ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

ONCE IN A LIFETIME  Dance/performance number 247 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Talking Heads  reaching number 14 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  19/02/81  Duration of dance/performance 2.34 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue.

Pauline  227
Sue      226
Rosie    225
Patti     220
Gill        219
Lulu      216

I really like the band, this song and the promo video that was made for it, but i share no real love for this Legs & Co dance routine. Thats not to say i dont think its badly made or poorly performed, but the special effects are just a little to avant-garde for my taste. I like my routines easy on the eye with no hindrance. I guess it was only right though every now and again for the the VT department with the assistance of the choreographer to try out the new technical camera wizardry that was available in 1981, but for me the visual quality of this just's makes me `not` want to hit the play button again.

On saying that, i can appreciate the effort that went into producing this and i can see its a well crafted routine, so i suppose i wont be to hard when i come to score rate it. Things i do like in it are all the nodding, thats kinda cute. I also enjoy all the individual dance movements, when we are allowed to see them clearly that is and the costumes are also okay, love the head-wear.

Rating--`7 out of 10`, but im marking that for the work that went into it, as i get little enjoyment from watching it. Could be you guys feel differently about this routine and see it in a more positive light. Look forward to reading your views on it.

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

Gorgeous Daze
For the existential record Legs & Co become eggheads and plunge into the wide blue art-pop yonder of an American dystopia of the not-too-distant future. Sorry to say I don't share the enthusiasm of Tommy Vance and the non-royal we. Yes, it's an excellent production - congrats all round, this holds up against some of the better official promos of the time - but a matter of the Art is not necessarily a matter of the heart, and there's the rub. It's not simply that it's awash with effects, as I enjoy The Spirit Of Radio a lot. But that has warm pockets and joyful splashes whereas this leaves me cold: a case of life celebration v disintegration. Here it's a frosty tableau complete with moves that wouldn't be out of place on the polished surface of a Robin Cousins repertoire. They all have their own dance yet it seems all the same. Academically you might argue this projection serves as a metaphor for the illusion of individual freedom in the modern world, but OFTD isn't a pretentious seminar. The girls perform very well but what's the point when they're taking us on a spiritual road to nowhere? The costumes work insofar as embodying a new and clinical pursuit for badges of worldly success, but at a big aesthetic cost. Similarly the rat race has sucked the emotion from their faces, Gill's fear-ridden cheek-massaging forcefully upping the angst factor. Incongruous though it would have been I wish they had taken the Liberty of a friendly visage to reassure us that everything really is the same as it ever was on Planet Legs & Co. There is at least a positive hint from Sue and Lulu's big baby-face is cute enough to pinch gravitas notwithstanding, but where's Rosie's incorrigible sense of humour when we need it?

My response to those nods, is, reluctantly, a shake. Next!  6/10 Rationale and probability of repeat plays very similar to Ryan.  DOTD graceful Patti. Always favoured by ballet.

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

Old Bill
Hmmm, I suppose if I have to listen to this song once in a lifetime that's not too often. I don't like it, but I'd much rather have it accompanied by Legs rather than Byrne's pompous posturing. But enough of that, he's not here today.

It's so hard to follow GD's excellent summation. Especially now I've put the dictionary down :-) And of course he is spot on. This is a piece of quirky left-field art rather than a fun and bouncy pop-dance but it shows Flick's skills off superbly - and nice for Tommy to name check her too. We don't hear that often enough! The state-of-the-art look suits the song, although I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not.

Couple of bits made me smile. "Where is that large automobile?" it's behind you Gill!!
I love the little hint of a grin that Sue does during her "same as it ever as..." close-up. She knows we know she knows!

A great work of art, all very cleverly conceived and perfectly executed, so I feel a bit bad only going for a 6.5/10. And like GD I'll put Patti forward as DotD. Sue's & Lulu's super close close-ups are a dream! But with the overlays and effects and goodness knows what, what a lost opportunity!

Sadly, this is not my beautiful wife.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

PattiforPM
LOL, if you're married OB, you might want to stop off at the Florist on the way home

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

Old Bill

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

I've an inkling the ladies liked performing this one, but then again I may be wrong.  However, it isn't a favourite of mine so I'm only giving all that invention a 5.

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

Old Bill wrote
It's so hard to follow GD's excellent summation.
Even harder preceding it !

