PART TIME LOVE -- [November]

PART TIME LOVE   Dance/performance number 133 by Legs & Co
Performed by   Elton John  and reaching number 15 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date   02/11/78  Duration of dance --  2.42 mins
Dancers -- Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 122
Sue      120
Patti     118
Rosie    118
Gill       114
Lulu     114
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24ej8t_legs-co-part-time-love-totp-tx-02-11-1978_creation

        ***THIS IS A DANCE YOU WILL NOT SEE ON BBC4***
Here we find Legs & Co performing to the only Elton John single they ever danced to on TOTPs. This is a routine that has suffered greatly on the internet due to the poor visual quality. Thanks to Andee for improving on it with this clip, but it still seems a great shame it remains locked away in the BBC vault. I have to say that the routine itself isn't anything special and there are few standout highlights in it if any. Im not overly keen on the baco-foil decor and those strange costumes the girls are wearing. I cant make out what the black half's are. Its as though Flick as got a load of Black bear skins, halved them and attached them to the right hand side of the girls, most unappealing i must say. As ever the girls carry out their dance moves to perfection, at times working in groups of three, but i find the whole thing a little, bog standard, all rather functional. Sorry bout that, maybe you guys may see it differently.

For DOTD, well im struggling to choose so i will select a one second moment. Im going for the moment at 1.12 seconds during the girls individual walk throughs to camera. That raised eyebrow look from `Rosie` along with her smiling face secures her my nomination.

For my rating, well i hardly ever hit the play button on this, admittedly because of the poor historical visuals to it, but i cant give it more than `6.75 out of 10`> i hate to be so downbeat after Legs recent great run.

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

Andeebee
This routine caused weeks of problem to sort out, the costumes and the bacofoil green/gold background was impossible to get right.....so what is up is the best on offer (don't forget to pop it into 480)

Anyway, don't like this song, and the routine isn't so inspiring at all, Lulu stands out for me in this routine, so she gets DOTD

rating wise, well 3.75/10 as I don't really really watch this often (well last few weeks i have watched it enough times now)

After the run of 10's it's back down to earth with the penultimate Yewtree'd edition......the final one looks fantastic tweak wise

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

Well if ever there was an example of a routine suffering from lack of BBC4 exposure, it seems this may be the one. Please don't forget to make a comment on it.

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

Andeebee
Loads of comments here

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

The lighting's rather strange here, creating an almost monochromatic effect, whereby the dancers, & their surroundings, are just in different shades of gold, pale-coloured outfits, that go above their knees, with brownish looking feathery scarfs, although it's really too dark to see in any intricate details.
There's some nice twirling on the spot by all of the dancers, & once again, it's a tough call for dancer of the day, see below.

7/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

Andeebee
Not a great routine at all

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
I'd class this as an experimental routine. Always enjoyed the track as I felt Reg was responding to the changing musical landscape and Legs and Co interpret this in their routine. Perhaps the dramatic colour contrasts was in recognition of  Watford FC new chairman. 8/10 Dotd Sue

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

Colm
I can't fault the movements during "Part Time Love", but those costumes look like a nightmare to dance in.

DotD: Sing-a-long-a-Lulu

Score: 6.5

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

I must amit that this is not one of my favourite dances the ladies did. The baco-foil costumes just dont work for me. The back drop is a gray nothing. And know one stands out for me. So if I have to choose someone, I'll say Lulu.

The score must low 6 out of 10.

Nothing more to say.

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

VintageVideos
This is a very poor song i.m.o., and the dance can't make up for that. The dresses do look a bit strange with the black parts/halves although at least they provide some change. Nothing special here and picking a DotD is very tough.

5 / 10  DotD: Lulu

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

PattiforPM
Yup Reg dropped the ball on this one, I agree, and the ladies were unable to rescue it for once.  They look as if they have been attacked from one side by bad Spidey and the brighter side, while more appealing, is not easy to focus on.  The Dance is jolly enough but I find this one a little uninspiring and I do think the music is to blame.  I also agree that Lulu comes closest to lighting a flame under this so she gets my DotD and I am giving only 5/10.  Hard to believe this could have been written by the same bloke as Tiny Dancer, Candle in the Wind, Funeral for a Friend, Goodye Yellow Brick Road, Don't Let the Sun Go Down on me etc etc etc but I guess we all have off days.

