PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 25/01/1973

Papa Was A Rollin‘ Stone
Performed by The Temptations and reaching number 14 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 25/01/1973 Duration of dance - 3.21 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1G-AzzMCA4

From 1965 to 1973, the Temptations had managed to score a Top 50 hit in the UK in every single year. No mean feat for an American vocal group. Still none of their releases until then had peaked any higher than No. 7. So they must have had high hopes for this record, even more as it had gone all the way to No. 1 in the US. And the prospects seemed good, 'Papa' leaped from No. 37 to No. 18 in its second week. Strangely enough though, after climbing only another four places to No. 14, it began its way down the charts again, and the Temptations would have to wait more than 11 years for their next Top 40 single.

In case you were anticipating a routine to the full record, well, the single version is 6.55 mins long (edited from the 12 min. album version), so we're not even treated with half of the song this time. Yet it's still much longer than the 2.30 min. routines which became almost standard a few years later.

The whole routine is based on the lyrics of the song and telling the story in pictures. It is quite unique in its use of psychedelic effects with many different colours and shapes weaving into each other. Cherry is playing the enquirer (should be the son but here you have the lovely daughter instead) while Ruth is starring as 'Mama', at least that would be my interpretation. Both are wearing predominantly white clothes, with the rest of the girls predominantly dressed in black. The routine is a good mix of acting and dancing with lots of solos by all the ladies.

So much more could be said about this terrific dance (and I'm sure it will), it's just an absolutely classic performance. The song is great as well, I love even the 12 min. version. So without a doubt this is a full marks routine, 10 out of 10, no less. One of the maybe 10 routines that I actually prefer to our current board leader 'Barbados'.

Choosing a Dancer of the Day here isn't easy, but I'll go for the leading actress Cherry. Her facial expressions are the highlight of this routine for me. Still Ruth is just very close behind.

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

Andeebee
by the number of views on the channel, it isn't watched that much.

A ok stab at some rather late psychedelic graphics, and a ok routine that doesn't really set me a light.  Not the top of my list but an enjoyable waste of 3 mins of my day.

5/10

DOTD: no doubt, goes to  Cheryl.

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

Yes this is very good and the routine matches the song well. For me though i find the graphics just a bit to distracting and a little to busy. Still very watchable and i will award it 8 out of 10. The dead pan stares from Cherry make her my girl of the day.

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

Well this is one of my absolute favorites.  I think it has a hypnotic intensity almost unmatched in Dance Troupe history and matches this tremendous atmospheric song really well.   Cherry has me completely transfixed with her beautiful face and that huge mane and she maintains the intense emotion of the piece with nary a smile, as does her co-star Ruth, whose finale with strands of hair across her face is just right.  Usually I don't like lights and too many psychedelic effects but somehow they don't intrude for me in this one and seem to work well with the Dance design, especially with the ladies in the black flared catsuits.  Yup I really like this one and it gets 9.5/10 and the sublime Cherry gets DotD with Ruth a very close second indeed.

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

Paperboyplod
Some early usage of CGI effects for this routine, it looks a little bit garish, & you can't help bit try to focus on the dancers as much as possible.
They basically perform a straight routine, with a few twirls, the star of the show seems to be Cherry, we do indeed get some quirky facial expressions from her.

7/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

VintageVideos
Thanks for your comments so far. I expected the ratings for this one to be varied as I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. As we mentioned before, it will be very hard for a classic Pan's People routine to score an average of 9 or more, but I'm still confident there will be two or three which will succeed in doing so.

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

Suefan
This isn't one that gets much air time hereabouts, in part due to the distracting graphics while the song doesn't grab me so a rather miserly 6 from me.

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

BeautifulBabs
Another fave this is my idea of a ten
Likes :
Fabulous psychadelic effects- love these in the early pans routines and this is the best surviving example.
You can do magic, finders keepers, dance with the devil also had these effects I think.
Cherry is absolutely ravishing.
Routine fits song very well and improves the song.
clapping effects
ruths hair stuck to her face
Ruth and Cherry are big people Babs Louise and Dee Dee are small with opposite outfits
Not corny or over literal
Good length
Some brilliance from the stoned mixer as well as flick.

Dislikes :
nothing

So perfect 10 and Cheryl is dotd by a long stretch

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

This is a good one to show those who accuse Pan's People of being twee. It's a very serious performance with nary a smile in sight. The song's a classic slice of trippy soul and the psychedelic effects are ideal for it. These were still very much part of the TOTPs' scenery in '73, as demonstrated by Kenny Everitt in that post-show children's TV interview that was shown on the night dedicated to him on BBC4 a few months back. I think having just the two girls in the foreground works well because it allows us to focus more on the pain of the protagonists in the song than it would if the shots were flitting around all their faces. For a girl who does mischief and fun so well, this - for me at least - is a tour de force for Cherry. At times she seems to be in an invocatory trance for her father, and the jolting shock on her face at the date of his dance is another impressive bit. The handclaps just add to the intensity of the mood, while also reminding us that in its strange way this is one for the dancefloor.