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

You may ask yourself, am I right or am I wrong?  Or am I even a Pseud? Well I'm not sure but I like this very much.  One thing I appreciate above almost any other feature of a performance is how well the choreography fits the music and this one is like hand in glove.  It reminds me of a mixture of Spirit in Radio (credit GD) and Tragedy in a way.  I know there are overlays and the focus is not always easy on the eye but this is Talking Heads we're dealing with and Byrne & Co are not always easy to swallow but are often worth chewing on in my opinion.  I think Flick got it exactly right and I do love some of the visuals here including the outfits, poses and seriousness.  I know it's not for everyone and I'm sure Flick and her Dancers would have realised this but I like to watch this and I'm giving it 9/10.  DotD is Patti, whose shapes are perfection and whose dark dark hair demands admiration bursting forth from the sterile pallor of her outfit.

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
For me this conjured the jarring, dysfunctional, dystopian images of Fritz Lang's epic Metropolis, and it was a welcome departure from what we have become used to. Because the dances cater for a mass audience they are at times a little one-dimensional, and this unusual routine shows what Flick Colby is capable of imagining - it also shows after recent bouts of Tai Chi and over-65 aerobics, that the dancers can do ballet if required.

That it is a routine which is heavily weighted towards ballet-style moves favours the better dancers, ie. Patti and Sue (poor Rosie looks a little gangly and awkward at times) but in terms of imagery Pauline and Gill absolutely nail it too.

DotD Gill, 8 out of 10
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

The Rubberband Man
The BBC’s pioneering visual effects team certainly showcased their work here. It’s Michael Kelt who takes the honours for this epic visualisation, and added the post production video overlays, posterizations, chromakeys and sweetenings to Flick Colby’s extremely well choreographed routine. It really is a fabulous piece of work, and is equal to any of the emerging promo videos that were being made around the same time.

This looks like it’s been a big team effort from everyone involved, and I’m going to decline a DotD nomination as I think the many who worked behind the camera have played just as big part in this as Legs & Co have.

It’s arty (not at all farty) and worthy of 8/10

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

BeautifulBabs
"It’s arty (not at all farty)" classic rbm !

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

I really like this track that our girls are performing to here, but I'm afraid the routine itself does nothing for me. In a way it reminds me of Sound and Vision four years earlier, all very sci fi and arty, where we seem to have a few engineers playing with their latest gadgets, with too many special effects and overlays.  It also reminds me of those weird TV shows that I remember seeing when I was younger, where you have actors performing in front of pop art style animations, which I never really liked. Having said that the girls look nice in their white outfits, and I like the frizzy hair too. As for the routine itself, it is something different, but I suppose every performance can't be everyone's cup of tea.

Rating 6/10

DOTD Gill, she looks beautiful in the close up we get of her.

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

PattiforPM
The reviews on here are really a good read nowadays, thanks everyone

       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6ddSA9lrkc

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

Old Bill
And will YMG now be suggesting the next Prime Minister?!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

VintageVideos
I love it. The best routine of 1981 so far. A bit reminiscent of "Spirit of Radio" of course, though not quite in the same class. Only Flick Colby could pull such a routine.

And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?

9 / 10
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

That's most probably the greatest screenie, that one could've captured from this performance.
This dance routine would be rather a decent one, but for the copious amounts of cross-fading, & I couldn't make out what the Inge was, that was butting into Legs & Co.'s dancing, it looked like a badge of some kind, anyways for the most parts, it really was difficult to figure out just what was happening on stage, but from what I could see, the ladies looked great in their space suits, floating about with zero gravitational forces.
I'd just rather have been able to see things a tad more clearly, that's all!

5/10

DotD:-

Patti

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

Angie
A great routine I think to an awkward but fantastic song.....I think Flick and the girls do a great job. Nice direction, effects and costumes.

7/10

DOTD: Lulu

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

In this routine we come to one of Flick's experiment in dance. All our six ladies are dressed in Sci-Fi costumes in white and helmets in white. That had come out of that flim of that Ray Bradbury book. All the ladies are doing separate movements repeated through out the routine. Then we have a vision mixers heaven of blue with rolling sea going up and down. Then we have our ladies in front of a American background, doing certain movements. We then get close- ups of our ladies. At one moment we get close-ups of Lulu and Sue nodding. You must say that it is a clever idea by Flick. But I wouldn't watch it alot, so it will after be a middling score for me.

The Dotd is very difficult for me, so I will go for my usual person Sue for her great nodding.

The score must be 6 out of 10.

Re: ONCE IN A LIFETIME [February]

PattiforPM
sueforever wrote