PAN'S PEOPLE Work Outside Of TOTPS.

80schick
Bobbie Gentry BBC2.
Six weekly appearances 13 July 1968 to 17 August 1968
This programme was shown within a week or two of Pan’s People’s debut on Top of the Pops. Not only is it the earliest non-TOTP example I can find, it is also the earliest example of Pan’s People televised in colour. The full title of the show was ‘Bobbie Gentry Sings Of The Fragrance, Love, Sorrow And Rumour Of The Delta Country’.

Lulu BBC1.
Thirteen weekly appearances 28 December 1968 to 22 March 1969
This programme was broadcast early on Saturday evenings and is Pan’s People’s longest series of appearances away from Top Of The Pops.

With A Little Help From My Friend's ITV.
All-Star musical extravaganza presented by Beatles’ producer George Martin and starring many the acts he worked with including Ringo Starr, The Hollies and Lulu.

The Price Of Fame BBC2.
Yet another Christmas Day appearance by Pan’s People, this time on a show starring Alan Price and Georgie Fame. The programme was subtitled ‘or Fame At Any Price’ and also featured Billy Preston and The Ladybirds.

Gentry BBC2.
Six weekly appearances 01 February 1971 to 15 March 1971
Apart from showcasing the wonderful Pan’s People, this series was also notable for an early appearance by Elton John whose very first hit ‘Your Song’ was riding high in the charts at the time. The programme was not broadcast on 01 March because of an extended edition of ‘The High Chaparral’.

The Talk Of The Town BBC2.
30 April 1972 and 07 May 1972
‘The Talk Of The Town’ was actually the programme’s subtitle. The full titles of the two shows featuring Pan’s People are ‘Nancy Wilson From The Talk Of The Town’ and ‘Glen Campbell From The Talk Of The Town’.

Cilla Black BBC1.
Saturday evening entertainment from Miss Cilla Black. Actor John Alderton also appeared in this edition.

Frankie Howard In Ulster BBC1.
This show featured Frankie Howard performing in front of British troops stationed in Northern Ireland. It was staged inside an aircraft hangar at RAF Aldergrove and starred Wendy Richard, June Whitfield and Pan’s People (of course!).

The john Denver Show BBC2.
Six weekly appearances 29 April 1973 to 03 June 1973

The Two Ronnies BBC2.
This series ran alternate Thursday evenings on BBC2 between 27 September 1973 and 03 January 1974
Pan’s People appeared on at least six of these shows, possibly more. They feature some of Pan’s People’s best routines, dancing to tunes such as ‘Yesterday’ and ‘Johnny B. Goode’.

Clunk - Click BBC1.
Before ‘Jim’ll Fix It’, Jimmy Savile previously entertained Saturday night audiences with the short-lived ‘Clunk-Click’. This series of 13 weekly shows was broadcast immediately after ‘Dr Who’ between 02 February 1974 and 27 April 1974. Pan’s People were guests on one edition wearing very revealing black dresses. The name Clunk-Click is taken from the 1970’s “Clunk-Click Every Trip” wear your seat-belt campaign, which Jimmy Savile fronted. By the early 1980’s Jimmy Savile was presenting the British Rail TV ads urging people to travel by train. Hence the now twenty year old joke, “For years Jimmy Savile told us to Clunk-Click every trip…but as soon as it becomes Law he takes the train”. Rest assured folks, that joke is as bad as this website gets – by a long, long way.

In Concert BBC2.
On 17 April 1974, viewers were treated to 35 minutes of non-stop Pan’s People, including an infamous set with Louise and Dee Dee dancing on cushions wearing very little indeed. This routine is shown today on virtually all Pan’s People retrospectives. In a 1994 documentary Louise said that these skimpy little outfits were actually one of the most expensive costumes ever made for the group.

Jim'll Fix It BBC1.
In contrast to his short-lived ‘Clunk-Click’ series, Jimmy Savile’s next Saturday teatime programme would run for a staggering twenty years. Given Jimmy’s lecherous behaviour when Pan’s People appeared on ‘Clunk-Click’, it was no surprise when the girls also featured in the very first edition of ‘Jim’ll Fix It’ on 31 May 1975. Out of the hundreds of young girls who had written to the BBC asking to dance with Pan’s People it was lucky eight year old Victoria Cullom whose wish came true.

Aladdin BBC1.
One hour long Panto also featuring Michael Aspel, Dana, The Goodies and Ed Stewart.

The Morecambe & Wise Christmas Show BBC1.
Eric and Ernie got dressed up in full drag and joined the girls dancing to ‘Big Spender’.

Re: PAN'S PEOPLE Work Outside Of TOTPS.

Doubleday
The Two Ronnies BBC2.
This series ran alternate Thursday evenings on BBC2 between 27 September 1973 and 03 January 1974
Pan’s People appeared on at least six of these shows, possibly more. They feature some of Pan’s People’s best routines, dancing to tunes such as ‘Yesterday’ and ‘Johnny B. Goode’.

Seven, in fact; for some unknown reason a magician took their spot on the eighth! And as I've mentioned elsewhere, all now available on DVD!

Re: PAN'S PEOPLE Work Outside Of TOTPS.

80schick
Thanks Doubleday. I will be ordering them in the morning.

Re: PAN'S PEOPLE Work Outside Of TOTPS.

Young Mister Grace
Thanks for the great information, 80schick: there's a few on your list that are news to me.

How do you manage to get your hands on such valuable, rare information?

Jealous? Moi?

YMG
You've all done vey well!

I cheated. I had all this info stored on my pc along with pictures years ago from a page called panspeople.freeserve.co.uk
I will add to the ones I have posted as I have more info.

Re: PAN'S PEOPLE Work Outside Of TOTPS.

Doubleday
This site still exists and can be viewed here

By the way, I should have said available on DVD in the UK. Better get that right before pattiforpm spots it

Re: PAN'S PEOPLE Work Outside Of TOTPS.

PattiforPM
Thanks from your Commonwealth