Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

Do any of our pop historians out there know the oldest written tune or song that was danced by our three troupes Pans People, Ruby Flipper & Legs & co. Im certainly no music buff and not at all qualified to give an accurate answer.

But i am curious to know the answer to this question after watching an episode of The Waltons of all things, in which Jason played the tune to `I Only Have Eyes For You` on his harmonica. The programme was set in 1934 (the same year as the song was wrote).

Another song thats rather old is `The Continental` danced by Phil & Lulu from Ruby Flipper. Coincidentally that was also written in 1934.

Are any songs or tunes even older than 1934 ? What is the oldest tune that Legs & Co danced ? Any answers or comments will be appreciated.

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

Gorgeous Daze
Several extracts from way before 1934 in Hooked On Classics. But I'm not the classical music buff to know which one is oldest.

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

The Rubberband Man
Both of the above are old songs or tunes, but are not being performed by the original artist when RF or L&C are dancing.
The re-release of Green Onions by Booker T & The MG's was originally released in October 1962, and danced to by L&C in January 1980.

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

Gorgeous Daze
Dion's The Wanderer also dates from 1962.

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

Off the top of my head A fifth of Beethoven springs to mind, which takes us back to the nineteenth century, though this is orchestral music, of course. As for songs I'd have to investigate deeper.

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

PansLegs
I wonder if PP'S dance to Allemande/Wedding March qualifies?  Certainly the style of dance is very old (see below) but I'm not sure if the actual tunes featured are old or simply ones made up and recorded for the drama series.

Allemande definition:-

A 17th and 18th century court dance developed in France from a German folk dance: a dance step with arms interlaced.

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

Willoway
Jungle Rock was written and originally recorded in 1958, not sure if it was the original recording on the show performances though.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

Love me Like a Lover samples the mating song of the prehistoric Triceratops

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions on this. Im not sure if the tunes for Allemande/Wedding March we're original pieces of Tudor music recreated for the 1971 BBC series `The Six Wives of Henry VIII` or if they were written specifically to fit in with the series. This is the sort of thing that our resident music historian Vintage Videos may know the answer to. Anyhow, i will take a punt on the former and say these tunes were around in King Henry's day. Ive created a draft list below. This list may need some amendments and i expect that to happen. I will alter accordingly.

Oldest tune/s Pans People danced to on TOTPs.

Allemande/Wedding March  -  15th/16th Century.

Oldest tune/s Pans People danced to on TOTPs by original artist.

Jungle Rock -  Originally released 1958

Oldest tune/s Ruby Flipper danced to on TOTPs.

The Continental  -  written in 1934

Oldest tune/s Ruby Flipper danced to on TOTPs by original artist.

The Wanderer  -  Originally released 1961

Oldest tune/s Legs & Co danced to on TOTPs.

Hooked On Classics  -  Recreated pieces of classical music stretching back to the 18th/19th century

Oldest tune/s Legs & Co danced to on TOTPs by original artist.

Not sure on this ????????????????  Your help required.

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

mojo2007
Did they dance to
 By the waters of Babylon or Brown Girl in the Ring by Boney M ?

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

PansLegs
I just thought to look at the back of the BBC 7" record. It says "This souvenir record includes the theme music and some of the dances and incidental music from the series, arranged from sixteenth century sources by David Munrow".

So this would seem to indicate the tunes are period pieces.

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

mojo2007 wrote
Did they dance to
 By the waters of Babylon or Brown Girl in the Ring by Boney M ?
Interesting one this. Legs did dance to Brown Girl In The Ring, of course. A double A side with Rivers of Babylon. So on a technicality, they danced to a disc which contained a psalm from the King James Bible. However, this would still be more recent than the Tudor music Pans danced to (if authentic).

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

mojo2007
Nice point

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

Thanks Mojo & ER. My Bible reading isn't all it should be im afraid. That is not helped i guess with me being an out and out atheist. As Legs & Co didn't dance to The Rivers Of Babylon, then that particular song can be discounted from the list.

I would though like to find out the oldest song Legs danced to that was released by the original artist. Am i correct in thinking this could be Jungle Rock, released by Hank Mizell in 1958 ? Was the 76 version a exact copy or a re-vamp.

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

Everything'sRosie
Re the oldest song danced to by Legs. The Caribbean Disco Show sampled The Banana Boat song. The Day-O chant heard in the song, possibly from the Harry Belafonte version, dates back to 1956. However, the song itself is much older and was sung by night-shift Jamaican dock workers loading the boats, who would celebrate home time as the sun rose with the Day-O refrain, and this can be dated back to pre 20th Century.

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??

PattiForPM
We might have to divide up our OFTDs History Chapter into sub-departments cos this ER chap deserves consideration

Re: Oldest written tune or song danced to by our dancers ??