PAPERBACK WRITER -- 08/04/1976

The Beatles Weeks, Part 3:

Paperback Writer
Performed by The Beatles and reaching number 23 in the UK charts (rerelease)
Original broadcast date 08/04/1976 Duration of dance - 2.07 mins
Dancers: Cherry, Mary, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3kkahw

First released in 1966, this was the 10th number 1 single for The Beatles in the UK. It was rereleased in 1976 as a cash-in and reached a respectable No. 23. The story goes that Paul McCartney was asked if he could write a song that wasn't about love, and then he saw Ringo reading a book and had the idea for this record. In Noel Edmond's words, this might be the only 'novel'ty hit by The Beatles…

The 'authorized' routine (another NE pun!) to this song was performed on 08/04/1976, three weeks before Pan's People's final appearance, and it was the first without Lee who had left the ship 4 weeks early. The remaining ladies perform a dance that seems to borrow heavily from the lyrics although they're rather playing the part of Ringo instead of Paul. Here we have 'Paperback Readers' instead of writers. Not content to read one book, the girls even grab one in each hand. There's your proof that our ladies were capable of multi-tasking long before the word became common parlance!

I really like this routine. The costumes look good and the unusual setting suits the song well. Of all The Beatles routines by Pan's People, this is easily my favourite. Yet again, I found it extremely difficult to pick a Dancer of the Day.

I'll award this dance 9 out of 10.

My Reader of the Day is Sue.

May I finally draw your attention to this thread in which we tried to identify the books in this routine:

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Name-Those-Books-td3994638.html

There's still some detective work to be done!

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

PattiforPM
I thoroughly enjoy this one with it's WH Smith setting and the ladies rushing around in those form-fitting fringed outfits.  It reminds me a little of the Celtic Riverdance-style dancing with their upper bodies fairly static reading two books and frantic action below the waist.  All in all it's great spectator sport and of course the song's a classic with that great guitar riff.  I actually do recall this performance when i was a teenager, such was it's impact, so I'm giving it 9.5/10.  DotD is tricky cos they're all great in this but the truth is I find Cherry such a great contrast between bookishness and sexiness I just have to give her another vote.

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

Great stuff from the late Pans girls. Terrific literal choreography from Flick to a famous tune. I adore those white costumes that fit so snugly in all the right places. DOTD, well i could easily be swayed by the rear view of Mary when they run back on near the end, but once again its `Sue` who gets my attention the most. All the woman has to do is give me a couple of those cheeky glances and im hooked, well like she did in this. Rating, `9 out of 10`

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

A scene like this in a public library for example, is bound to provoke stares from fellow customers, & so having the studio audience doubling as rubber-necking library users, works a treat here. The ladies, considering that they've just come to read some books, are dressed in what appears to be full length, sleeveless pant suits, with flared bottoms, sporting heaps of fluff, & they decide to do a little dance for the other library users, after perusing a selection of titles, paper-backs naturally.

8/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

BeautifulBabs
Likes :
It's the girls
Sue and Cherry
Not wiped
Girls do their best to make it seem fun
thread to name books was a lot of fun
t's the beatles who would not show up so the girls did their best.

Dislikes :
not sexy
literal but inaccurate- girls are paperback readers not paperback writers (best literal routine is your so vain imho)
just like I can't stop involving stopping -its not right
costumes a bit brentford nylons
don't play this much
bookstands
libraries not dancy places even though my mum was a librarian
maybe it reminded Ruth it was time to hang up her dancing shoes
girls reading books while dancing- it's wrong like dancing with sticks of french bread
 a mary whitehouse favourite pans routine

only a 7 and Sue dotd but can see why it is a classic in some respects

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

PattiforPM
I completely empathize with you not finding beautiful ladies in tight outfits sexy under the cirumstances you mention BB although we must all come to terms with the fact that our Fathers found our Mothers sexy

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

hi a hard but interesting one to assess I think p4pm thanks Vv for asking question
btw have ordered new pans t-shirt for kal event see link below
http://prints.paimages.co.uk/dance_pans_people/print/697/4966958.html
LNV

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

LNV
I’m not so sure about the tale of ‘Paperback Writer’ being inspired by Ringo reading a book , which is probably a reference to Ringo  in the film  ‘ A Hard Day’s Night’  who is shown being berated by the actor Wilfred Brambell when he sees Ringo reading a book and not out “Parading.”  [ Mr Brambell plays the part of the ‘Dirty Old Man’ in the film and also referred to in the song. ]

To my knowledge it was based on John Lennon who was indeed a Paperback Writer with ‘In His Own Write’ and ‘A Spaniard in the Works’ published in 1964 and ’65 . Containing Lennon’s punish prose parodies of events and celebrities with also nonsense verse similar in style as in the song to, “…based on a novel by a man named Lear.”[Edward Lear] one of John’s favourite authors. Also Paul alludes to I think John’s marriage to Cynthia..”…his clinging wife doesn’t understand” Cynthia was noted for her possessiveness, as John saw it anyway and her desire for bringing up Julian in peaceful domesticity. Always an up hill struggle with the flourishing ‘Rock n Roll’ scene, especially in the Swinging London of the ‘60’s. ”Son works for the Daily Mail” a newspaper that Lennon hated for its Tory middle class views, and support for American military involvement in Vietnam. That’s my take on the song but enough, I’ll let it be and get back to the Pans People dance to said track.

