OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015 (Places all gone for this)

Lovely Pauline talking to some of the guys pre-event.

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015 (Places all gone for this)

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015 (Places all gone for this)

Great pics Ryan and I trust PD's blood pressure has settled down a bit today   I'm also waiting for the arm-wrestling pic to surface

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015 (Places all gone for this)

Thanks to all my invited guests yesterday who attended. I know traveling to the event was a real trek for some of you. Sorry also for OGW who had to pull out due to sickness. Thanks also to my son for providing all the technical assistance, though he wont be reading this. Pauline bless her was talking to him about Legs & Co etc and he politely took it all in, though it probably went out the other ear !

Waiting for Pauline & Mike to arrive was a little bit nerve jangling for me but clearly i need not have worried. From the very moment i met them at the main entrance they conveyed such warmth and friendliness. We stood there for a couple of minutes the three of us chatting in full view of most of the assembled guests, who were 15 yards away chatting among themselves. None of them had noticed that a Legs & Co dancer was infront of there eyes, this i must say was quite amusing. So we then walked towards them and still no one clicked on, so much so that i had to announce the arrival of her.

The collective jaw dropping moment then happened and the huge surprise kicked in. What impressed me most was how Pauline spent time with each of us, and answered our many questions. Thinking back now, i wished id have shelved or delayed some of the clips so we could have all spent more time maybe in a big group talking to her. But they stayed for over 3 hours, which was brilliant for us. Also thanks to Pauline for providing the signed pictures for everybody who attended.

The other nice surprise, that even i didn't know about was organized by Mike who set up Sue on the loud speaker on his phone. Sue did her best to speak to each of us individually which was really nice of her and it all came through very clearly. So thanks Mike for that.

We stayed at the event venue till 8pm and then headed off to the best real ale house in Derby where the evening was spent discussing what a great day it had been. Come midnight we were the last in there so we headed off, per chance to dream of future glories, of which im sure will happen.

So thats it, weeks of planning and worrying for me are over. The whole thing went like clock work. Thanks once again friends, it was a day to remember.

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015 (Places all gone for this)

Chris
Thanks for a great event Ryan - shame I arrived late and had to dash just before the end, but enjoyed the day muchly.
Fantastic surprise guest - Pauline and Mike were wonderfully friendly and nice to hear Sue on the phone (even though I'm something of a 'group outsider').
Top people, top footage, top hospitality.

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015 (Places all gone for this)

bucksby
Really pleased you all had a great time. I sort of guessed one of the ladies would attend (thought it may have been Sue) Shame I couldn't come but relying on other people is never recommended!

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015 (Places all gone for this)

Dancer
Many many thanks Ryan for such a wonderful occasion.  It was beautiful but most of all memorable.  All of the recordings were fantastic to watch and I have been playing all my oldies today to remind me.  Thank you also to your son who dealt with the technicalities and who gave up a lovely weekend day too.  Many thanks Ryan for the surprise of the beautiful Pauline.  I was completely shocked when you brought her to the foyer/bar.  It was such a beautiful surprise and also to her husband who organised the extra surprise with the conference call with Sue.  I was completely spellbound.  Thank you both for the photos too and to Pauline for spending time with me answering the copious questions I threw at her.

Finally I would like to say a thank you for the fellow attendees.  It was lovely talking to you all and I hope we keep in touch via here or other electronic means.  You were all so welcoming and friendly and I really wished I had stayed with you to discuss other dances but as Derby was new to me (and what a beautiful, clean area it was), I wanted to get home.

But once again one big thank you Ryan.  You did not know how revitalised I felt watching all that lovely nostalgia.  Give yourself one pat on the back for organising something so fantabulosa.  Keep in touch all of you.  Kind regards.  Michael.  x

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015 (Places all gone for this)

saintsray
Just got my first brief accesss to a PC since I saw most of you in Derby.

Firstly HUGE thanks Ryan.

What an amazing event!

Without doubt, one of the highlights of this year or any year for me!

The video shows were excellent, with much I hadn't seen, the food was superb, and the room was wonderful and everyone was friendly (always a bonus!!!!)

Pauline attending was wonderful, and as you said, the fact she answered questions untiringly and spoke to us all was brilliant.

Then Sue phoning us was astounding, as if I hadn't been surprised enough already!
She was also friendly and polite and engaging.

