PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

   Play That Funky Music was penned by Rob Parissi, lead singer of the Ohio-based Band Wild Cherry in response to a comment by a group of black fans at a gig in Pittsburgh’s 2001 Club saying repeatedly “Are you white boys gonna play some Funky Music?”  Reportedly drummer Ron Beitle was actually the first to coin the phrase “Play that Funky Music White Boy” and then Parissi ran with it right to the bank.  It reached  #1 on the US Billboard Chart and was #1 in Canada and got to #7 in the UK but only #42 in Germany ( where they were probably still recovering from Jeans On).  Sadly apart from this song Wild Cherry were unable to break  into the Top 40 ever again but Mr Parissi is apparently still playing music, perhaps with more of a Jazz bent nowadays but he’s quite a celeb in his hometown Mingo Junction where they have a Rob Parissi Boulevard and even a Rob Parissi Day every August 11th as a result of his Charitable efforts at home.

         PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC   -   Wild Cherry                             Oct 14th 1976

                                         DANCERS:    Floid, Lulu, Patti, Phil, Sue

   LINK:  http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x265ps3_ruby-flipper-play-that-funky-music-totp-tx-14-10-1976_creation

   This Ruby Flipper swansong is quite steamily played by the ensemble and very effective it is too, to my eyes.  The highly slit skirts, flashing midriffs and stocking tops and copious hip action all add to a sensual feast and I must say #22 plays a fine game here too.  I especially like Floid’s mock surprise when he is captured by the Camera in the first chorus.  There are many highlights here and I’m going to leave most of them to the rest of you to critique but I really must commend the lighting and camera work here as it’s very easy on the eyes and there are so many worthy screen-caps that I had more trouble than ever before choosing which to use.  Choosing DotD is very tricky for me and Floid was very close, Sue super-sexy, Phil super-lucky, Lulu super-sweet but in the end Patti is just plain irresistible.  The mark is definitely a 10/10  for my favourite RF routine of all and how neat is it that they ended on such a very high note.  What do you think?

  PS.  This is my last offering on the Ruby Flipper Comments Thread.  I just want to thank everyone who has taken part and given their time and effort towards making this a success.  I admit to being a little apprehensive at first but there was plenty of debate and interesting reviews so I need not have fretted.  I intend to post a little highlight reel of your best comments later but for now I leave you with one of their best Dances and one that suggested to me there might have been more very good things to come from this somewhat revolutionary Troupe.  Now I don’t want you to be swayed in your marks by any crass sentimentality just because this is the end…..oh go on then

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

VintageVideos
Great song by Wild Cherry, and one I quite liked back in 1976. I never bought the single though, so I guess the lowly chart position in Germany is at least partly my fault as well.
Ruby Flipper are definitely going out with a bang here. This routine clearly demonstrates the potency of the mixed troupe, and it makes you sad to think what could have become of RF without their premature departure. The way that all five shine during different parts of the performance leaves no doubt that they had arrived as a unit. Those five dancers appear on stage not merely as the final incarnartion of Ruby Flipper, but rather as the definite Ruby Flipper line-up - this is Ruby Flipper as it always should have been.
It's not exactly an easy song to dance to, but just look what they made of it! This is such a diverse routine with so many different parts that you never get tired of watching it. I doubt if any of the other troupes could have pulled this number in such a perfect way.
PTFM, although an excellent routine, is not quite my favourite Ruby Flipper performance (that is of course Morning Glory), but it comes very close, so I don't hesitate to rate it

10 / 10

DotD is indeed very tricky, but even after repeated watching, I can't help but give this award to 'white boy' Floid who just owns the song and the dance. This choice is also my parting token to an extraordinary troupe which was way ahead of its time and had to leave the stage before their full potential was ever realized.

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Ruby Flipper certainly went out, just as they came in, with a bang, & the backing track of their swan song performance is an upbeat disco trac, just like the one for their debut.
They lost a couple of member along the way, but the remaining dancers give us an outstanding display here, an occasion, maybe tinged with sadness as Ruby Flipper are bowing out after this performanc, but everybody seems really happy, & they're all clearly enjoying themselves here.
Lulu in particular looks amazing, & you can plainly tell from looking at her face during her close-up camera shots, that she's grown significantly in confidence, since her aforementioned debut appearance on TOTPs, small wonder that she'd endure as one of our favourite dancers.

9/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

While, I would imagine, not an easy song to choreograph, Flick has devised a fine routine which highlights the strengths of a mixed gender troupe and delivers a strong finish to the Ruby tenure.  All five dancers are excellent and while Floid gets more camera time there is no denying Phil's 'lucky blighter' status, the very jammy fellow!
The colour palette is also spot on and the costumes very appealing, although here I have one caveat.....  doubtless Flick's decision, but why only one of the girls has her split skirt where a split skirt should surely be rather defeats me.  A very minor quibble though as this dance is number three in my RF Top Ten, just behind MG and just a little further back from HOMS, so well worth a 10 with Sue as the Dotd.