DOTD, it's that girl again. Cherry.

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

VintageVideos
Great comments, friends, and I'm delighted that with Gorgeous Daze we have another real Pan aficionado amongst our members! Can I just say that I thoroughly enjoy your input here!

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

Gorgeous Daze
Thank you very much Vin. And may I say what a great job you do as host. Really appreciated.

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

BeautifulBabs
Yes I really appreciate everyone's different style of review here friends and I have to say Vv you have spolit us again with this one and we are due more surely due more dross like iohefo summertime city and bore bore bore. 4 of my 12 unwiped pans tens have appeared so far so slow down pls Vv or people will just think I get ten to everything Pans.

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

A pleasure on the ears and also on the eyes.

Cherry and Ruth are stunningly cast in the lead roles here - a real sign of confidence from Flick that she places the debutante in a role like this as her first month on-screen draws to an end. The in-harmony dynamic Miss Gillespie and Miss Pearson have in this routine is so captivating and so perfect.

Of course, Babs, Dee Dee and Louise's parts shouldn't be overlooked and their moves are perfect to the melody.

My DoTD is Cherry and my score is 10.
LNV

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

LNV
Not often do I like the use of visual trickery to enhance a dance number but here the special effects are a success. They add to my enjoyment of the performance. I’ll go so far as to say that the psychedelic lava-lamp surroundings is an extra troupe member as Pans People do interweave with the effects so well, dance with it almost as they disappear into and out from the backdrop visuals.

Pans’ look like Fab, Groovy space/time travellers, a Top of the Pops version of The Tomorrow People with their 70’s imagining of futuristic fashion …flares are still in guys!!  Rarely does covering up the ladies charms appeal to me, but they look very attractive to me. The black/silver outfits work better I’d say.

Cherry’s cherubic face is the focus of our attentions, the main player of the performance as she is chosen to emote the song’s story. Though I rather go for the three black clothed happy-clappy sisters.  Which means I guess I am a primitive after-all; I prefer the disco side to the pearl-white artistry of Cherry and Ruth. Babs ‘blond energy’ is suited to the Routine, so for that reason Babs is my chosen DotD.

7/10. I’ll almost always award a good old-fashioned formation dance higher marks than attempts at what are merely variations on the imperishable showgirl dances. Philadelphia Freedom is one example, such a cheeky little number! This is good though, many elements of interest to look again upon. Cherry’s cutie face and her facial expressiveness, the space-age clothing and trippy visual effects.

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

VintageVideos
This is the right moment for me to say, welcome back LNV, and especially welcome to the Pan's People comments section! It's good to have another eloquent participant here!

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

BeautifulBabs wrote
While I was looking for a routine from 1973 to feature, it was hard not to find one that's a tenner. I could've gone for 'Monster Mash' but I wanted to save that for another occasion. But I promise I'll consider your request for next week's offering.

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

BeautifulBabs
ok thanks vv i will do a short sentence for once but lnv welcome back and what is your idea of a pans 10 please?
welcome to the 10 club for this one col.
LNV

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

LNV
I shall award a scoring of 10 as and when I deem necessary Mr Babsy. Neither sooner or later than is proper and fit. Sorry had a touch of Gravyass I thinks it's called when being somewhat pompous. Up North call it thus anyway. Bytheway have I mentioned from which region I do hail from..is it always snowing do they mean when using that phrase?
I could throw out a remark that such and such a  dance is the pinnacle of Pans People performing power and worthy of a 10. But as with Bo Derek there wouldn't be much meat to me argument. Have to wait till I see it, review it and give it. Whatever it is.

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

JEZ
i would have imagined the first time listening to this song ,any choreographer would have thought ,what am i gonna do with this song ,i would imagine it was a hard song to set a dance to ,but flick came up trumps as ever ,although its not a song i could sit and listen to twice in a row ,and that is what spoils my marking of the dance ,i suppose most of us if we had watched it first time around in 73 ,would not have noticed all the vibrant background colours ,coz most of us had black and white tellys ,so watching it in black and white probably didnt do a lot for the dance without all those enhancing colours ,anyway a good routine ,but sadly the song lets it doen for me ,so im going for 7.5 ,and dod would definitley be cherry ,cheers ,also hi to lnv ,welcome back

Re: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE -- 1973

I'm not too keen on the blotchy dabs of colour on the screen here and the melodrama acted out is all too serious.When I saw Cherry and Ruth in their outfits, I thought they'd just arrived from judo class and with her dishevelled look at the end, it seems Miss Pearson came out worse. I quite like the futuristic effects of the black clad dancers disappearing into the clouds, but this is not a favourite of mine. 6/10
DOTD Cherry.