OFTDs quiz - Sun 13th October - `six letter word treble chance` take 2.

OFTDs quiz - Sun 13th October - `six letter word treble chance` take 2.

Its that time again (the first Sunday of the month) when we do the OFTDs quiz. Ive grown a bit tired of the mystery year format and for October and November i'm going to try a couple of new quiz ideas to freshen things up a bit. I will however do the 1979 Treble chance quiz on the first Sunday in December.

Sunday 6th October and it commences at 9pm and ends at 10pm. A fresh set of pics every 3 minutes, 21 sets in all.

So what exactly is `Six-Letter words` Treble chance ?

On each round you are basically required to make a single six-letter word from clues contained in the collage. I think the easiest way for me to explain is to post a sample collage and explain from there.

What do you have to do ?

You will see three rows, each row contains a single picture. The top row (left to right) will contain a picture of music person, the middle row will contain the picture of a TOTP dance routine and the bottom row will contain the picture of famous face from back in the day.

Your task is to take the initials of one of pictures in the row and then make a six-letter word using the initials in the correct position.

So lets take the sample collage above. The top row in this instance is a picture of `Gary Numan`. That six-letter word must end in GN, as per the initials. So the word would have to look like this ****GN. Here are 3 examples - Design, Resign, Assign.

Because you are being asked to use the last 2 letters, that word is worth 2 points.
As for the middle row, the dance routine is `Jeans On`. That six letter word must begin with the letters JO, as per the initials. So the word would have to look like this JO****. Here are 3 examples - Jostle, Joyful, Jockey.

Because its easier to make a word with the first two letters, that row is only worth a single point.
As for the bottom row, the picture is of `Ray Reardon`. That six-letter word must have the letters RR as its 3rd & 4th letters. So the word would have to look like this **RR**. Here are 3 examples - Furrow, Mirror, Carrot.

Because you are being asked to use 3rd & 4th letters of the word, that row is worth 3 points.

How to score points and playing regulations

Players can only go for one word per round.

Three/two or one points/s are awarded for every permitted word submitted. So there is no need to rush to be the first to submit a word. If for example 4 players each submitted 4 different words on the 3 point row, then all four players would score three points.

The only caveat to that is if someone else repeats a word already used in that round. In that instance only a single point is awarded to that player.

Each round is different, sometimes its the dance routine that will be the final two letters of a word or the music person could be first two letters and so on and so forth.

Edited and updated posts will be discounted from points, so please do not edit posts.

All the pictures will be of well known people. All the dance routine pics are from TOTPs and contain two words.

On-Line crossword solvers !

Yep, by using one of those the words will be easy to solve. All i can do is ask players not to succumb to using them. If you do then you will be cheating. Try to use a bit of brain power, work the old grey matter.

Any questions ?

 If anyone is unsure on any of the above, then please ask on here. Ive posted this a lot earlier so folk can absorb the rules. Once the quiz is underway it will become very easy to play.

This will be a one-off quiz, something else new for November.

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

CoffeeThing
Very nice idea. I shall do my best to get my stupid self  to remember the time and be there.
This week, I are be mostly just being.

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

Old Grey Whistler
An interesting concept. I reckon GD will be favourite to win this because he knows more words than anyone else!

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

PattiforPM
Sorry I will have to miss this with my phone on flight mode and in too old a plane to have Internet unless I'm really lucky

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

Old Grey Whistler
P4PM in flight

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

 A different concept and approach is always worth a try, so I hope this effort will be considered successful.
 I am not too sure whether I will be able to be involved this month though, because of my work roster.

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

Michael
Hello Ryan

This looks like a lot of fun, and a enjoyable challenge too. Sad thing is, though, I might not be able to partake, but fingers crossed I can duck in for ten minutes...

By the way, I'm really pleased that you haven't permanently shelved the 1979 quiz. Like you, I feel there was something special, even magical about that year.

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

Gee, i do hope i get some players taking part.

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

Everything'sRosie
I'll be taking part. It will be quite a test of vocabulary.

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

      Message to Gorgeous Daze.
  At 20.45 on Sunday 6th October 2019, a small elderly gentleman in old fashioned clothing will knock on your door. Although aged and diminutive, you would be advised to do as he tells you. This man is one of the original Peaky Blinders. Now over a 100 years old, and of seemingly slight stature, he has lost none of the techniques and abilities for which he was feared in the 1920s.
  He will advise you to turn off all Social Media devices between the hours of 09.00 and 10.00 p.m on that very day. He will wait with you to make sure you comply with his demands. You may find other means to amuse yourself throughout that aforementioned hour, none of which may be electronic in nature. At 10.00 p.m you will be at liberty to restart any devices of your choosing, and he will depart from your residence.
  If you refuse to co-operate with this man in any way you must accept the consequences. If you decide to be away from home at the stated day and hour, you will be well advised to leave the country, leaving no forwarding address to which you may be traced.
  Mr. 'Peaky Blinder' has lived a long and honourable life, and does not wish you to provoke him into something you may regret.
  After he has departed you may return to your full and florid existence as normal, and must say nothing about his visit to friend, family or foe.
   Signed-  A well-wisher.

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

Sorry Ryan, but I'll be unable to make this on Sunday as I won't be near an internet connection.
Big disappointment for me as this week's looks like it'll be a lot of fun.
Good luck to everyone who can take part.

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

Funnily enough my ancestors did actually live among the real Peaky Blinders in Birmingham including on their Digbeth patch, when they were at their genuine peak in the late Victorian era rather than the 1920s and 30s as depicted in the show. Probably helps explain why they got out!

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

I will check the green light situation at 9PM to see if this thing is worth doing, if there is say 5+, then i will go ahead with it. So the quiz will be running around 3 minutes late if it gets the `green light` so to speak, beginning at 9.03.

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

  Living in the West Midlands as you do, GD, I thought you might know more of thre real history of the Peaky Blinders than is shown on the Television programme. Yes, late 19th early 20th centuries for sure.

  And I am sorry that I will not be able to take part this month, as I will be getting ready for work before the hour is finished. But good luck for the new format, Ryan. And good luck to all the competitors, have a great time. Will the new format throw up an unexpected winner, perhaps?

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

Hanway2 wrote
 But good luck for the new format, Ryan.
Its not a new format as such, more of a one-off format for this month only.

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

Hello everyone I will have a go Ryan.

Hello all.

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

Old Grey Whistler
Hello

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

Well at this moment in time the green light situation isn't looking to good.

Re: OFTDs quiz - Sun 6th October - `Six-Letter words` Treble Chance.

Who's That Hurll
Good evening.