ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE  (version 1)  Dance/performance number 270 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Michael Jackson  reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  04/06/81  Duration of dance/performance 2.59 mins
Dancers--Anita, Gill, Lulu, Patti, Rosie, Sue.

Sue      249
Rosie    248
Patti     243
Gill        239
Lulu      239
Pauline  231
Anita        3

I'll be honest, i find these two Jacko routines (this being the first) a bit plain (i wont go as far as to say boring) and the track itself doesn't really help matters. Heaven knows how it topped the singles chart. Not a great deal i can say about this performance, so best deal with the positives. The dancers look quite lovely in their shiny dresses, and Rosie especially in the opening salvo. Quite a neat idea to introduce the dancers to the camera in stages, having them drift into shot. A rather unique routine in the fact that a dancer (Lulu) joins it at 2.10 mins, very late indeed and id say the latest ever a dancer has done so in any routine. I cant fault the actual dancing which is spot on as per usual, but to use one of our mate Dancer's favourite phrases, this doesn't tickle my pickle.

Rating- `6 out of 10`. Have i got this wrong, it could be you guys enjoy this. Don't just sit there, `have your say` on it.

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

Gorgeous Daze
Stonehenge was designed so that on just one special day of the year, the summer solstice, the sun rises above the outlying Heel Stone when viewed from the centre of the monument. And with wonderful alignment in 2016 that day is today. Just!  And here is said phenomenon. We have sunrise and a Heel Stone standing alone on the opposite side of the circle outside the trilithons. This, I believe, is the poetic interpretation of the 'One day' of realization. A day when a mist-shrouded Legs & Co build ceremoniously, awaiting dawn in the presence of a little boy singing a worldy-wise song. I'd willingly sacrifice him for a more credible voice, the song likewise. The outfits glisten in the morning rebirth and are appealing, though incongruous. Shaped as I am by weird seventies sci-fi I can't help feeling that the girls have been zapped there from a no-expenses-spared dinner date for deep spiritual cleansing.

It's such an imaginative conception on which to unfold the drama that it's especially disappointing that the dancing is dull with little dancer connection through the ley line for this viewer. I appreciate the idea of slowly accumulating Legs as the song does similar but it's so slow it was beginning to look like Anita had cried enough after just one routine. And as for Lulu, well OB had given up hope and gone before quite effectively she finally appeared to a choral key change. Can someone holler Lulululululululululululu across Salisbury Plain and bring him back?

With a beautiful moment of loving recollection in her solo Rosie is the Daughter of the Druids.

Set appeal raises it a notch and a half higher than it otherwise would have been.  6.5/10

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

I like this version slightly more than version 2 as I really think this is such a sweet routine for Legs. This routine will always be a classic for me.
Rating: 10/10
DOTD: Gill

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

With this first version of this routine. We start off with Rosie on a stage dancing on her own, with very smooth movements. A few seconds later she is joined by Sue, who does the same movements. Then a few seconds later joined by Patti and Gill. Who follows the movement of the two other ladies. We then get Anita joining in, and last of all Lulu. The ladies are like smooth machines through out the routine. The ladies are wearing the same costumes that they were for G. Benson routine. The one thing you can't falter these ladies.

Dotd must go to Rosie for starting it off.

The score must be 7 out of 10.

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

I would say this is gratuitous slow dance territory and although the ladies do their best it isn't much fun.  I think the slow emergence of dancers idea is interesting but ultimately too slow too and deprives the late arrivals of air time too much as others have suggested.  I certainly like the reappearance of the What's on Your Mind Kit and the ladies look divine but I think more could have been done here perhaps (although this drab song takes a significant measure of the blame).  5.5/10 DotD?  I find myself unsure who to vote for but Anita was very patient and I passed over her for the last vote so I'll give her this one instead (and I did like her anguished look)

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

PattiForPM wrote
 I certainly like the reappearance of the What's on Your Mind Kit
I always thought they were the same style dresses, but in differing colours. This could be down to studio lighting i guess.

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

Gorgeous Daze
I also think there are two sets of dresses. I would describe the What's On Your Mind ones as mauve and these as sky blue. As no doubt Jimmy Hill would have.

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

Whether the unusual set is straight from Wiltshire or owes something to a touch of the Green M I don't know but I'm not a fan.  Neither do I care for the misty/smoky setting nor those plastic looking dresses.  (I didn't care for them in What's On Your Mind and their appeal has not improved).  However, having said all that I like the gradual build up of the troop as reinforcements arrive, although we are perhaps a little too deep into injury time before Lulu gets the nod, and the choreography fit the song nicely.  So its a solid 7 with Rosie my Dotd.

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

Seems I'm specializing in retractions nowadays but seeing the two side by side I acknowledge the colours are different although the style seems identical.  I don't suppose you can spray-paint a dress

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

This has to be classic Legs & Co., it's what they were meant to be doing, giving us amazing views, & conveying a sophisticated image, & although I personally find the backing track, rather sorrowful, & doesn't exactly carry a feel-good factor, it's of the sort f style that these ladies can really work wonders with, bringing a great performance like this one that, really compensates!

DotD:-

Rosie

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Oh Rosie, I've been a bad, bad boy. Regularly voting for Gill and forgetting that you are my one, my only one :) I promise I will be faithful from now on!

 out of 10, DotD Rosie
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
They are the same dresses - the effect is simply that of the lighting.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

I will take some convincing that the dresses are the same in both routines, in other words the same colour, studio lighting or not.

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

A slow burning routine, this particular dance doesn't really kick into action until the instrumental break with the female choir matching the female dancers for effective and slightly emotive togetherness. That's not to say the introduction with Rosie pleasing taking centre stage and then being gradually joined by Sue and the others one by one. With the final appearance from Lulu less than 50 seconds from the end, the intros are just a little too staggered because by the time all six are on screen, we're more than two minutes into the song. It worked for Living On An Island though.
Attractive dresses in colour if not material, the reverse-worn scarves make for fine accessories with those worn by Rosie, Patti and Anita identical in hue to the costumes unlike the mauve ones sported by Sue, Gill and Lulu.
The dresses have a chameleonic nature about them which although not apparent here, was very much the case when worn in the What's On Your Mind routine by varying between mauve and, less often, the shade of blue seen here - a real trick of the light.
7/10
DOTD: Blue (not mauve)-eyed Rosie.

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

AC/PD
I was in the 'two dress' camp but having had another look at the What's On Your Mind routine, I think it's the effect of the front studio lighting which alters the hue and gives them a purple haze.
Taking a look at Patti and Gill in the shot below, the back halves look in that particular moment to be the blue as seen in the first version of One Day In Your Life.

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

PattiforPM
Good on you AC.  Do I have to retract my retraction?

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

Colm
"One Day in Your Life" is one of those songs which the older you get, the more finely you appreciate, and the first routine to this song is a delightful and breezy performance.

DotD: For a beautiful start, Rosie

Score: 8.5

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

Humble Pie for tea I think. No doubting the dresses turn bluey in AC's screen-cap and at various points in the video.

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

How come the neck wear, which is `not` shiny material and wont be effected by studio lighting is so obviously a mauve colour then on `Whats On Your Mind` ? If those dresses were blue in colour, then did they do that routine in blue shiny dresses with mauve coloured neckwear just so they would match with the studio lighting.

I appreciate AC's detective work, but im not ready yet to start munching humble pie just yet.

Re: ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE (version 1) [June]

PattiforPM
I think we need a referendum