The first time my nerve has gone on me - bear in mind I've met a fairly large number of recording artists and celebs over the years, and this is the first time I have been speechless! (which I am aware makes a change....)

I would also like to give a huge thank you to Mikey who it turns out, lives only a few miles away from me, and gave me a lift home!

Once again Ryan, huge massive thanks, and please reserve me a place for next year. If it's a quarter as good it'll be worth going to! :)

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015 (Places all gone for this)

BeautifulBabs
Hi yes Iit was great feels a bit surreal as I'm in Prague now.. Maybe Pauline for pm should be  another forum name.

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015

What a great day from start to finish, that because of Ryan's wonderful organized event. Three cheers to our good friend Ryan and his son. And what a secret and a great surprise to all of us in the foyer. Most of our members and my jaw must have fallen on that carpeted floor. When my brain clicked who the lady in yellow was with you Ryan. It was so exciting to have one of our ladies at our event. And Pauline and her husband Mike were fantastic and friendly. And Pauline talked to everybody a true star. And for one person my friend PD he must have thougth heaven had come callling. And thank for sorting out the picture, not technically minded. Then when mike got Sue on the phone, just brilliant to hear from her.Then she said hello to me, I nearly fainted. It was also nice to meet the new member, like The Rubberband man, Dancer and L&C4me and old member as well. And I had a great time in the Pub with Ryan, PD, Doc, YMG, GD and SF. And I could have talk about girls all night, Just a great ending to a great day. So thanks to Pauline and Sue who join us truely great stars for me.

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015

PattiforPM
Excellent Avatar I must say SFE

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015

sueforever
Thanks PattiforPM, PD helped out on saturday. And "star" is great routine.

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015

Suefan
Yes indeed SFE, great choice!

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015

Mikey
Yes, just to re-iterate what everyone has already said, another great event with an even bigger turn out than last year, and of course our special guests. The hours sure flew by. Well done Ryan, and big thanks.

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks for the recap and the photographs. It sounds as though it was an amazing day. It was very nice of Pauline and Mike to give up their time and also Sue of course.  Ryan deserves an enormous amount of credit and gratitude for putting it all together, although he has set himself a tough job to try and top it next year!

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
Let me just echo everybody else...

- Many thanks to Ryan for such a well planned, well-executed event.
- Thanks to Pauline and Mike for their warmth and generosity.
- Thanks to everyone else for making the event such a happy one
- Thanks to Sue for the surpass phone call: such a surprise that I very nearly missed it!
- Thanks to the Brunswick Inn for the excellent beer.
- Thanks to the hotel bar for accommodating Me, PD and Doc until the wee small hours.

What a great day!

YMG

You've all done vey well!

