Quantcast

OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 12/10/1968

Over Under Sideways Down
Performed by The Yardbirds and reaching number 10 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 12/10/1968 Duration of dance - 1.48 mins
Dancers: Andrea, Dee Dee, Flick
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OldxNeJ21tg

The Yardbirds are a (still existing!) English rock band which formed in 1963 and is notable for having started the careers of three of rock's most famous guitarists: Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page. During 1965 and 1966 they placed four singles in the Top 3 of the UK charts, the biggest of them being "Heart Full Of Soul", peaking at No. 2. "Over Under Sideways Down" was their final sizeable hit single, originally released in May 1966.

More than two years later, German "Beat-Club" episode No. 36 featured the "Go-Go Girls from London", as Pan's People were affectionately called, dancing to "Over Under Sideways Down". As the booklet for the DVD box "The Story of Beat-Club" explains, an originally planned performance by the Yardbirds had to be cancelled because the group had just broken up.

Together with Jan & Dean's "Bucket T" from the same show this is the earliest full routine (excluding support routines) that is publicly available. Introduced by DLT, who was regularly co-hosting "Beat-Club" around that time, the performance is slightly longer than "Bucket T" but still shorter than 2 minutes. It features the same three dancers in a similar Go-go style. Yet there are a few differences. Firstly the girls have changed clothes. Gone are the miniskirts and white (?) boots. Instead we see long trousers and high heels (well, kind of). And secondly, the rather extreme visual effects of "Bucket T" have been dropped in favour of more viewer-friendly close-ups in the background.

Although I can't say that I prefer long trousers to miniskirts, this is my favourite of the two "Beat-Club" performances. One reason is the song which I find not half as annoying as "Bucket T", but the main reason is the much better camera work. The flickering pictures of "Bucket T" didn't do anything for me, whereas the close-ups in the background of "Over Under Sideways Down" are very easy on the eyes. In fact, it's quite pleasant to view this clip.

7.5 / 10

With only three dancers taking part, this performance is not eligible for Dancer of the Day.

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

PattiForPM
Quite watchable and the ladies look great in their hip hugging trousers.  The tune is pretty good too and seeing DLT in his impressive dark helmet is interesting.  I can't recall if there's a story behind why only three of the ladies appear here but maybe that's all the Producers wanted this time.  Anyway the Dance is worth about 6.5/10  for me.  I certainly wouldn't watch it in preference to any later work (with a few exceptions - female balladeers beware cos you know who you are!) but its place in History has been mentioned and looms large in my book.  Dee Dee and her big hair are highlights for me but I won't mention DotD against instructions

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

Pan's People' always ahead of the fashion game, flairs, & they're not even into the '70s yet.
This dance routine's probably typical of that time, with minimal travel down the literal way, even for this track title, in fact, they're never on cue for the ''down' & 'under' parts, always crouching down, during other lyrics.
But nonetheless, for me, this was a welcome visit to Pan's People's '60s era.

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

PansLegs
[compact critique] Great energy, with lots of very early style moves and hand gestures. Ultimately not as appealing as the other Beat Club performance, but like that also criminally short at way under 2 mins. 6/10

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

A performance short in duration, rather like my post here. But it was a performance that was enjoyable.

8 out of 10

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

PaulF
A typical early PP display, pleasant to watch 7/10
Paul

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

An enjoyable and all too brief 1.48, but given the limited travel perhaps sufficient.  At one point I get briefly distracted as, true to form, Dee Dee pants seem to be trying to travel south !  If the clip was in colour I might watch it a little more often but as it isn't I'm only giving this a 6.

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

Mikey
Another short but entertaining early Pans dance. Although rooted to the spot they easily carry it off with abundant enthusiam particularly Dee Dee who looks to be enjoying herself the most. Some interesting little moves incorporated particlarly the 'bow' bits and the 'when will it end' crouches, an energic workout for the ladies. Enjoyed the song too. Where was Ushsi Nerke?, i feel denied.

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

VintageVideos
This is especially for you, Mikey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVYe08qvIvA

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

Mikey
Excellent, thanks

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

Gorgeous Daze
Who put acid in the rock n rollers' milk shake? Well done, I like the psychedelic elements of the song. The carefree sixties dancing is pleasant enough but nothing special and it's a little frothy for a record with an edge. In monochrome the sparkly little tops don't beguile and the trousers and boots just look bland. The vision mixes become too much when it gets busy - as is often deliberately the case in this era - to simulate a trip. I imagine the whole thing would be pretty groovy in colour.

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

Old Grey Whistler
Good to see a rare clip from the sixties and the three dancers all perform well. Would like to have seen it in colour but it is good that it exists at all. It's a shame that the rest of the troupe weren't there.
7 out of 10.

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

Andeebee
Not a fan of this, but glad it still exists, better than the BC output of the time.

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

Doc
Thank god some companies didn't choose to throw all the family silver out otherwise we wouldn't have anything left from 1968. Such a shame the Christmas The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was dispensed with, judging by the pictures I bet it was good. The best bit about these routines are that they survive, the dance is fairly basic but it's still watchable 7/10.

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

BeautifulBabs
Likes
Typical flick 1960s go go style
Fun
Energetic
Andy's hair
Trio works well
Arm moves copied by usain bolt

Not so good
Babs didn't make the cut
It's too short
Fairly constant pace
Andy stuck on the end too far from camera

Very watchable but it's never going to be a fave or make it to my desert island 6.5 from me

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

Everything'sRosie
Careful archaeological digging has uncovered a rare find here. As others have said typical go-go dancing of the sixties, but that's not a bad thing. Was DLT born with that beard!? Love The Yardbirds sound, so distinctive, so redolent of the era. Only three of our girls, even though the camera effects try to convince us otherwise. I'm guessing this was always in black & white and not a monochrome telerecording of a colour wiped show?

Marks: Not enough going on to rate more than a 7/10 but wonderful to have it nevertheless.

I know there's no DotD but Dee Dee is gorgeous. Just saying, if you hadn't already noticed!

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

VintageVideos
Everything'sRosie wrote
I'm guessing this was always in black & white and not a monochrome telerecording of a colour wiped show?
Yes ER. The first Beat Club episode that was recorded in colour was BC 51 from 30/01/1970.

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

Lookmacinanger
Back where it all began, honing their skills in the studios of continental Europe, we get a glimpse of what’s in store for the next few years. Good blues driven track to work with, the fixed camera makes for a slightly repetitive view, but there’s plenty of enthusiasm going into this performance. 7/10

Re: OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN -- 1968

Is that DLT knitting his own homegrown Russian hat? Great energetic late 1960s routine. I enjoyed it and always love watching Flick (bit of a Flick crush). Dee Dee was just lovely in this. 7.75 for me.