ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- [January]

ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE  Dance/performance number 145 by Legs & Co
Performed by Funkadelic  reaching number 9 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 11/01/79 Duration of dance 2.27 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Rosie, Sue

Sue      130
Pauline 129
Patti     126
Rosie    125
Gill       122
Lulu      121
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26d6o9_legs-co-one-nation-under-a-groove-totp-tx-11-01-1979_creation

One of Legs & Co raunchier routines this, all decked out in khaki and army badges of some description. Our five NCOs (Cpl Peters is on leave) are put through their paces by Group Captain Colby. All though they are no, erm, Privates on view, we get lots of what can only be described has Crutch thrusts to camera. Every so often our cameramen seems transfixed by the lower/middle torsos of our dancers during routines, and this particular performance is a case in point. I guess if they are trouserless and the name of the group is Legs & Co, that this is fair game. But i still remain a little uncomfortable with such close up camera work. But hey, maybe im being a bit to much of a prude, because the routine itself is very watchable and the song, although not my kinda thing at all, aint to bad a sound. The girls are overtly sexual and i defy any red blooded male not to be transfixed.

For my rating, well its a `9 out of 10`.

DOTD, the girl who i salute and who almost had me standing to attention was `Sue`.

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

Paperboyplod
It's Pauline's turn to sit out the week's Legs & Co. dance routine, where the other dancers are all in Khaki dresses, & it looks rather smart, all matching with, the black belts.
There's some frantic dance moves, but copious amounts of cross-fading means, it's hard to tell just what's going on at times, & again the set's a non-entity, it's worth an occasional watch, but it's not greater than that to be brutally honest.

6/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

I have made no secret of my love for this superbly sexy visit to the parade ground of Legs & Co Special Forces.  Somehow the combination of a funky song and military apparel with all those long legs showing truly revs the engine.  I like some of the soft focus and overlays Flick endorsed and it adds to a dreamlike ending and gives us some variation.  Yes there is perhaps a bit of an excess of waist-down shots but it does not seem out of place in this Dance somehow.  I must just say right out that it seems to me that Sue and Patti are saying "Fall back Soldiers, we'll take this assault."   Lulu and Rosie are very much in the background in this Dance and Gill is front rank but less of a focal point by some distance I think.  Sue looks just utterly svelte and I love this hairstyle too.  Patti takes the Dance by the throat and will not let go and that belted shirt look is to die for.   It is almost impossible to choose between Sue and Patti here as they are both brilliant and I have often restarted watching this performance determined to look at only one of them only to get distracted by the other Dancer.  OK if I must it is Patti but if I had half votes this is where I'd use them.  Oh and easily 10/10

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

bucksby
not a massive fun of the track it was heavily sample by Ice cube for his 1994 Bop gun one nation hit. the girls look rather nice in their uniforms and Gill in particular looks really hot. The set and the camera work are a big let down though. 7 for the dance. dotd Gill

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

We come to the second routine of 79. We now have Sue back from her holidays with one of there raunchy routines. We have the five ladies, we are missing Pauline this week. They are wearing green khaki army shirts fasten with black belts, over leotards. That shows off there wonderful strong dancer legs. Most of the routine is shown from the bottom half of our ladies bodies. We see a lot of hip movements and what are known as pelvic thrusts. Turns this routine really raunchy and would turn any mans knees go weak.

The Dotd will after go to the two stand out dancers in this routine. And these were Sue and Patti, to great performances. But I must choose so I'll go with Sue. And that after she as come back from her holidays wow.

The score as to be 9 out of 10.

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

Lookmacinanger
Well it seems as if Legs and Co has been conscripted to do their duty with the object of this operation to place one nation under a groove but issued with a uniform that looks very good for dancing in.
They patrol their watch with vigilance while taking no prisoners and appearing ready to strike at any time and all this while grooving away to Funkadelic.

Legs and Co great start to 1979 continues unabated, Sue looks refreshed after her break and Gill still won’t conform to belt wearing regulations (Bad Girl), Rosie and Lulu seemed to be well camouflaged, so Private Hammond appears ready (or not) to put her head over the parapet and be my Dotd. 10/10

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

Andeebee
I'm gonna shock you lot by giving my score first, gotta shake things up a bit.

