*** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Hanway2
Thank you to Ryan, Jamie and Trevor for a most enjoyable evening, good to be able to talk to some people who understand one of my great interests in life these day!
And also my thanks to the lovely Sue the Magician who kept us entertained on the train home.  ( You will have to ask Jamie more about that )!

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Doc wrote
Finished! 8 pubs ticked off,
Respect! A bit much even for me.  With the location and the weather added in you all must have had quite a time of it.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

AC/PD
The walk to get to each hostelry helped! As did the mini-train ride.
Thank goodness for spaciousness, air con. and outside seating. Tour guide Doc had it all mapped out.
Very good of Ruth fan Hanway to make an appearance ...and for Sue the Magician to make a disappearance.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Gorgeous Daze
Which hostelry out of the Zoo-like field won POTD?

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Doc
Only took one picture and found that Nabble won't upload them if there is an underscore in the title, so gave up.
Here's the tour with pictures from the internet.

1. Prince Albert

2. The Basketmakers

3. King and Queen

Some scenery, The Dome is where Abba won the 74 Eurovision.

4. Pump House

A ride to the Marina

5. Intended to go to The Cricketers but Ryan couldn't get in the door so we went to The Black Bear on the left.

6.The Victory

7. The Quadrant

8. Lord Nelson

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Doc wrote
5. Intended to go to The Cricketers but Ryan couldn't get in the door so we went to The Black Bear on the left.
The reason the Cricketers was omitted was the wall of noise and throng of 20 somethings blocking the doorway. Im way to old for any of that.

Fantastic weekend though. I spent an enjoyable day on Friday soaking up the sun and visiting the sites of Brighton. As for Saturday, well our host Doc had it all planned. I was impressed he had the itinerary all typed out (including the mini-train ride). Always nice to meet-up with AC/PD and also to welcome Hanway to the fold.

Not sure if i will ever go to Brighton again, but the memory of these two wonderful days will always stay with me. Well worth the 200 mile train journey.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

The Rubberband Man
The train drivers not very friendly, is he?

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Looks an eclectic selection. Good to gauge that Brighton is another place where the pub scene is thriving in these days of unprecedented loss.

The substitute pub looks like a contender for world's narrowest from that photo!

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

PattiforPM
Yes I confess to thinking if Ryan couldn't get into the door of choice #1, how on Earth etc....

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

PattiforPM wrote
Yes I confess to thinking if Ryan couldn't get into the door of choice #1, how on Earth etc....
Yes i cant say im all that sure what Doc was trying to suggest. Whilst i do not confess to being 12 stone anymore, i can still fit through doorways, especially pub doorways. Though when they are full of beer swilling Millennials with crappy modern music blaring out, i tend to not bother.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
Looks like you choose the best weekend of the year for a meed-up in terms of weather.

Sounds like it all went swimmingly.
You've all done vey well!

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

The Rubberband Man wrote
The train drivers not very friendly, is he?
V for Volks.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

The lower level is much large than the others. The pub looks old, but was built 44 years ago as a copy of The Black Lion Brewery, some of the original 16th century material was used in the reconstruction.

Of course Ryan's door failure was a reaction to a pub full of kids. The 'crappy modern music' was actually the football commentary on full volume. Both pubs emptied out after the game finished, but the threat of a band setting up moved us on fairly quickly.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Which hostelry out of the Zoo-like field won POTD?
Quite close, the 3 below are ones that I will head towards when in the town.

The Basketmakers has a good selection of beers and has quite a bit of character, with the walls covered in various items including tobacco tins that locals leave messages in. The only downside on the day was a fat bloke with a ridiculously loud laugh!

The Pump House is located in a nice part of The Laines and has no traffic near it. It has many areas that take a bit of finding making it ideal for avoiding people. Decent beer.

The Lord Nelson is owned by The Harvey's Brewery and has the complete range of their beers on sale and when you've lost count of how many thousands of pints of their beer you've drunk it's always worth a visit. Lots of memorabilia of the local football team adds to the atmosphere.

Here's The Metros' view. Interestingly 3 of the pubs on their list would have appeared on mine had their been more time.
https://metro.co.uk/2015/04/16/15-of-brightons-best-boozers-5151907/

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Doc
An image to show the choice of pubs. The station's at the top, the pier at the bottom.

Re: *** OFTDs Summer meet up Sat 30 June Brighton ***

Gorgeous Daze
Positively peppered and your POTD selections sound like my kinda places. Perhaps those Greens have more sense than I give them credit for.