PICTURES OF LOST AND UNIDENTIFIED ROUTINES (INDEX 1 to 30)

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

Doc
This combined with Pan's probably having to supply their own outfits (the reuse of the Bucket T dresses) means that this is probably one of the very first appearances by them.

I think I read somewhere that their in their first appearance there was only 3 of them!

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

VintageVideos
Indeed... and those three were Dee Dee, Flick & Ruth - just as in the picture!
Vin

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

Doc
New girls on the show could well have caught the camera mans eye. Shame the picture does not have a date.

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

Could this be US Male on 30-5-68 then?

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

VintageVideos
No, I don't think so. US Male was performed by the whole troupe, i.e. six dancers. But it could be their first performance as Pan's People (noone seems to know which track they danced to, possibly Young Girl).
Vin

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

Willoway
This post was updated on .
If this is showing the original three-piece performance:

* It's Box Tops/Cry Like a Baby on 18th April if you take the Badman narrative (from record collector)
* Alternatively it's GP & Union Gap/Young Girl if you take the Dee Dee narrative (though her account varies a bit from interview to interview, I touched on this in a recent thread)

Flick choreographs in both these scenarios.

Regardless, for two of them (Ruth and Dee Dee) it may not have been their first appearance as they may have appeared with other dancers on 1910 Fruitgum company/Simon Says, though it's not clear if this ever was shown even if rehearsed. Obviously this photo can't be that performance due to the presence of Flick even if the other (non-Pan) dancers are cropped.

Other than these three tracks, I don't think anything else is usually suggested as a 'first' track.
...is she really going out with him?

Wikipedia says they danced to Respect by Aretha Franklin, but I'm sure this is a misunderstanding. They used the steps from Respect but they didn't dance to it on TOTP (says the book).
Vin

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

Willoway
I took out the reference to Respect on the PP Wikipedia page as it didn't accurately reflect the supplied reference, in the same way as you described.

As I said, only three songs are normally suggested as the first ;-)
...is she really going out with him?

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

Kaleidoscope are listing a routine on 2-5-68 to Honey by Bobby Goldsborough, surely that cant be right

http://www.kaleidoscopepublishing.co.uk/PDF/books-toppop-sample.pdf

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

Willoway
Yet another nice find which gives us a third 1968 narrative, it's  appealing as it seems to fit in the gojo's hotly debated jumping jack flash appearance.

Stripping in the relevant stuff:
18/4 box tops credited to disc/dancers: Sounds like a candidate for  the pans people three piece performance (though goes against dee dee's recollections)
2/5 bobby goldsboro credited to pans people: A new one to me. Promo for gp/union gap shown in this episode, maybe pp were involved in this too in some way, giving rise to some of the confusion.
30/5 Elvis credited to disc/pans people: No dispute on this one
20/6 rolling stones credited to disc/dancers: Sounds like the outlying gojo performance  with Dolores bourne

I doubt they were dancing to Honey. Surely you couldn't reuse the steps of "Respect" for that song! And it's undisputed that their first proper six piece routine was US male on 30/5/68. Going by what the book says, US male was only their second appearance on TOTP as Pan's People.
Vin

It would be interesting to know the source of the kaleidescope/bfi  data, whether it's predictive or retrospective. Maybe honey was originally planned but  young girl was done.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

Sacha Distel 17/2/70 (for number 15)

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

Doc
I wonder how easy it was to remove Paul Newman and Robert Redford from the set? I've seen a picture with them lifted up towards the ceiling. Although looking at them (routine 3) I think they were reused in a later studio set up. It does make me think that this picture may be the first use of them and as they were probably quite expensive to make they wanted to reuse them.

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

Mikey
They are probably the equivalent of posters/large photos, attached to boards so can be easily moved around as needed.

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

Mikey
Unknown 1970 routine, as posted by Andeebee

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

PansLegs
Mikey wrote
Unknown 1970 routine, as posted by Andeebee
It's from 9/7/70 but I don't believe what's depicted would be the Four Tops performance, more likely the opening titles.

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

Mikey
Thanks PL, yes looking at the setup there, limited scope for movement on that stage, so logically it would be the intro. These ran until October, replaced by the hologram style one is that right?

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

PansLegs
Yes

Re: PICTURES Don't Comment here yet!

Eggandchips
Re No 19 "Another Day"Paul McCartney: I cannot recall the song they danced to but this still pic reminds me of a routine they did where initially they are all sitting demurely on chairs and one by one loosen up and get into the tune (removing hats, shaking long hair free etc) until by the end every girl is boogeying. I may be wrong , it would be neither the first nor last time, but somehow "Another Day" isn't the tune I associate with this routine. Are we sure about the date of the photo?