*** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

*** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

As most gatherings and Kal events are in the midlands, it is intended to hold a Summer event down in the deepest south at Brighton on Sat 30th June. The likely format is to visit a number of hostelries from lunchtime until late, traveling from station to the sea and back. Brighton has a huge number of pubs around the city centre!
I’ve put this up as an early warning to allow for booking of cheaper train tickets etc. Further details will follow closer to the day.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Yes Doc, im up for a trip to the sea-side. Just as a matter of interest, are train tickets cheaper if you book them early ? Ive never booked train tickets with a 4 month waiting time before.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

AC/PD
National Rail currently goes no further than 21st May.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Everything'sRosie
Hi Doc

While sitting here shivering, a warm June day in Brighton sounds very appealing to me right now. I've visited your excellent city on a couple of occasions and have always been impressed, there is no finer promenade in all England imho. So I will do my best to attend.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Doc
One of the possible stopping points!

It's got a bit more colourful since I last visited.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

BeautifulBabs
not excuse for me not to come !

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Doc
None at all!

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

I would like to come to this if I may. I cannot be certain yet that I will be able to, because of work commitments but all being well I would like to get to Brighton. As a new member I am not sure of the protocols and what may happen at these events,. But if you allow me I would like to be there that day.
Are you a friendly bunch?

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Doc
Hanway2 wrote
As a new member I am not sure of the protocols
Buying a round is usually enough.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Hanway2 wrote
I would like to come to this if I may. I cannot be certain yet that I will be able to, because of work commitments but all being well I would like to get to Brighton. As a new member I am not sure of the protocols and what may happen at these events,. But if you allow me I would like to be there that day.
Are you a friendly bunch?
An annual OFTD Event has been held in Derby where we watch videos that aren't publicly available and there's a buffet. Invite to that, though informal, is by prior arrangement. However, a meet-up like this one, which we nowadays have a few times a year in different places, simply involves a social get-together at the pub/s selected by a local member 'in the know', not uncommonly ending in a visit to an Indian restaurant for those hungry for it and able to stay long enough. Naturally, a good deal of the conversation revolves around the TOTP dancers and the forum. All you basically need to do with these meet-ups is contact the thread starter for the location of the meeting place and hopefully just turn up on the day.

We are indeed a friendly bunch Hanway! You will find yourself quickly welcomed into the fold as others would testify.

Hi Hanway. I've been on the forum nearly 2 years and have met up with the guys a number of times. I can say without reservation you will be made most welcome.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Hanway2 wrote
Are you a friendly bunch?
Undoubtedly, Hanway2.
All encounters have been pretty largely similar to a physical manifestation of this site and are just as described in the three replies above.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Hanway2
It all sounds very good. Thank you for being so welcoming. I do hope that I will be able to come after all this. I haven’t been to  Brighton for a drink in a long time.
And, hopefully, I will get to a Derby event sometime too.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up NO DATE Brighton ***

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up NO DATE Brighton ***

Doc
I’ve been told that it was decided at the weekend that the date chosen is unacceptable and you want to hold it on 21st July. Unfortunately I’m returning from holiday on that day, so we have now reached a stalemate.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up NO DATE Brighton ***

Doc wrote
I’ve been told that it was decided at the weekend that the date chosen is unacceptable and you want to hold it on 21st July. Unfortunately I’m returning from holiday on that day, so we have now reached a stalemate.
Yep okay, i accept the 21st of July is no good for you, nor the previous Saturday the 14th as you've explained. There are two reasons the 30th of June is not ideal for me and other Midlanders is that its only 4 weeks after June Kal. With the Brighton meet being on the 30th June, that would then mean a 9 week wait until we met up again at September Kal. Thats not really ideal.

The other reason is that Midlanders cannot really be expected to make two trips to the south over the summer months to Brighton and to Islington. The cost of travel, accommodation, food, drink etc would be to much. So one of those trips would have to be discarded for 2018. Talking to AC/PD our usual Islington host on Saturday, he appears to be quite flexible about Islington this summer and understands about the cost element etc. So this does free-up the Brighton trip.

However, after giving this loads of thought during today, ive now decided make the Brighton trip afterall on the 30th. Im hopeful we can sneak in a crafty Digbeth trip at the end of July which will make the 9 week wait more conducive. Im not so sure if the other Midlanders can make Brighton though on the 30th. It would be helpful if folk could make their availability known, just to give us an idea who can travel.

I do hope some of our southern based members make it to the Brighton jaunt. Might just be me and you though Doc !!

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up NO DATE Brighton ***

Gorgeous Daze
I'm sure that Brighton in summer will make for a fine day out and I'd like to be there, but owing to the cost put me down much more as a possible than a probable.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up NO DATE Brighton ***

The Rubberband Man
A Summer OFTD Meet-Up by the seaside is a very inviting prospect, especially as I’ve never been to Brighton before.
Unfortunately, there is major engineering work at Euston on the Sunday which will impact my journey home, and the shortage of train services is restricting the sale of cheap train tickets.
Putting everything together, the costs are just going to be too prohibitive, so I’ll send my apologies now, and wish those that are lucky enough to go a fabulous day.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up NO DATE Brighton ***

The Travelodges are all booked up and there doesn't appear to be a Premier Inn there. Accommodation in Brighton is very expensive and a big saving can normally be made by staying 10-20 miles away from the town, Crawley/Gatwick area tends to be good value and has a frequent and late train service from the town. Worthing and Eastbourne are also a lot cheaper if you want to stay on the coast (and Worthing has an all night hourly bus service from Brighton).
Last trains: London 00:04, Gatwick 00:04, Eastbourne 23:32, Worthing 00:04

Day trips are feasible for cost saving and the new faster service from St Pancras to Brighton will be running by then.
A quick check on the National Rail site says leaving Birmingham at 08:50 arriving at 12:01 and departing at 19:48 and arriving at 23:25 costs £78.80. Similar timings to what I do when I go the Kal events in Birmingham.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up NO DATE Brighton ***

AC/PD
My belief is that having a gap of a month at least between get-togethers of any kind (Kal included) is 'fair dinkum' because of the cost effective savings on expenditure and in order to maintain maximum talkativeness which up until now has always maintained an optimum level of 100% (any seconds of silence are rare to non-existent).
With a Summer Event of 30th June (which makes the cut if squashed), or thereabouts. penned into the 2018 OFTD's Diary, my recent thought which was expressed on Saturday has been that when taking into consideration the geographical location of the majority of regular attendees, to make two trips from North of Watford into and through London over the Summer months would leave a sizable dent in bank accounts would be unfair, so with a Brighton trip as the priority, the London trip should be put back to a later date - possibly/probably 2019.
1234