ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 28/08/1975

One Of These Nights
Performed by Eagles and reaching number 23 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 28/08/1975 Duration of dance - 2.56 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI70wf0mF4I

Eagles basically started as Linda Ronstadt's backing band in 1971. When looking for a name the group decided to call themselves just "Eagles" instead of "The Eagles" (just like "Carpenters" had done a few years earlier). Their first album was recorded in 1972 (in England, as it happens) and became an instant success in the US. With their popularity increasing over the years, Eagles landed their first US No. 1 hit "Best Of My Love" in 1974, and the second just a few months later with a song called "One Of These Nights".

"One Of These Nights" was also the first Eagles single to crack the UK charts, even though it didn’t get any higher than No. 23. About a year later, Eagles would release the album "Their Greatest Hits 1971 – 1975" which still is the second-best selling album in music history, and the best selling greatest hits album of all times. After the release of "Hotel California", Eagles were accused of promoting Satanism (the same happened to Led Zeppelin and several other acts), which the group members have constantly denied.

Like many American artists, Eagles did not appear on TOTP to perform their records. So here we have Pan's People interpreting "One Of These Nights", and the resulting routine has proved to be a firm fan favourite for the past decades. That's hardly surprising as you can view five beautiful girls in tight jeans gyrating to the music. Nevertheless, I have to confess that this dance is not one of my personal favs. Not that it isn't good, there are simply many others I enjoy more. Yet the routine was named by a couple of our members as their personal Pan's People favourite and made No. 10 in last year's poll (on par with "Summer Breeze"). Besides it's popular on the YT channel with app. 2,400 views so I reckoned it would be a worthy inclusion in this month's special.

Once again, the copy on our YT channel is taken from UK Gold, as "EinsFestival" skipped this episode, but – like "Sugar Plum" – it has been tweaked to the max and dubbed with new audio and for that reason it should be the best copy on the net.

Rating: 9 / 10

DotD: Dee Dee

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

I am most humbly sorry to Vintage Videos and to everybody else. It seems i foolishly locked this topic early this morning instead of pinning it. Please accept my apologies for this silly error. The thread is now open for your comments.

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

At first glance, there doesn't seem to be much to this routine at all, it's just a regular dance with hips being thrusted in a synchronised fashion, speaking of which, the dress-code appears to be a random affair, with the boots, bottoms, & tops not really matching in any manner.

But having said all of that, despite all of the simplicity, not even any discernible props on the stage, I do really like this routine, these ladies really can carry off any type of routine.

8/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

bucksby
Probably the most important Pans people routine ever (I was born the day it was broadcast) anyway I will try and be impartial! Actually I think this is a great track and it should have got much higher than 23 (especially when you consider some of the crap ahead of it Jasper Carrot for example) I think this is a pretty good dance and there are quite a few nuances in it too to keep your attention. Sue again shows her maturity but for me Ruth catches my eye, I love her hair in this. So Ruth DOTD. Routine a 9.

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

VintageVideos
A 9? Bucksby, you let me down

Name -- BUCKSBY                               Age  --  36
Starsign  --  VIRGO                             Gender  --  MALE
Country of residence  --  UK                 Fav dancer  --  ALL
Favourite Pans People Performance  --  ONE OF THOSE NIGHTS
Favourite Ruby Flipper performance  --  HEART ON MY SLEEVE
Favourite Legs & Co performance  --  NONE

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

Its another very watchable dance routine to a pretty decent tune. The girls are dressed in clothing that wouldn't look amiss today. Jeans and those tops are fashionable what ever the decade. I think i will plump for `Cherry` as my DOTD, she sure looked mighty fine in this.

I will like to rate this `9.25 out of 10`

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

Cool and classy. The ladies look most divine here, and I quite like how the shorter hair twosome are put to the front of the stage, while those with more hair to swish are to the back. Don't know why, but I just do.

DotD: For me, it's Dee Dee, especially as she seems most caught up in the rhythm and really gives a stellar performance. I love the close-up of her at the start of the first bridge.

Score: 9

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

mojo2007
Love the treatment Flick gives to this number. I think a 9 . DOTD for me is Dee Dee  who projects a great deal of naughtiness.
mojo

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

This is simple but effective.  The emphatic hip movements, curvy blue lines on the walls and floor and the hypnotic music add up to a potent recipe and the ladies cook it up very nicely.  I like the detached but slyly smiling expressions on most of their faces seen in good close-ups but I agree Dee Dee  is tops here and produces such pelvic force that perhaps the MegaNewton should be re-designated the Wilde.  I would award a 9/10  for this fine rendition and only the odd tilted views detract a little for me.