I'd also like to say how much I've enjoyed reading P4PM's background notes to the Ruby Flipper routines and appreciate all the work that he, and the other two comments hosts, have put into them each week.

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Its been a long held belief of mine that this quintet should have been the sum total of the new dance troupe that debuted 161 days previously on TOTPs. Maybe a 4th girl wouldn't have gone a miss, but three boys was i feel was just too much of a shock to the system for TOTPs regulars back then. But history cant be re-written.

Like the previous routine `RBM`, our five performers put on a colouful show. I guess its a sexy tune and the dancers do a great job in ramping up the sexuality. There is so much to feast ones eyes on, as our stocking clad beauties and the two boys give it one last shot. Id say one of my all time favourite TOTPs scenes takes place in this, the bit were Lulu hip slinks her way past Phil & Floid.

Obviously by this time all five dancers knew their eventual fate. I like to think then that they put on an extra special effort for this routine, just for old times sake, but they were just doing what they did best and i suppose to them it was just another dance.

As for DOTD, well how can the three girls be split. All three are terrific. I feel i should give it to the out going Phil, but `Floid really stood out here and he is my choice.

Rating--I'd say i have an 11 out of 10 for all three dance troupes, i would have played that card on Pans (WWISYA) , ive yet to play it on Legs, but im playing here for Ruby Flipper. As 11's are not allowed, then its `10 out of 10`. I could watch this routine over and over again and never tire of it.
I know hes not one for having a fuss created, but i also have to say huge thanks for P4PM for his efforts on making this section a success. I knew from the off he was the man for this job and i i'm glad he agreed to offer his services. Being a host never stops though, and i take it P4PM will be on hand to edit any future scoreboards that pertain to this section. I really hope folk know that they can keep on adding comments and ratings and that business here or the other two comments sections is never closed.

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Colm
A fine way to draw the curtain on this particular series - as well as the short tenure of Ruby Flipper as TOTP's resident dancers. Nice movements, and this is one of the routines where Floid's actions don't cross into annoyance in my book.

"Play That Funky Music" demonstrates why Patti and Lulu were the right choices for the new direction in dance - and while it's adieu Phil and au revoir Floid, they leave the stage - and what was a turbulent time - with their heads held high.

DotD: Patti is most on form here

Score: 9.5

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Gorgeous Daze
So with a mixture of celebration and sadness here we finally are with Ruby Flipper going out with guns blazing all over again 38 years hence. Nothing but the ultimate sexy colour-scheme tempered with white and provocative antidote-to-Depression era female attire suffices. Even Cherry's back for the occasion, gone wild at Patti's shoulder. It's oh-so cool and one of those take-your-pick of the stand-outs and you never want to see it draw to a double end. So...The shape-throwing formations. The troupe forming a line like a curtain call recalling May's curtain-up. Much pleasing hip-work. Sue showing her claws. Patti's strut. Floid and Phil demonstrating how not to be funky with a bit of Mud roadie dancing. Floid's 'Who Me?' in the face of accusations of possessing a condescending attitude. This youngster proved time and again what a precocious performer he was. And as we can all see once again Phil too was ready to carry off the spoils. But with all due respect to the lads Sue and Patti filter the remainder into soft focus for me, with Lulu not yet ripe for sexy and confident-with-it. It's hardly possible to settle on an exquisite split between the two of them, until it centres on Patti turning on the sensuality to see it all out. I'll go on then.  10/10  DOTD Patti.

Many many thanks to our host, who has done a first-rate job over nigh-on two years. You couldn't find a more genial guide to lead us on the happy journey back to this little corner of that glorious summer and past and beyond to the new line-up and difficult second album. His introductions with a mix of info, opinion and characteristic good-natured humour were always a pleasure and his follow-up responses and gentle encouragement continued the threads in the perfect tone. Oh...10/10. Anyone would think they grow on trees.

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

PattiforPM
You guys are too kind.  This fine Dance is certainly scoring well and I can't deny I'm thrilled to see it.  BTW as Ryan has suggested I will certainly be keeping these Threads maintained far into the future and I'm hoping you'll all consider filling in the gaps in your resumes (or CVs to you I suppose).  My very next job will be to finally make good on my promise to produce a "What You haven't voted on yet" Thread.  In the meantime we need more votes on this Ruby Flipper farewell treat so please please please, more reviews....

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Andeebee
Adieu and bon voyage to the good ship Ruby Flipper, nearly missing out being struck and sunk by that iceberg known as Lena...