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

Doc
I think that the different sides of the costumes are intended to signify the different personalities of a part time love (what ever that is) and the ladies generally dance in a more upbeat style when the yellow side is facing the camera and more elegantly when the dark evening dress is facing. However this is going to be lost on most people and I feel that the black side helps make the dance look a bit confusing. An interesting idea but I do think they would have looked great in all yellow. Again not much between them for dotd but I'm going for Rosie even though she did make a mistake half way through by doing an extra spin. As for the dance I actually think that it's really not that bad, it just suffers from the mix of colours on the set and costumes, so I'm knocking a point off for that and will give it an 8.

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

An interesting thought as Watford did play in yellow and black.

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

I quite like the costumes and for the dance moves required they seem to work well, but as the song isn't any great shakes this isn't a routine that gets watched all that often.  That said I do enjoy it, especially the heel kicking circling moves when the girls have divided into two groups of three so I'll give it a score of 7.  As for the Dotd I'm choosing Sue for the little extra she puts into those heel kicks.

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

JEZ
a very enjoyable performance ,and i can understand i think the reason for the costumes ,i personally myself would have thought the girls would have looked lovely if 3 were in full yellow costume ,and 3 were in full black ,but i must admitt the girls carry the dance off very well ,even though like its been said the costumes do look a bit of a nightmare to dance in ,i like elton john songs very much ,but this one is one i can take or leave ,a 7 .5 for my vote on this weeks routine

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

PaulF
Not a fan of the costumes but the girls seem to carry the routine off well. 7/10. DOTD The Patti spell seems to still be keeping my new found fascination with her alive.
Paul

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
I think it's very likely there's a Hornets connection here, it's long odds against Flick having coincidentally chosen colours similar to Watford's. And the girl standing next to DLT seems to be wearing a Watford scarf and she raises it slightly and gives a little cheer when DLT mentions the artist. The black attachments on the yellow dresses are like scarves with an Eltonesque flamboyance. They are attached at the shoulder - and the wrist, as was considered cool at football matches at the time. I may be reading something into this last observation that isn't there. Or maybe not. Whatever the reason for having them, these black appendages aren't very elegant, but that isn't too big a deal with the girls in silky short dresses and black tights. I think it's a good routine that suffers more than most from our not seeing it digitally enhanced on the TV screen. With the girls standing out more from the matching ambience I think it would attain mid-table respectability, even though the song is a bit bland. Watford were in Division Three at the time and that's about where 'Part Time Love' stands among Elton's seventies' work. It's certainly not League One, in any circumstances.

The girls split into threes to layer on top of the costumes the theme of semi disunity. The most memorable moment for me is Lulu's 'falling' spins and she gets my DOTD.

8.25/10
Steve
LNV

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

LNV
The pop-meister Elton John delivers again with an uplifting tune that I like. So I don’t understand the less than enthusiastic view on this bouncy tune that is suited for dancing to. As an unsophisticate of the varied pop music genres I’ll just have to admit to what I like.
Though the snappy rhythmic melody does limit the choreographic options available to Flick in devising a Routine for Legs & Co. Anyway a snappy tune calls for an appropriate well-organized dance and that is what Flick offers us. As the jaunty arm and waist movements at the beginning demonstrate they are the right and only suitable movements dance-wise. And so efficient too. The littlest needed gesture conveys a sense of briskness even though infact the Routine is not particularly fast.

As is often the case with Flick she was being kind to her Troupe in that regard or was she knowingly playing to their strengths and avoiding the pitfalls of a too hectic performance that can come undone as seen in my view in Black Betty. It is difficult to judge just how fast Legs & Co are actually dancing as a wide angle lens that is necessary to show all six dancers, gives a false impression of more space than there really is. And so a dancer moving across the stage can seem to take longer than it does. Anyway that’s my theory. Ryan has dared to mention in the past that Hot Gossip were the more athletic and thus more suited to a faster paced choreography. Not too sure if speed was Legs & Co’s problem in itself or rather that Flick’s style did not fit in with a quicker pace than maybe Arlene Phillips work did.

I find the dance by Legs & Co enjoyable, a solid piece of ensemble dancing if performed in slightly dubious costumes, too much is made against them in criticism, really. The darkish setting does not help either but if a clearer copy becomes available or is at all possible then I foresee this dance being more favourably commented upon than so far.

9/10.
Stu

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978

Stu
I like a lot of Elton's earlier stuff, but this isn't one of them unfortunately, I find the tune a bit boring and repetitive. However I didn't feel the same about the routine which I thought was varied with lots of nice little intricacies. Not a lot in it for DOTD but I was drawn to the facial expressions Miss Peters was giving which gives her the nod from me.

8.5/10

DOTD  Pauline

Stuey

Re: PART TIME LOVE -- 1978