Quantcast

PASSION IN MOISTURE - RIVERSIDE

Old Grey Whistler
PASSION IN MOISTURE - RIVERSIDE
Original Broadcast Date:  31/01/1983
Troupe: N/A
Dancers: Sue Menhenick & Ikky Maas
Link: http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=1992

We have arrived at the 31/01/1983. It Is just over a year since Sue made her final appearance on TOTP.  Now she is back, appearing on BBC2’s arts programme, Riverside.
Riverside was an early evening show broadcast on BBC2. It was similar to The Southbank Show but lighter in tone and aimed at a younger audience.
Mick Karn, previously of the band Japan, provides the music, Passion In Moisture, which features on his debut solo album, ‘Titles’
Sue’s dance partner is Ikky Maas who is from Holland. He came to London to dance for the Ballet Rambert Dance Company. Also at the Ballet Rambert at this time was Michael Ho who choreographed this performance. The aim was to interpret two mannequins dancing together which is why both dancers remain expressionless throughout.
Commenting on this very forum way back in 2011, Sue remarked : "Having been classically trained, it was "refreshing" to do something so contemporary and different from the more commercial styles I am normally associated with"
Both Maas and Ho remain involved in the dance world, teaching to a new generation of aspiring performers.

I imagine that this may not be too popular with many of you. The cold and impersonal nature of the dance is far removed from anything that Sue did on TOTP. But I have to say that this is a dance that I enjoy watching. I find the music quite hypnotic and the choreography is perfectly pitched to it. The performances of both dancers are immaculate, it is as though they are dancing as one. I would think that it must have been quite difficult for them to keep such straight faces throughout the performance. I wouldn't want all dances to be like this but I think that this makes for a refreshing change and so I am scoring quite high at 8.75 out of 10. I am very interested though to see what you make of it.

Re: PASSION IN MOISTURE - RIVERSIDE

An interesting performance to say the least.  I have to say that this is one of those dance pieces which I find highly skillful and excellently presented but ultimately just not quite to my taste.  Both dancers stay completely in character and the dance fits the music perfectly but I am not quite able to find enjoyment beyond the admiration I feel.  It is certainly good to have the chance to see Sue in a completely new light but I think 7/10  is a good reflection of my reaction to this artistic dance.  I think it's more of a disc decorating the wall than a 45 regularly on the turntable honestly

Re: PASSION IN MOISTURE - RIVERSIDE

You know its funny but the Sue solo from just over a year before this scored extremely highly, no doubt sentiment played a part and also i got the impression folk were marking Sue's whole career on that final TOTPs dance of hers. Hey, add me to the list as i laid down my maximum too. But this dance performance is far more difficult to perform. Due to the mood of the dance, everything has to be precise and any error however small would be noticeable.

Make no mistake, this is a technically challenging dance but is executed crisply and without fault. Of course equal credit goes to the male half here also. But what a wonderfully talented and versatile dancer Sue was, and im sure still is. For me this just underlines the fact that she was the most naturally gifted of all our dancers.

Anyway, enough of the gushing praise.

`10 out of 10` for sheer artistry of ones craft.

Re: PASSION IN MOISTURE - RIVERSIDE

The Rubberband Man
Never seen this before, but what an utterly amazing performance. Totally brilliant. A technically challenging contemporary dance sequence of the very highest order, and executed beautifully by both Sue and her partner.

Sue is an amazing dancer and she is totally outstanding in everything she does. Here, in particular, when it's one on one, she's flawless, conveying subliminal dramatic expression and movement to Mick Karn's musical composition.

It’s officially awesome….  10/10

Re: PASSION IN MOISTURE - RIVERSIDE

PattiForPM
Now I feel like a Philistine (hopefully I can still say that)

Re: PASSION IN MOISTURE - RIVERSIDE

Its technically very accomplished and for that both dancers deserve a commendation, and doubtless it was an interesting challenge to try something so different.  But does it float my boat?  In a word, no.  Technical merit 10/Artistic interest 3/Overall 6.5.

Re: PASSION IN MOISTURE - RIVERSIDE

Mikey
Having checked out a few clips of this show it definitely offered a highly alternative musical selection, so this piece of leftfield electronic weirdness obviously fits right in with ethos of the show. I'm not sure i truly 'get it' (as in enjoy it) but its certainly worth a few views to catch all the little nuances they sequenced to this cold and brooding piece. The idea of making the movements somewhat rigid and jerky goes against what you normally associate with dance that of a smooth and flowing movement, so a bold and interesting piece that would probably lack any maas appeal (sorry, couldn't resist). To showcase the wider world of the dancers is exactly what this area of the forum is about and its a worthy edition, i'll give it 8/10

Here's a version of the dance that has Mick Karn introduce it and discuss his, err artwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Bes4tFC6I

Re: PASSION IN MOISTURE - RIVERSIDE

PattiForPM
Mikey wrote
To showcase the wider world of the dancers is exactly what this area of the forum is about
 Hear hear Mikey and well done OGW in your varied choices so far