playing tricks with me.

Finally, were you aware that on Simon Bates first two shows hosting TOTPs he name checked you on his first and on his second he walked of arm in arm with you. I reckon you may have been his favourite Legs girl!

RYAN

1) Yeah, I liked Off The Wall too.  Where is that guy that fell of the bench?  It's not you is it Ryan or are you the guy with the white trousers and the red jumper on?  Yes I was aware of a guy falling off the bench, I mean it doesn't take much to make me laugh so you can imagine I had to really dig deep and concentrate.

2) Hang on - let me go into You Tube and have a look.  Blimey Ryan, I don't know what you mean.  I think your eyes are playing tricks with you.

3) No idea.

Thanks Ryan.

Rosie

Well i think we can now be sure that Rosie touched hands with an audience member and that Ryan's eyes were not playing tricks. Please check this out at 2.18 mins on the link Andee has provided. (note also the bloke on the floor at that time, all part of the shenanigans i mentioned to Rosie).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAaZQp0BP2s

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

Having looked at closely in big screen i don't think Rosie touched anyone's hand.I can see how you might think that,because of the camera angle and all the audience clapping.I'm pretty sure she'd have remembered something like that as it would have been unusual,and certainly another 'dig deep and concentrate' moment.

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

Okay Supalu. But for me the evidence is now crystal clear to see and the more i look at it for more it appears that way. Rosie clearly swings her right hand round to make contact with a hand from the audience and i now fail to see how you or anybody else can miss this.

As for Rosie remembering such a small incident, why would she.

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

SuPaLu
They don't often dance in such close proximity to the audience so i think any  accidental contact would have been memorable.If Rosie had forgotten it then watching the video on YT which she did would have brought it back to her because it is unusual - i can't think of any other time when a dancer accidentally struck an audience member.Knowing Rosie's sense of humour as we do i think it would have been a talking point in the dressing room ;'oh my gosh i turned around and my hand whacked into somebody'.

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

A very good routine, no doubt about it. Fun, energy, the right music (even if my fondness for MJ's music has waned considerably during the past decades), nice close-ups - you name it!
Yet the audience participation is a bit too much for me, especially when they are blocking the view, which seems to be the case for about half of the routine. This could have been a top scorer but as it is I can't give any more than

8.5 / 10

DotD: Rosie
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

It wasn't accidental, Rosie purposely touched hands with an audience guy. The more i watch, the more it stands out a mile.

The whole thing was done and dusted in about 0.25 of a second. I'd guess Rosie didn't even realize she had done it at the time, so there would be no way she would have remembered such a thing 35 years later. I spotted this on the old grainy footage, now we have the benefit of BBC4 footage and its there for all to see.

Your still picture above isn't really much use im afraid Glenn, the footage in real time is what is required.

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

SuPaLu
It's impossible to purposely do something and not realise you've done it.If she did it purposely then that implies she knew the person which would make it even more memorable.Unless you're saying she purposely touched a stranger's hand in the middle of a dance.

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

Yes im saying Rosie touched a complete strangers hand for about 0.25 of a second during a Legs & Co dance on TOTPs. The footage is plain to see. This wasn't planned, it just happened. Im sure the experience didn't affect her life and she forgot about it 2 seconds later. For her to recall the moment from memory 35 years later is completely ridiculous, and all she had to go on when i asked her recently was the grainy footage, which wasn't much help. Now we have high def footage, its there for all to see.

It looks like on your TV/computer screen Glenn that you cant see this, or refuse to believe it occurred. Thats fine, thats your choice. I can see it on my screen and im pretty chuffed i spotted this yonks ago. From everyones silence, im assuming they will be in your camp on this, but nothing will dissuade me from what i can see.

To many this is a trivial matter, but to Legs & Co fans like me and Glenn, small things of this nature are a talking point and need to be discussed.

Re: OFF THE WALL [December]

Gorgeous Daze
Very very hard to call for me. She could have made contact or it could be she was damn near and it was a kind of spontaneous tease.