Lovely opening shot of Mary as the camera zooms outwards, and as in ‘Space Oddtities’ her Bristol Cities front covers are something to read about. After the scene establishing shot, the books should have been discarded as they do get in the way of a danceable Rock number. The outfits enliven the proceedings, seems as if they do the dancing, as it’s the tassels on the pants that are the most dynamic part of the Routine. Not much else happens as they run about with bloody books in their hands all the way through, what was Flick thinking this time or as seems not doing so sufficiently to showcase her dancers at their very best. Am impressed with Cherry’s onscreen enthusiasm, what a top professional Cherry is in getting out and looking to enjoy the performance no matter what reservations she may have had.

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

BeautifulBabs
Let's guess your dotd and mark LNV !

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

Gosh. I didn't expect them to be engrossed in their paperbacks quite this much! It's as much like a readers' group with itchy feet as it is a dance routine with a bookish theme. I bet the girls wished they could have flung the books over their shoulders 20 seconds in. Still, think how even more restrictive it would have been had Flick gone down the 'writers' route.

The floor pattern looks like a geometric shape drawn for some ritual involving the dark arts. I hope they're not reading Alistair Crowley. The bookstands are typically seventies utilitarian examples and because of that don't provide an interesting set. And on similar lines, for me this is one of those literal routines that just doesn't work. A sedentary pastime like reading was always going to be difficult to translate into the dominant theme of an up-tempo song routine. On the other hand it's meant to be fun precisely because we're watching two things that aren't supposed to be done together. So I think there are equally valid ways of assessing this one. I like the costumes; stylishly perfect for the time between glam and the height of disco.  And the girls do a good job in unwieldy circumstances. When they twirl on the spot I see bookstands that have come to life!  Sue catches my eye the most and I give her what I think is her first PP DOTD from me.

Because it doesn't do it for me just 5/10

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

VintageVideos
Thanks GD for clearly stating who's your DotD and what's your score, not a matter of course in these days. It's interesting to see how different the routines are rated, and for anyone who's interested in a closer examination, I'm listing the lows and highs in the averages table. The biggest difference here so far is 7.5 but PattiforPM can beat that on his thread (I won't name the routine to elude suspicions of obsession with a certain routine).

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

Has anyone ever tried writing and dancing at the same time?

DotD for me is Sue as she has some beautiful moments where she catches the eye of the camera.

My score: 8 - mainly as I love the song, and there's plenty of super spins.

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

I think I know LNV's style as well as anyone on here and I'm not sure of his vote or DotD but based on my understanding he is giving this 10/10 and DotD is Patti (This should ensure a reply!).  Based on the debate on the origins of Paperback Writer I ended up surfing to the "BeatlesBible.com" and as usual got seriously sidetracked by some total Beatles Nuts there but it seems they have another theory of the origins with Macca writing it on a train after reading the Daily Mail on the way to John's place and no mention of it being about Ringo or John but who knows for sure?   All very interesting.  Then there was all sorts of debate about whether this was the first Beatles song not about relationships but no definite conclusion there either.  Not sure I'm any the wiser but maybe slightly better prepared for the next Beatles Quiz.
LNV

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

LNV
Hey Patti probably should be awarded full marks for the way I keep making 'Digs at the Dancing Queen' to paraphrase a certain documentary. As I've said before, I don't always believe it is appropriate to choose a DotD or even now on reflection, such as me little brain allows of course; hand out a score for a particular dance. These things fluctuate, dependent on one's moods as they are at the time of viewing a performance. Anyway are we becoming too much like a bookmakers with all this odds-on statistical stuff appearing everywhere on the forum?

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

PattiforPM
That does make sense LNV and I have no issue at all with comments and no numbers and I think you're aware that I particularly like reading your comments anyway.  In this instance I just wasn't sure if you just forgot to leave marks or not.

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

LNV, this is a free thread, post like you wanna post, ain't nobody gonna knock you...  yeah, freedom! (© Chuck Berry)
LNV

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

LNV
Thanks VV. My Dancer of the Day: Mary and I'll give a score of 6/10. So much for freedom...but I'll Give Peace a Chance; no arguments from those erudite 'Beatle Brains' out there, that was definitely to do with a certain Mr Lennon.

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

Lookmacinanger
Reading and dancing never looked so good.
9/10.

Dotd, there really is something about Mary

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

Great costumes....now if only Waterstones could be persuaded to adopt this as their staff uniform... and the dance fits so an 8.5 from me.

Re: PAPERBACK WRITER -- 1976

Andeebee
Cherry is my Paperback writer