OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

Gorgeous Daze
In an eclectic year of OFTD Meet-ups I'm pleased to announce that the final one of 2018 will take place back in the town of Stourbridge in the West Midlands, from noon onwards on Saturday 3rd November.

Rail access to Stourbridge Junction is good with plentiful trains on the Birmingham Moor St to Worcester line, then at ten minute intervals a shuttle service makes the three-minute journey from Stourbridge Junction to Stourbridge Town station, which is just a few minutes walk from the meeting place. Three or four pubs and a curry house, all in convenient walking distance, will be visited in the course of the day. Everyone welcome, feel free to join and leave the merriment as and when suits, any appearance will be well-received. Any member who'd like to come along who hasn't been to one of these socials before will soon find themselves in the easy flow of conversation and feeling part of the gang, as those before them can testify. Anyone interested can either reply here or send me an email and I'll give you further details.

Re: OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

Should go with a `bang` GD. Looking forward to it.

Re: OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

Everything'sRosie
I think I know my way to Stourbridge Junction by now

Re: OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

The Rubberband Man
Nice one GD
I was on last years’s Stourbridge get-together, and despite a light shower of rain, it was no damp squib. Stourbridge has some fabulous pubs, so I'm looking forward to much more of the same this year.
You can count me in.

Re: OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

Gorgeous Daze
A chart climber for any possible undecideds. Just two weeks now until the next Meet-up.

Re: OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

Hanway2
 If I can wrangle a day away from the missus, I would like to come too.

Re: OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

Gorgeous Daze
Hey that's good to hear Hanway. I do hope you'll be able to wrench yourself free. I'll be in touch with details of the meeting place.

Re: OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

Hanway2
 As a day away from Mrs. Hanway2 does not involve bullying cattle, I should have put wangle, of course.  Stourbridge is not too difficult to get to from London and looking at the fares, if I buy soon they are very reasonable.

All those going to Stourbridge I'll see you tomorrow. I've been unwell all week but I'm on the mend, so it'll be good to get out of the house. I take it we're meeting up in the same pub as last year, GD?

Re: OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

The Rubberband Man
Everything'sRosie wrote
All those going to Stourbridge I'll see you tomorrow. I've been unwell all week but I'm on the mend, so it'll be good to get out of the house. I take it we're meeting up in the same pub as last year, GD?
Sorry to hear you've been ill ER. Hope you'refeeling much better now.
Looking forward to the Meet and seeing you and everyone else who's coming along

Re: OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

Hanway2
 Have a great day all those that are going to Stourbridge tomorrow. It looks like a very good turnout of members.
I am very sorry that I will not be able to attend. Particularly disappointing because I am off work tomorrow and Sunday. Hopefully another meeting can be arranged in the Midlands soon and I will do my very best to come.
Have a very special  day and enjoy your meal. I will be thinking of you all enviously.

Re: OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

CoffeeThing
Have a wonderful day all.

Re: OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

AC/PD
Yes, have an enjoyable day, fellas, in the company of Bass amongst others.

Re: OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

Gorgeous Daze
Thanks for the good wishes chaps.

Glad to report that everyone seemed to find it a most enjoyable day. We visited four pubs, all purveyors of good ale and places of a good traditional atmosphere. And then the Indian restaurant really went the extra mile to provide a stunning benchmark experience that will be very difficult to beat. We finished back where we started and returned to The Talbot, a kind of OFTD homecoming.

As usual the chat was non-stop, the usual blast! Thanks all for journeying to the West Midlands once again at this chilly time of year.

Another splendid day with excellent company. I was a little under the weather but a dose of tablets and plenty of good-humoured chat made me forget my poorly state throughout. Thanks to GD for organising this, and what can I say about that curry! Something else. I've rarely felt so pampered. Top day.

Re: OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

The Rubberband Man
A superb day yesterday in Stourbridge, expertly hosted by local pub guide GD.

Much on topic discussions throughout the day around our favourite subject, including why did “Harvest For The World” not reap more points? (Ruth makes a cameo appearance in it for goodness sake), are the Legs & Co dances routines from 1981 better than everyone thinks they are?, and does Gill really change her earrings for the last few seconds of a routine?

Stourbridge has some fantastic pubs, and GD left the best till last. A pub with a whole bar dedicated to the sale of cider, including the pinnacle of all -  Scottish cider whisky on draft.

Great to see everyone, and thanks again to GD.

Re: OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

Yes i will echo the thoughts of the other attendees. That was one hell of a weekend. `The Big Ten` to GD for organising. Big ten for the superb real ale pubs with every pint that went down also worth the maximum too. But what about that curry house, talk about attention to detail. Ive frequented many such establishments in my time but never one as `par excellence' as that. Just when we thought the bill was coming instead they turn up with free ice cream and a free shot of Baileys to finish off. Even when the bill did turn up it was far gentler on the wallet than what we thought. The big, no the gigantic 11 out 10 for that.

Roll on Kal on Dec the 8th for the next meet.

Re: OFTD Fireworks Season Meet-up - Stourbridge 3rd November 2018

But what about that curry house, talk about attention to detail. Ive frequented many such establishments in my time but never one as `par excellence' as that. Just when we thought the bill was coming instead they turn up with free ice cream and a free shot of Baileys to finish off.
And even then with the last kick of extra time came not one, but two types of chocolates! It was all in all astonishing value in the most stylish of settings.

Really gratifying to read all the enthusiastic comments. Thanks guys.
Steve