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

bucksby
yeah I don't like giving 10s for some reason (probably did once on legs ratings) and I avoid giving fraction ratings. Only 36? I think I have aged a bit since then. I have watched quite a few pans dances since I first stated this although so far for it's cultural and historical importance (ie my birth) it is still my favorite

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

Andeebee
It is the best version on the net, but not the best version I have.  I do have a copy from the same cache which spewed forth Silver Star & Sexy Sugar Plum.  But I can't and won't replace the copy now, too many views, and I fought against the tube to keep that routine up.  I may or may not start adding some of the tube stuff to DM as I'm itching to retweak them LOL

Anyway, the routine, one of my guilty pleasures, when I first put it up I used to watch it on rotation.  It was that damn good, it's sexy and steamy (for 7.30pm), the look is fantastic, the rolled jeans the chiffron tops, the lithe figures, the smouldering looks. Yowash, and the song is pretty damn good as well. The dancers are spot on, but my only grumble is Babs is out of her depth with this one (mistimings galore) - sorry Babs fans

Now the score - yes the scores on ADB's door - 10/10 (waited ages for this)

DOTD: this poses a huge problem, do I go for Cherry with the opening sizzling look, or Sue, nimble and hands a wandering, nope I will plump for the dancer that drew me in the first time I saw it, Dee Dee, the look, the half seductive pout, the gyratings....lie down time and cold shower

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

Likes:

The song its lyrics go so well with the dance
GOOD GIRATIONS !
The opening sequence as they warm up- they look so hot.
A sort of slow motion version down down with more covered up costumes
Classic Pans Hairswishing
A great example of the girls not doing very much but pulling of something really steamy
trademark camera work where the floor moves and slopes- also in Machine gun and some other routines.
the jeans
the boots
think Sue said is was one of her faves once and who I am to disagree

Minor Dislike : (which prevents this being one my alll time favourites)
The tops- they look a bit flimsy and low quality and make the girls look a bit pregnant.

DOTD Daring  Dee Dee pips Raunchy Ruth for raunchiness and her moments with the camera on her are exceptional. An easy 10 form the East Sussex jury.

Great to be back on here thanks VV and Abd for the improved copy. Sorry I've gone awol on these recently but Looking forward to more catchups over xmas.

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

PattiforPM
BeautifulBabs wrote
The tops- they look a bit flimsy and low quality and make the girls look a bit pregnant.
Entertaining insightful review as always BB but anagram to solve re above quote:

            With mouth out soap wash

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

JEZ
excellent bit of choreography ,not a record i would have bought myself back in 1975 ,but as the years have passed i now love a lot of the eagles songs ,such a pity we dont have the routine take it to the limit ,to comment on ,as that must be my favourite song by the eagles ,i love the outfits worn by the girls ,the only little flaw i can see on this performance ,is when babs gets a bit behind on one of the moves ,nothing major ,but as i watch the dance i cant help noticing it every time ,probably on the first viewing as these routines were meant to be of purpose for ,i wouldent have spotted it so much ,anyway ill give the dance a well earned 9

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

Suefan
This one is well worth its inclusion alongside the other big hitters in this month of home runs.  Superbly sexy with enough eye contact to ignite an already sultry August evening this is high octane stuff indeed, and the costume choice only adds to its appeal.
Another maximum 10 with Sue for Dotd.

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

VintageVideos
Thanks for all the comments so far, and I'm kind of relieved that this routine has piled up a few tenners in the end (even though not from the members of whom I expected it). Also good to see the likes/dislikes evaluation back on track.
Presently this performance would sit comfortably at No. 5 in our favourite's list but I'm sure there are others who would like to have their say.

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

Lookmacinanger
Pans People in between the dark and the light. A great track by The Eagles which is given an uncomplicated but very watchable routine. I think the younger Pans ladies are a little bit overshadowed by their more experienced colleagues during this one, but as we know they are learning their craft rapidly. 8/10, Dotd Dee Dee

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

I'm not sure who you had expected would be wheeling out their ten paddles for this one VV but this has long been a firm favourite of mine.  All the dancers do a fine job but there is good reason for Sue being in the front, although I would hesitate to suggest that she puts any of the others in the shade!  Well not by much !!

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

Andeebee
Likewise, I would of plumped for Sue on this one, but sadly she is out raunched by Dee Dee, a very firm fav of mine for a 10....

Re: ONE OF THESE NIGHTS -- 1975

Doubleday
Personal view, of course, but I wonder if The Eagles' music produces the most memorable dances; this song is very even in tempo and maybe not enough for dancers and choreographer to latch on to (this is not a criticism of The Eagles, I hasten to add).

And can understand folk not relating to the costumes ... to me, the tops are 70s, the jeans are 50s and the boots are 60s.

But in spite of all that it's pleasant to watch (and a good copy too - thanks ADB & VV); so I'll say 8/10.

Favourite dancer Dee Dee, who looks more attractively dishevelled than usual. And I've seen that little shimmy in real life ... and not so long ago either!

123