A powerhouse knockout end to  a tempestuous 6 months, of highs and lows........a fitting way to end this troupe, a nice idea but too far ahead of it's time (idea picked up again a couple of years later and done more successfully by Hot Gossip), a real shame as it could of continued on, as Ryan said add one more girl to the mix and it would of  carried on nicely.  Yet, alas, not to be.  Some nice moments in the tenure, some great routines, and some stinkers.

So to the end my friends, a dance to one track to be honest I hate with relish, in fact I detest it, I would rather watch with sound off.  It doesn't take away from the super routine unfolding in front of our eyes, the set looking like some sparse Moulin Rouge style decor, the young girls are simply heavenly, and the boys (mainly Floid) shine like big shiny stars for the briefest moment in time.  Wonderful ending to a simple strange, patchy and at times utterly brilliant tenure.

Some class moments, some exciting moments and looks that melt the hardest hearts, some moments of sheer desire, this all brings tears to ADB's eyes, and a  lump to the throat.

Scores: 10/10

DOTD: damn this is difficult but has to be the highly sexually charged Sue, with her dress slashed so high I could drop my cup of tea on the floor (oh those legs)......yowsah yowsah (cold shower time for me)

PS: I must congratulate the host of this thread, for doing this short tenure with so such style and passion, and mostly for being patient to change all the links, so please keep clicking and rating these, now I will wait to rate the missing 4......long long wait thou

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

PattiforPM
Andeebee wrote
Some class moments, some exciting moments and looks that melt the hardest hearts, some moments of sheer desire, this all brings tears to ADB's eyes, and a  lump to the throat.
Thanks ADB.  One of the most touching sentences written about these Dancers in my estimation so thanks again.  The Flippers' official response "You're welcome and we'd love to hear from more of you"

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Andeebee wrote
 this all brings tears to ADB's eyes, and a  lump to the throat.
Andee playing the drama queen card to the max  Love it.

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Andeebee wrote
 this all brings tears to ADB's eyes, and a  lump to the throat.
Andee playing the drama queen card to the max  Love it.

well you have to doncha.....LOL

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Mikey
Well done Patti4PM for seeing this through to the finish

So Ruby Flipper suffer the same lack of any acknowledgement of this being their farewell dance that Pans People did six months earlier, shameful. Thankfully this is not just some lackluster affair, a great trio of dances 'Best Disco In Town', 'Rubberband Man' and now 'Play That Funky Music' prove they could have gone on and on, had the powers that be allowed them to. A shame Cherry could not have hung on just the last 2 weeks, but with a dance this good i can't grumble.

To start with this is a great track, always a plus and Ruby Flipper had a few duffers to contend with along the way, but we all know what those were. Lulu, Patti and Sue, what can i say? you look flippin great!, those red, white and black outfits in various combos with the little shawls some of the best outfits of the entire run. Phil and Floid keep with the colour combination but in a more regular sort of way, and Floids chunky shoes are a little curious.

Dance wise again really good, everyone seems to get into the groove, theres the obvious 'white boy' gag involving Floid, Lulu managing to slip past Phil and Floid whilst they do some kind of Mud tribute, Phil carrying Sue for a bit and so on. A goodbye kiss from the 3 ladies is a nice touch (also done on Pans last day in More, More, More...), i could go on but the routine ultimatly speaks for itself. Goodbye Ruby Flipper, 10/10. DOTD Sue.

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

PattiforPM
Thanks Mikey.  You're quite right about RF's hot finishing sprint too.  Only one more review and this fine Dance can join the table (perhaps near the top too!)  Who will be the next to contribute friends?

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

PaulF
A good routine for RF to bow out on. Everybody seemed to enjoy themselves and it showed in the performance. 9/10

DOTD Sue
Paul

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

PattiforPM
Your attention is appreciated PaulF and you'll be pleased to see that this performance is ranking very highly at present.  I quite agree that the Troupe seemed to enjoy this one and one wonders what was going through their minds approaching their last Dance together.  I also wonder if Gill, Pauline or Rosie got to watch rehearsals or maybe attend TOTP in preparation for their upcoming debut....

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

bucksby
yeah a good farewell to Ruby although 3 fifths of them will rise from the ashes so to speak. The girls were much better attired than the two boys, Patti in particular looked great. the routine gets a 9 although nothing really groundbreaking despite it being a great song wouldn't have been easy to come up with a dance. RIP Ruby DOTD Patti.

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

Andy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

PattiforPM
Many thanks Andy and you have boosted Lulu to #2 in the Ruby DotD contest and put this performance back into the Top 5 in the Crème de la Crème Table too

Re: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC

SuPaLu
Though it is enjoyable,it's not one of my favourites,indeed i don't think this is Ruby Flipper's best.The rhythm is dis-jointed and the dancing is too,with too much striking a pose.Give me 'Shake Shake Shake' any day.8/10
DotD:Floid