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015

AC/PD
As George Formby said, "Turned out nice again" or to quote Derek Trotter's reaction to becoming a millionaire, "Well, we've 'ad worse days, I suppose".
The 2nd OFTD AGM weren't 'alf bad. It was superb from beginning to end, and that includes this years buffet too.
Good people all round, brought together through common ground and appreciation, all thanks to Ryan's kind, vastly successful and much appreciated carefully planned tribute event, dampened only by the inevitable passage of time - if only it could be arrested.
Very pleasing to see a trio of happy and gay debutants in attendance - The Rubberband Man who knows all about 'The Lu', latest recruit to the Patti Platoon 'L&C4me' and OFTD's very own Wayne Sleep 'Dancer', all of whom were bowled over by the positive vibe, the rare material, the hospitality and the knockout surprises.
Around a quarter to one, Suefan was explaining to me the art of taking a successful penalty kick when he broke off mid-sentence, severely distracted...
Glancing behind, there she was - three-dimensional Pauline. Thanks to the respectable decency and genuine appreciation emitted through the ultimate dance troupe website, Ryan had managed to achieve the ultimate coup of inviting a bona fide, actual dancer to appear in the flesh, and what finely tanned flesh - the evidence of a recent sailing vacation on the sunniest of European seas - it was too. So grounded, so earthy, so unassuming, the immensely likable Pauline made as low key an entrance as she possibly could, given the circumstances of who she is and the lemon-coloured shirt, alongside husband Mike wearing a tan some shades lighter.
If the experience felt by the mingling couple was half as good as that received by the OFTD members (insiders and not so insiders) then Pauline and Mike will have had a fully worthwhile and brilliant time.
Thanks to The Rubberband Man and Saintsray for their easy acceptance at being (pre-event) turfed out of the seat to Pauline's right but, I'm sorry...duty called and thankfully violence wasn't required as a last resort.
Ryan's rejigging of the schedule, with the Legs & Co. section swapped from last to first was made due to the fact that the Special Guests were looking to be away by four due to a prior evening engagement with friends involving dinner and centred around the England v Wales Rugby match. One-to-one conversation with Pauline during the showing of The Stylistics 'You'll Never Get To Heaven' was based around her description of the 39 years younger version of herself as looking like "Butter wouldn't melt". Ahh, but that was then! Bowie's Sound & Vision revolved around the suggestion of whether the reason the Burmese doll sitting atop a box practicing yoga (or directing traffic) was a meditational means to attaining a higher spiritual plain. As for the first lips close-up: one thought of Patti, the other plumped for Rosie. The sight of Lulu as an unsteady baby giraffe possessing polar opposite legs in the Jazz Carnival Jim'll Fix It sequence raised the query of whether Pauline could ever perform the splits. 'No.Well, sort of...' was the honest reply. Present day Pauline revealed that one of her Daughters, familiar with the material, comments upon how 'posh' the Blue Peter Pauline sounds when chatting to presenter Tina Heath about how long the troupe would usually have to practice and rehearse dance routines. Pauline was in agreement that her pronunciation of the word 'live' - as in 'live audience' - brought with it the sound of an accent from the East - the East-End. Pauline's recollection of the Schlagerfestival 1927 'Blue Skies' routine was that it was filmed in Hamburg, possibly for a turn-of-the-year show because the Germans are big on New Year celebrations. However, after telling her the show was broadcast in September 1977 (I was out by a month, Vin), Pauline recalled filming took place in the July of that year because she remembered tasting schnapps for the first time in her life out there, in celebration of her 25th birthday.
Throughout the Legs & Co. section, husband Mike was spotted glancing down at his mobile on a couple of brief occasions and once the first intermission occurred, all was revealed. The Surprise Guests brought with them a surprise of their own in the form of a message from Sue - not a pre-recorded one in the style of absent This Is Your Live guests ("Hello Eamonn, I'm sorry I can't be with you tonight...") but live on loud-speaker. The room stopped as Sue, after a couple of false starts, came through loud and clear, individually addressing those for whom she is a favourite 'Leg' and receiving replies through a couple of shocked, sunny smiles in return. Sueforever was lost for words and at one point Sue jocularly berated the room for going all quiet on her! She asked if Mike was behaving himself (he was, with impeccable manners) and sought verification form Pauline that we were treating her well. Fortunately, we were, allowing a positive response from Pauline culminating in the line, "Sue, you don't know what you're missing!" Fine camaraderie indeed.
Then it was back to the rare material and, with time seeming to fly by, the clock ticked round to departure time. Such was the draw, lure and interaction, a 'Thank You' speech from Pauline to the happy campers flowed seamlessly into even more room conversation and it was nigh on 4:15 at the time of Pauline & Mike's exit.
Post departure, both on individual occasions, two attendees passing complimentary comments on Pauline's physical appearance (she's in good nick) asked me how old she was. Both gave the exact same answer to the question of "How old do you reckon?", giving an answer five years out -  the 'right' side of five years out. One which would revoke the bus pass.
It's difficult to express the immeasurable amount of gratitude, appreciation and adulation heaped upon Pauline, but no matter how vast, the unquantifiable level of praise emanating from all those lucky enough to be in her company on Saturday 26th September 2015 would never be sufficient. As for superlatives, if Pauline had a pound for each and every one sent in her direction, her fortune would be vast (and I'd be skint).
To damn with faint praise, she's alright. Pauline - thank you. If you could bottle positive energy and sell it on, with the amount you cause, create and generate you'd never have to teach a dance class ever again.
Never mind Dancer Of The Day, how about Day Of The Year?
DOTY: Saturday, 26th September 2015

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015

Gorgeous Daze
A superb review of proceedings, PD. Capturing perfectly one man's dream and everyone's delight and conviviality. I would say stunning but that wouldn't be quite correct as it isn't completely unexpected coming from you.

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015

Yes absolutely, ive gone so far as to email PD to congratulate him on such a superb review of the day. So pleased he got to meet his favourite.

Re: OFTDs - Event / meet-up 2015

PattiforPM
Is the name PDfan taken?