Scores on ADB's door: 10/10

Conscript of the day: Sue

As i mentioned on PD's review thread, i saw this bleary eyed, and nearly dropped my tea on the floor when i saw this, not my cuppa (no pun) music wise, but shut yourself off from that track and boy just watch those long legs, and those military shirts tied at the waist.  That's bout it.

Where do i sign up, I request a thorough medical, put through my paces on the assault course, and lined up for inspection by General Menhenick...
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue

Stu

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

Stu
It's hard to give top marks when my fave gal is missing but this is definitely up there with the best, very hot stuff, and how they manage kick their legs that high I'll never know. For me this week DOTD turned in to a Butlins-esque 'lovely legs' competition with Gill winning in what was a very competitive field.

9/10

DOTD - Gill

Stuey

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

Doc
I think this dance is a bit of a slow burner for me and I think the more I see it the more I'm going to like it, but at the moment I'll give it 8/10.
Dotd: Rosie and Lulu are hidden in the background for most of the dance, which is a shame. In the odd glimpse you got of Lulu she was certainly looking good. Most of the camera time was devoted to Sue, but I'm not complaining as it caught another quality performance. So I'm going for Sue.
Still living in 1979

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

Is that the sort of inspection where you get asked to cough
Still living in 1979

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

Andeebee
LOL one can but dream Doc (ahem cough ahem)

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

Well the ladies always seemed to hit the groove running and this is no exception.  Suffice to say, as KJ does, its stimulating stuff and gets a 10 from me with Sue, making best use of the costume just as when in the third world, for my Dotd.

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

VintageVideos

Do you promise to funk?
The whole funk, nothin' but the funk!

9 / 10

DotD: Officer Hammond
You are a genie
And all I ask for is your smile
Each time I rub the lamp

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

PattiforPM
Who needs medals when you look this good?

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

Colm
What a timeless and relentless tune. And I like Flick's leftfield (and theme-matching) choice of outfits.

Have to dock some points for Pauline's absence, the lack of camera time for Rosie and Lulu unfairly confined to back row duties, as well as the dodgy camerawork at times, but nevertheless...

Score: 8.5

DotD: Corporal G. Clark

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

AC/PD
Legs on Parade
A classic British Army strategy to win the battle : send Legs & Co. out into the field to strut their stuff and distract the enemy enough to switch from war to peace in a flash.
Super special manoevurs from all five fighters in fine fatigues, particularly those shirts even though Sue and Gill are non conformist, having one tied in a knot and the other completely unbuttoned.
Took a few views and listens to enjoy the funky track itself, but the pure dance itself pleases from the first showing onwards.
Not one for the anti vision-mixing faction but the overall look works well, particuarly with a simplistic background
Shame Private Pauline was AWOL for this one, but the story is that she absconded to meet up for a liason with Private When from the nearby Rugby division.

8/10
DOTD : Sgt. Sue

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

Mikey
Uh oh Legs and Co seem to have forgotten the lower half of their outfits, luckily for us they soldier on regardless hoping no one will notice. This track took a few listens to get into, i can see where bands like Outkast get their influences from, its lazy hazy vibes inspire a matching routine where hip thrusts and sexy shimmying are the order of the day. Nowt wrong with that of course. Not sure about all the head swooshing at the end and the vision mixer may have leant on the buttons too hard but as its still early days for '79 i'm none too fussed. Good routine.

8/10 DOTD Patti

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

Adorable Gillusion
7/10  DOTD...Gill

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

Old Bill
Oh dear... I think I might be going AWOL with this one. It just really do much for me.

The song is tedious to the extreme, but at least the funk-lite beat gives something for Flick and the girls to get stuck into. Except they don't really... lots of pelvis thrusts, high-kicks and the odd shimmy. Don't get me wrong - they do of course look fantastic. Very sexy it goes without saying, and who doesn't love a dancer in uniform?
But as piece of entertainment and compared with other Legs operations, this one leaves me army-fatigues a bit.

6.5/10 and Sue of DotD, mainly because she's at the front. Could have been Lulu or Gill if they were more prominent.

And.... stand easy!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: ONE NATION UNDER A GROOVE -- January

PattiforPM
You're obviously a Navy man OB.  I'm after that other girl on the Dance Floor again